Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Bring on the SLC Soakers!

If there is no NHL in Phoenix after the dust settles and since I've no emotional ties to Tucson, I'd be game for Roadrunners back in Phoenix. Back in the IHL days I watched them at Kalamazoo games. Wee bit disappointed when I moved out here to find they had expired.

• Haha
Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
My days keep on getting worse....
First the team is on the brink of moving. Then I have to redo huge parts of my thesis introduction further delaying my thesis (not good at all) and then i miss the thesis meeting on the next part of the thesis.

I guess its true what they say: If it rains it pours.

Last edited:

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I'm a home team fan primarily as well. But while I might be able to eventually forget about Cooley and Guenther and Maccelli, I won't forget nor will I cheer against Josh Doan. The Doans were the only Coyotes player family to be proactive in defending our market over the past quarter century. Many ex-Coyotes live here and contribute to the hockey culture, but Shane Doan did more than anyone else in the world to try and keep hockey in Arizona at times. Add to that, the Doans are the absolute epitome of class - and I admire them in all possible ways (even religiously, and I'm no longer anywhere close to religious). So I will follow Josh's career no matter where he goes and hope he ends up in the HoF someday.

The Salt Lake Valley is already close to critical capacity in terms of population. Provo might as well be in another state when it comes to "Salt Lake" sports teams - even with the FrontRunner connecting the cities, Provo is a college town and very few of those students bother with anything more than the occasional Jazz game or the annual BYU/UofU challenge game. If they're hoping for a big influx of STH from Provo, just know it's less likely than building a STH base in Gilbert for an arena in Glendale - Provo is farther away from SLC than Gilbert is from Phoenix, and during rush hour on the 15 it's a dead stop for HOURS. Good luck with that.
I will follow the team no matter where they go..
Agree with everything you said about Shane Doan.

If they do move, I hope the owner is smart enough to to keep all of the staff.

But having said that, I don’t believe AM sells.. I think this will go to court before that happens.. I could be wrong, but he is stubborn.. his first speech to Yotes fans was he is keeping the team here , and he doesn’t fail.

I think he is smart enough to know that if he sells now, there is no guarantee there will be fans if he has to start over.

However they may make him an offer he can’t refuse

Edit yikes OJ Simpson died ….. squirrel

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I agree completely. Doing a fly by night, slap dash, rush job of a relocations, barely held together by bandaids, bubble gum and bailing wire does not seem like a way to treat a billion dollar asset, either. Feels like a very bad beginning to me. Like the Jets to AWA but even worse.

So much of this decision feels incredibly short sighted and honestly like the choices people make when they’re overly eager (Smith) and overly exhausted (Board of Governors).

Not only does this choice hurt me and hurt this community. I think it’s a mistake. Pure and simple. A big mistake.
They are repeating the same primary mistake on the AZ to SLC move as they did on the Wpg to Phx move. Teams should not move to a new community without an arena and the Delta Center qualifies as a hockey arena as much or less than AWA did.

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
Keeps going at this time.

Meruelo can buy the land with the $1 billion he gets from the sale and continue to develop it.

What happens from there is anyone’s guess.
So I guess I’m out of the loop. Is he selling the team?

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
The BOG wants Ryan Smith in the club. That is 100% it. That's the whole reasoning. That overwhelmed any future concern about Salt Lake as a viable market, or indeed any other consideration. A bunch of rich asshats wanted to schmooze with another rich asshat.

Friedman on PHNX sounded like Bettman & others in the league fell in love with Ryan Smith.
Both of these are on the money. Remember, before taking over as NHL commish, he was Senior VP and general counsel to the NBA. To say he reveres the NBA and NBA owners would be an understatement.

I've disagreed with a lot he's done in his NHL career and always enjoy the boos that rain down on him when he comes out to present the Stanley Cup. But the NHL is better because of him, no doubt about it. Revenues are way up and the game itself--I believe--is better than ever.

Hell, his ego is the reason we've had a team to watch here since the league took over the team. His hand was forced in this latest development not only by pressure from the NHLPA but the BOG. Meruelo never wanted an NHL team; he wanted an NBA team. The NBA didn't want anything to do with him because they didn't trust him and wouldn't approve him for ownership.

Bettman greatly admires the NBA's way of vetting owners and team leadership. So of course he's high on Ryan Smith. He's also very taken with Ishbia and how Ishbia captains his ship. Ishbia wisely wanted nothing to do with the Coyote Stigma.

Bettman isn't done with the Valley.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Both of these are on the money. Remember, before taking over as NHL commish, he was Senior VP and general counsel to the NBA. To say he reveres the NBA and NBA owners would be an understatement.

I've disagreed with a lot he's done in his NHL career and always enjoy the boos that rain down on him when he comes out to present the Stanley Cup. But the NHL is better because of him, no doubt about it. Revenues are way up and the game itself--I believe--is better than ever.

Hell, his ego is the reason we've had a team to watch here since the league took over the team. His hand was forced in this latest development not only by pressure from the NHLPA but the BOG. Meruelo never wanted an NHL team; he wanted an NBA team. The NBA didn't want anything to do with him because they didn't trust him and wouldn't approve him for ownership.

Bettman greatly admires the NBA's way of vetting owners and team leadership. So of course he's high on Ryan Smith. He's also very taken with Ishbia and how Ishbia captains his ship. Ishbia wisely wanted nothing to do with the Coyote Stigma.

Bettman isn't done with the Valley.

I think they hope that when Ishbia wants a new arena for the Suns in the future that will be multi-purpose one fitted for an NHL team.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I'm starting to feel better now about this whole thing after catching up on the highlights of last night's game. I'm still sad overall, though. However, I'm reconsidering what I originally said, which is that I wouldn't follow this team anymore if we move to Utah. I just might. That said, a lot of the passion would be gone...
I will follow them from Ohio. Mainly because I have serious interest invested into these prospects we have accumulated. I’m not letting them take Logan Cooley, Dylan Guenther, Daniil But and company away from me. It’s been years since I’ve liven in Phoenix anyway, so I have been rooting from afar for awhile now. But like you said, there might be some passion decrease. Or maybe not. We shall see.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
TSN is calling Utah a southern state. Someone ought to tell them it's on the same parallel as Philadelphia.
Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona & New Mexico are generally considered to make up the Southwest. Not totally crazy to call it a "southern state" though obviously it is not a "southern state" the way Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana etc. are.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona & New Mexico are generally considered to make up the Southwest. Not totally crazy to call it a "southern state" though obviously it is not a "southern state" the way Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana etc. are.
Most I know don't think of Utah or Colorado as Southwest. They're just Western US states, as their main population centers have a Western climate and less so of a Southwest climate. I usually hear Oklahoma more in the Southwest state discussion than Utah or Colorado. Southern Utah, Southern Nevada, and Southern Colorado would be characterized as Southwest, but the whole states, definitely not to me.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
The price of an expansion franchise at that point will be something stupid. To get Phoenix back they'd need to give Ishbia a sweetheart deal.

That’s fair, I’m sure if they could’ve brokered a similar deal for the Coyotes with Ishbia that they are currently doing with Smith they would’ve done it. I’m guessing he wasn’t interested in that or AM isn’t allowing it. So seems like expansion in 5-10 years will be best option besides a Hail Mary attempt in the next few days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad