Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Why would you cheer for another team instead of following this team to Salt Lake? It’s going to be the same players, same prospects joining the team over the next couple of years. You’re in Germany right, not even in Arizona? So why wouldn’t you follow this roster to Salt Lake?
Because I am loyal to the team and the club.
If they move they loose their identity to me and i would feel like i would betray the team.
Most of this comes from the fact that I am european and that i have a different way of beeing a fan.
There are much more emotions attached to your team and organisation and the history than to the players themselves. And yes that also means i can be angry at the owner or people running the organisation. Just look at whats going on behind the scenes at my favourite Bundesliga Club VfB Stuttgart. The product on the pitch is phenomenal (from potential relegation last year to being tied for second with Munich) but behind the scenes there is a shitshow.
Still i cheer and remain a fan. A vocal one. But a fan.

The most likely scenario will be that I will not watch NHL at all anymore and stop spending time here.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Still don't like the idea that the NHL is doing this now, this far into the game and progress still being made. Especially since AM has been vetted A LOT by different entities over the last few years and they all found him credible.

Sure, TED was a failure on AM's part, but that had a much larger political challenge to it that this site doesn't.

The reasoning(s) we're hearing do make some sense, but they could also be wrong.
I agree. Seems like there's more to the story. Is he having trouble with financing? I mean look at interest rates. Commerical investment seems kind of insane right now. Is the cost of getting the land ready with freeway access and water and whatever else is needed more than they will be able to handle without taxpayer assistance? Or has Meruelo just been looking for a way out and we're just finding out about it? I'm sure it will come out eventually.

Reactions: Cameron Poe Dameron

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
last night I chose the purposefully skip the first game of the season, scrubbed my social media accounts of the team and affiliates, and ordered my new license plate to replace the coyotes one.

I’m done with the league

Reactions: Prarievarg

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Ive still yet to see any explanation on why Mullett suddenly became a problem. We knew the time frame going in and that hasn’t changed.

If there were concerns on Meruelo’s ability to build this then why did the NHL approve his ownership in the first place? Poor vetting is on them.
They’re quite experienced at poor vetting.

Reactions: Mosby

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
It seems to me that the NHL wants Meruelo out and Smith in.

If that's really the case I will have no respect left for the NHL. Unless AM is causing some other ruckus behind the scenes, pulling the plug at this stage and doing it because they like the other guy better is pretty crappy. Especially since there's a way they could have both.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Ive still yet to see any explanation on why Mullett suddenly became a problem. We knew the time frame going in and that hasn’t changed.

If there were concerns on Meruelo’s ability to build this then why did the NHL approve his ownership in the first place? Poor vetting is on them.
Yeah I would need a clear explanation from the NHL on this to continue investing in the league. Unfortunately, I doubt we'll get one, much like with the prospect "testing" penalty.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Here's the reality few of us want to face...

...Mullett was ALWAYS a problem. Always.

Every single part of that situation was at the very best putting lipstick on a turd.

Meruelo created the mess because he took the league's talking points about Glendale and their bad relationship with them over the Ice Clowns malfeasance and turned it all up WAY past 11. He torched the relationship so hard that they HAD to move out.

Everyone (including, for a while, me) tried to make the best of Mullett... it was at ASU, which helped the college team... it was East Valley, so it was near the part of fan base that very obviously was the only important one to the league... it was low capacity, which meant they would theoretically have more than enough inventory even for a depressed fan base, and they could charge exorbitant prices for it over the short term.

But you could tell Gary et al. were stunned by the whole thing and were caught off guard that THIS, of all things, was Meruelo's brilliant alternative. It was a shitty, shitty plan of attack at its foundation. The league and all of us were basically gritting our teeth and taking it because we thought TED was a total slam dunk... and then Meruelo f***ED IT there too. Gary Bettman from that point on looked at us like we were a monkey f***ing a football.

My friends, the Mullett is basically the thing that not only killed the Coyotes in Arizona, but probably killed all likelihood of a return franchise, because as we've seen even the richest diehards won't sell out even a 4,600 seat arena when the prices are that bad and the product isn't elite level.

f*** the trolls, but in one major way they are probably right - the Mullett was and is a horribly bad look for the league. There is no Mullett Magic except for the way it somehow kept the dim, weak candle of hope inside us diehards from going out forever.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Meruelo and the Coyotes don't have to disappear for SLC to get a team. It's hard to believe the "they like the other guy better" narrative.

Other side of the equation is the league doesn't like AM or his hardball approach. Likely they wanted him to sell to Ishbia at a lower price but he won't do it because he still feels he has a chance locally. So to 'spite' the league he is giving Smith a jumpstart, making more money, and sticking it to Bettman a bit. They aren't going to fight it because the upside outweighs whatever minimal benefit would come from fighting AM in court.

But the league also seems to be lowkey ecstatic with the swap. And it clears the way for them to trip up AM's exclusive window - if it even happens - and get Ishbia like they want at a price that works for him.

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Every single part of that situation was at the very best putting lipstick on a turd.

Meruelo created the mess because he took the league's talking points about Glendale and their bad relationship with them over the Ice Clowns malfeasance and turned it all up WAY past 11. He torched the relationship so hard that they HAD to move out.

Everyone (including, for a while, me) tried to make the best of Mullett... it was at ASU, which helped the college team... it was East Valley, so it was near the part of fan base that very obviously was the only important one to the league... it was low capacity, which meant they would theoretically have more than enough inventory even for a depressed fan base, and they could charge exorbitant prices for it over the short term.

But you could tell Gary et al. were stunned by the whole thing and were caught off guard that THIS, of all things, was Meruelo's brilliant alternative. It was a shitty, shitty plan of attack at its foundation. The league and all of us were basically gritting our teeth and taking it because we thought TED was a total slam dunk... and then Meruelo f***ED IT there too. Gary Bettman from that point on looked at us like we were a monkey f***ing a football.

My friends, the Mullett is basically the thing that not only killed the Coyotes in Arizona, but probably killed all likelihood of a return franchise, because as we've seen even the richest diehards won't sell out even a 4,600 seat arena when the prices are that bad and the product isn't elite level.

f*** the trolls, but in one major way they are probably right - the Mullett was and is a horribly bad look for the league. There is no Mullett Magic except for the way it somehow kept the dim, weak candle of hope inside us diehards from going out forever.
Funny that he says what you're saying and that one of the slim options is moving the team "temporarily" until the arena is built. That this is even an option no matter how small with an NHL arena sitting empty is hilarious. Like everything they've done, they f***ed this up about as bad as it could be.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
It’s wild that the NHL seems to be giving up on a 15 year fight in Arizona over needing to add 1 more year at Mullett. Of all the things over which to say “enough is enough”.

For the players, help me understand why they may not like SLC? Climate is nice and topography is a bit similar to Arizona. Yes, it’s not Scottsdale but it’s probably still a better city to live in than half of the other NHL cities. Anyone who wants out over this should be traded to Buffalo, Ottawa, etc.
been there; i think you are correct.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Other side of the equation is the league doesn't like AM or his hardball approach. Likely they wanted him to sell to Ishbia at a lower price but he won't do it because he still feels he has a chance locally. So to 'spite' the league he is giving Smith a jumpstart, making more money, and sticking it to Bettman a bit. They aren't going to fight it because the upside outweighs whatever minimal benefit would come from fighting AM in court.

But the league also seems to be lowkey ecstatic with the swap. And it clears the way for them to trip up AM's exclusive window - if it even happens - and get Ishbia like they want at a price that works for him.

I'm still holding on to a very, very little bit of hope that XG meant it when he said win the auction or relocate. That indicates that Meruelo isn't deciding anything until after the auction happens and provides me with the tiniest bit of hope I have left lol.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I fear this may be the case. If it is, XG went directly to the media and lied right to our faces, with intent.
Here’s food for thought. Fertitta just put a 25mil ice plant in the Toyota center and has been meeting with the nhl in NYC. Then you’ve got ATL hot and heavy.

If you do a relo to SLC then you can do an expansion to HOU and ATL. Suddenly you don’t miss that PHX market so much and you get 300M relo from SLC AND like 1.5B from EACH of HOU & ATL.

Pretty tidy business.

I'm still holding on to a very, very little bit of hope that XG meant it when he said win the auction or relocate. That indicates that Meruelo isn't deciding anything until after the auction happens and provides me with the tiniest bit of hope I have left lol.
Seravalli said that the Yotes haven't been paying for hotels on the road. And the hotels with league contracts demanded the nhl give certified checks up front so the Yotes wouldn't refuse to pay anymore. That was THIS season.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Seravalli said that the Yotes haven't been paying for hotels on the road. And the hotels with league contracts demanded the nhl give certified checks up front so the Yotes wouldn't refuse to pay anymore. That was THIS season.

No S**t? Wow! I hadn't heard that. Now I doubt his capabilities too lol.

Reactions: RemoAZ

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Holy shit. This guy is either in way over his head or he's a huge prick. I guess it could be both. The not paying bills thing is definitely an ongoing issue. I wouldn't want that kind of owner in my league either. How the hell have we not been able to attract one local owner or ownership group that can actually afford an NHL team that wants to buy this it in almost 3 decades?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Conduct unbecoming. They are simply done with AM. He never shaped up after the bubble nonsense. Guy had a rep for stiffing contractors coming in so the league can't plead ignorance.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Yeah, at this point, if the option is either an expansion team with Meruelo owning it or a SLC relocation team and expansion to Houston and Atlanta, I'll take the latter. I love hockey, but I don't love the NHL, and I f***ing HATE Alex Meruelo now, him and his twee little "lifestyle" spawn.

I'll be even more honest... at this point, I don't want the Coyotes to stay and build at Scottsdale/101. I want Meruelo gone. The idea of having to put up with this level of horseshit over the course of four more years while the players and org suffer just about makes me want to vomit.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023

According to Morgan, they did not have to move out of Glendale. All they had to do was commit to 12 years. In this sense, it is 100% on AM. He could've done 12 with Glendale and in 12-5 years begun construction on his new building/district. The Coyotes would've then seamlessly gone from an NHL arena to an NHL arena and Mullet would've never happened.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
First I hope AM has the funds and ability to make the new arena work, then I hope he’s a Gila monster that just won’t let go of his franchise…. with the legal means to do it.

No S**t? Wow! I hadn't heard that. Now I doubt his capabilities too lol.
What’s the news? I can’t read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad