Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

What a turn of events. 20 years ago SLC was PHX’s AHL affiliate. Now it appears AZ could be the farm club for UT. The NHL is hilarious. Only league where Phoenix could be the farm for Salt Lake! Haha.

That would be just like backing up a dump truck full of salt from the dry lake bed in Utah and dumping it all over the fans.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Trying to see through the fog of information on line. Some people on twitter and this site keep posting Arizona has made money the last 2 years. I am not asking for anyone to report that meme or graph stating it. But to show the breakdown of how they have turned a profit the last two years. What has been included and what has not been included. I figure this board would have some idea how it could be done playing in a 4700 arena.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
If the league is pushing AM to sell outside Arizona, I might be done with the NHL.

Bettman himself helped setting the stage in Glendale. He made sure COG knew the league and Coyotes weren't committed on staying. Without those digs at Glendale's viability, maybe the GRA could've been a short-term fix under AM. But no, AM walked into this mess right as Bettman was ramping up his anti-Glendale talk. Despite all that, AM's made some solid moves. The front office is looking better than ever, and for once, the arena plans seem solid. Now, just as we're getting close to the auction and possibly securing an arena, League backs out? They're balking at one extra year in Mullett Arena, an arena they previously approved? What the hell.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
I'm watching all this from afar, so I wouldn't feel the local impact like you guys. But I've been a wreck all day, barely sleeping, and close to tears all day. The Yotes have been my team for 15+ years. I've sunk so many hours into following them, talking about them, sacrificing sleep to watch games being played in the middle of the night. Being a Coyotes fan has been my identity.

I'm so done with Canadian media painting every piece of Coyotes news as a league embarrassment. I'm fed up with NHL fans being dicks about hockey in Arizona. I'm tired of the traditionalists and relocationists, and them being right this time just kills me. I can't see myself joining other NHL fans to root for a team in SLC.

If this is where it ends I'm going to miss F40, the PHNX folks, and even the Yotes' broadcast team so much. This community has been a lifeline in tough times. My Coyotes fandom is always what I pivot to when life's got me down.

UK Yote

Jun 28, 2018
I'm watching all this from afar, so I wouldn't feel the local impact like you guys. But I've been a wreck all day, barely sleeping, and close to tears all day. The Yotes have been my team for 15+ years. I've sunk so many hours into following them, talking about them, sacrificing sleep to watch games being played in the middle of the night. Being a Coyotes fan has been my identity.

I'm so done with Canadian media painting every piece of Coyotes news as a league embarrassment. I'm fed up with NHL fans being dicks about hockey in Arizona. I'm tired of the traditionalists and relocationists, and them being right this time just kills me. I can't see myself joining other NHL fans to root for a team in SLC.

If this is where it ends I'm going to miss F40, the PHNX folks, and even the Yotes' broadcast team so much. This community has been a lifeline in tough times. My Coyotes fandom is always what I pivot to when life's got me down.
I'm kinda with you on this. Living in the UK but followed this team from its arrival in Arizona. lucky enough to visit for a month each October and getting my handful of live games then watching in the early hours on a UK broadcast channel. Unfortunately never got to the Mullett other than walking round the outside, extortionate prices with pound = dollar, and now looks likely this year when I visit it will be a trip to Tucson or possibly an ASU game.
This whole thing sucks but following this team has certainly been a rollercoaster mostly shaking my head at the endless crap that has followed this team around, ownership, management, venues etc
Endless nastiness aimed at the fans (Leafs fans mostly) who during all this shite just wanted a team to support and watch them finally win something.
It will be what it will be and some people will finally get their wish to be able to shout out "Told you it wouldn't work in the desert" but at a horrible cost to the true fans of the Arizona Coyotes!

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
I just don't know how to feel about this.

I don't have any ties to the area, hell I haven't ever even visited NA. Still I don't think my passion towards this franchise carries to SLC if relocation happens, atleast in same way as it is now. I have been a fan since 2011, I just feel empty

Last edited:

More Cooley

We walk together forever
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2015

Amen. Same here, couldn't have said it better. Coyotes has been a part of my daily routine for a decade. Hell I even renovated my house listening to PHNX podcasts. :laugh: And to pick and choose any other team is out of the question right now....This is gut wrenching and it feels so sad and empty.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Amen. Same here, couldn't have said it better. Coyotes has been a part of my daily routine for a decade. Hell I even renovated my house listening to PHNX podcasts. :laugh: And to pick and choose any other team is out of the question right now....This is gut wrenching and it feels so sad and empty.
I also listen to PHNX while doing home improvements or chores. Not sure how I'd manage the dishes if the podcast doesn't exist 😂

I had hoped us F40 Swedes could link up someday to catch a game together.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Conspiracy time: the NHL leaked the SLC expansion interest when they did in hopes it would distract the Coyotes and ultimately remove the possibility of playoff games at Mullett.

Smith did a long form interview with 32 Thoughts earlier this year. I’ll have to relisten. I remember him being a tech bro douche.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
A bunch of us came from Winnipeg, with a stop in Arizona and hopefully a final home somewhere.For the players, NHL and fans hopefully all the bs we have been through for years is finally finished. Funny thing is did we talk more about hockey or the teams woe over the last 20 years. Wish for a better outcome but this by far has been the best Yotes fans website.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
It’s wild that the NHL seems to be giving up on a 15 year fight in Arizona over needing to add 1 more year at Mullett. Of all the things over which to say “enough is enough”.

For the players, help me understand why they may not like SLC? Climate is nice and topography is a bit similar to Arizona. Yes, it’s not Scottsdale but it’s probably still a better city to live in than half of the other NHL cities. Anyone who wants out over this should be traded to Buffalo, Ottawa, etc.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
It’s wild that the NHL seems to be giving up on a 15 year fight in Arizona over needing to add 1 more year at Mullett. Of all the things over which to say “enough is enough”.

For the players, help me understand why they may not like SLC? Climate is nice and topography is a bit similar to Arizona. Yes, it’s not Scottsdale but it’s probably still a better city to live in than half of the other NHL cities. Anyone who wants out over this should be traded to Buffalo, Ottawa, etc.
I guess certain players could be fed up with the turmoil of the franchise and just want to go somewhere more established. Keller could decide it's time to go to his hometown St Louis Blues, he's been a good soldier in Arizona and he deserves the best.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I want Uncle Gary to have to explain to the BOG why SLC instead of Houston. At least with Houston you could argue it's "superior" -- larger market, etc.
The BOG wants Ryan Smith in the club. That is 100% it. That's the whole reasoning. That overwhelmed any future concern about Salt Lake as a viable market, or indeed any other consideration. A bunch of rich asshats wanted to schmooze with another rich asshat.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I guess hold out hope that it's the NHL putting pressure on Meruelo and this isn't being pushed by his side. He might just be negotiating and that's what's leaked. Hopefully he's committed to getting it done and holding onto the team and this is all just him ultimately holding the cards despite pressure from the league. If he doesn't want to sell now, what can the league do? They agreed he could be in Mullett Arena for 3+ years and that's what he's been doing up until now. Guess we'll find out for sure in not too long.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I think that's right, and they wanted to grab his $1B before there may have been a change of heart.

The CBA expires following the 2025-26 season, and the current arrangement is owners get every dollar when expansion occurs. Players getting nothing. So, they are rushing to expand to 34 (or 36?) teams over the next 2 seasons. You can be damned sure the players will want a slice of this pie in the next CBA, and by that time the NHL may be done with expansion anyway.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I want Uncle Gary to have to explain to the BOG why SLC instead of Houston. At least with Houston you could argue it's "superior" -- larger market, etc.
Friedman on PHNX sounded like Bettman & others in the league fell in love with Ryan Smith.

While SLC Metro is only 1.27 million, the combined statistical area that includes Ogden and Provo is 2.7 million (obviously a lot of that is relatively far away from the Jazz arena), so still far less than the 5 million in Phoenix Metro.

As an outsider, but someone with an urban planning degree, if Utah NHL is just meh or even bad, will they be able to get consistent support when they're playing Tuesday and Thursday night games against the Senators, Blue Jackets, Islanders, Ducks, Hurricanes, Jets, etc? How many are willing to drive 45 mins to an hour plus on weeknight for a meh NHL team they have little connection to? It's a Jazz market, plus the long standing tradition and support for Utah and BYU NCAA athletics. With Seattle, the market was more aware of hockey (Dub presence in the PNW) and the metro is much larger than Salt Lake City.

I just have skepticism about Salt Lake City/Utah as a whole and would prefer the Coyotes stay in Arizona with a new arena in the East/North Valley, competent ownership, and get back in the playoffs to give the diehard Coyotes fans what they deserve. The whole situation currently sucks, heart goes out to you all.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I wonder if CoP steps up with some extra financial support, now that the deal is about to fail.
It would obviously be contentious and there would be a higher litigation risk.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
I'm really sorry guys. I'm a Canes fan but my heart always belonged to the Yotes ever since 5 year old me fell in love with their uniforms in 96. AZ was my favorite vacation spot. I've caught many Yotes and Roadrunner games and met some great people there, some who used to post here. I lurk here a lot but don't feel I have a place to post here but I always have one eye on how the team is doing. This is really souring me on the NHL. @The Feckless Puck and @Dirty Old Man are my favorite posters on the whole board.

I know Phoenix is a great market and I won't give up until Bettman confirms this crap. During the Canes drama pre-Dundon relocation felt very real. I knew that whatever happened that I'd be ok and would move on with my life if the worst happened. I wouldn't become a bitter xenophobic a-hole like many of our Canadian friends. I feel like you guys are a great group and whatever the future holds for you that you don't forget each other and the connections you made through this stupid ass league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad