Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Funny that he says what you're saying and that one of the slim options is moving the team "temporarily" until the arena is built. That this is even an option no matter how small with an NHL arena sitting empty is hilarious. Like everything they've done, they f***ed this up about as bad as it could be.

Moving the team temporarily while the arena is built is nothing more than Gambo running his mouth. That's not a possibility, nor has anyone involved even suggested that be attempted.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
They get to make that trade and then fast track a double expansion to major media markets in ATL and HOU and Phoenix won’t look like such a loss all the sudden. Easy peapeasy.
Yessir. You nailed it. I'm honestly shocked that Bettman is this shrewd, but at the same time impressed at how he's worked it out to happen this way.

Reactions: DustyDangler

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
While hearing the tea will be healthy for all of us, I'm going to be pissed for a while at Morgan for withholding this in favor of providing a paper covering and pro-Meruelo point of view this whole time. You sit on this shit like that, and you are no longer a journalist, you're a patsy.

You have to admit though journalists often have to walk that line so that they can keep their contacts.

Otherwise Craig's becomes no different than the other schmos who have shit on this franchise from day 1.

It sucks..... but it's the nature of the beast.

That said.... I was reading rt's post on the stuff Seravalli's saying today about the hotels etc..... At this point you HAVE to consider there's a massive infowar underway to make sure this gets done the way the league wants it.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It's annoying how all this stuff always come out at the end. Then Morgan goes into hiding yesterday and turns off comments on everything after the fact.

If you were in his position you might want to do the same thing. You've seen that for weeks he's been growing tired of dealing with all the drama.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Morgan also hinted in the podcast yesterday that he’s got some stuff he knows about that he’ll be able to discuss after all is said and done. We’re gonna see a lot of shit come out that’s gonna make all of us that trusted Meruelo look like f***ing fools.
Imagine the Chayka grin right now.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Their tone is meaningless. The fact that their reportage ended up being correct is what counts. Strang might be best pals with Meagan Chayka but she also apparently had the real goods about Meruelo. And Seravalli... goddammit... if it wasn't for that fat bastard, we'd have been utterly blindsided by this next week.

You know I think I have to admit I'm guilty of looking at what people other than Frank was saying and let it cloud my judgement a little. When he first was reporting on this, he clearly worded it like he was giving a logical opinion based on what he was hearing. Other people were jumping on it as absolute confirmed facts and that skewed my judgment on it.

My only criticism of Strang was she took a one sided approach to it all. Claimed she talked to at least 50 people but only selected the negative comments without clarifying that all of them were negative.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
In a roundabout way that could actually help Meruelo.

If his hot Latino blood gets the better of him, he could sue the league claiming they interfered with his ability to fix a problem they originally created.
I'd prefer the NHL does nothing at this point and this all dies down, until the auction is won, or lost. But, after the way the NHL did the COG, I'm hoping for the hot Latino blood, should the former not come to fruition.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Moving the team temporarily while the arena is built is nothing more than Gambo running his mouth. That's not a possibility, nor has anyone involved even suggested that be attempted.

Oh he's been playing the "I really don't want the Coyotes to leave" card on social media, yet for years he dumped on them at every turn after Shane Doan was gone..

He's a pure ratings whore.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
What if the Coyotes won the McDavid lottery, or just picked Marner instead of Strome? What if they won the Matthews lottery? What if they didn't win a bunch of games to end 2017 and put themselves in worse lottery position, end up with 7th, and trade it for Stepan? (could have had Makar, Heiskanen, Pettersson) What if they stayed last all year and won the Dahlin lottery? Hell, they could have won the Ovechkin, Crosby, and Kane lotteries too.

Maybe Glendale is packed with more star power. Maybe the Coyotes' profile is re-elevated and the support comes earlier for an East Valley arena, and they play in Glendale until TED (or SED) is built.

But the Coyotes haven't drafted very well over their history for the most part regardless, it's sad. I still think what if anything of those things happened.

Last edited:

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'd prefer the NHL does nothing at this point and this all dies down, until the auction is won, or lost. But, after the way the NHL did the COG, I'm hoping for the hot Latino blood, should the former not come to fruition.

I can buy the theory that this obviously was the contingency plan the league had been crafting and was all supposed to be kept quiet until the auction. But someone inside the league leaked it out and that's forcing everyone's hand.... especially Meruelo's.

Meruelo's cornered right now. Yeah Junior's social media escapades are NOT helping matters here but what are they supposed to do? They obiously has this rollout of renderings ready for some time but the state controlled that process. And the league might have been also advising him to keep quiet in general.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If the notion is the players are all upset playing at Mullett. You couldn't tell from this....

Johnston: Coyotes players faced with 'mental warfare,' uncertainty as potential relocation looms

The weight of that had already been crashing down on players over the past several months, according to former teammate Matt Dumba, who was traded from the Coyotes to the Tampa Bay Lightning on March 8.

“It’s definitely being felt,” Dumba told The Athletic. “It’s being felt every day you step into the Mullett (Arena). It’s not easy for those guys. I feel for them. The uncertainty of what’s going to happen ahead — I mean, it can just linger, you know? When stuff doesn’t go good, it’s a little more prevalent.

“It’s a bit of mental warfare for those guys.”

The Coyotes’ future still hasn’t been settled — players have been told they could remain at the 4,600-seat Mullett Arena in Tempe next season if the current talks about relocating to Utah break down, according to multiple sources close to the situation — and so it couldn’t have been easy for them to take the ice in Vancouver on Wednesday night with the topic now an open public conversation.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Utah ECHL team draws about 6,000 in a 10,000 seat rink

Ironically enough, the Maverik Center with 10,000 seats would be way better than the Delta Center with 11-12,000 seats. The Maverik Center is newer and has better ice and sightlines.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Interesting nugget. Smith is co-owner of the MLS Real Salt Lake team with David Blitzer. Who apart from being a Blackstone exec is also co-owner of the NBA 76ers and the NJ Devils in the NHL.

When John Chayka attempted his pre-playoff bubble skedaddle, it was to join up with the Blitzer Group in a cross-sport role for that organization. The fallout with the Coyotes and the NHL cost Chayka that job.

Reactions: DustyDangler

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
This.

Winning the land auction is relatively small potatoes compared to the $3 Billion figure now being kicked around as the development cost. There is no infrastructure whatsoever on the site, other than the nearby freeway. That’s a huge upfront cost with no offsetting revenue in the near term. Money is expensive right now. The cost of construction in Arizona is through the roof.

I’d like to see the team stay in town but getting this deal done and paid for in three years just seems highly unrealistic. The league may be willing to guarantee a future franchise and make Meruelo whole in exchange for solving a today problem.
One additional point…the land is still a good investment no matter what happens with the Coyotes. It a prime piece of real estate adjacent to a major, highly traveled freeway. There’s not a lot of locations like that available in metro Phoenix. Like they say, there’s no more land being made.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad