Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Jagged Ice

Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
If I’m Bettman, I want my cake and eat it too. Help AM win the land bid so the NHL gets a cut of all the money made from it and keep the Yotes there, accept 1B for a team, circle back with ATL and get a deal done. Nowhere does it say necessarily that the team Smith would be buying is the Yotes, it could be all carrot on a stick tactics.

There’s a lot of maneuvering going on right now because there’s potentially a lot more than 1B on the table here, if done right.
I'm hopeful for something like this but I can't see AM involved. I bet the city of Phoenix is going to pull the auction. Hopeful that Ishbia gets involved but my friends that know him from the Suns org are telling me he's just a wealthy shithead that makes dumb decisions. All you have to do is look at the Durant trade to see how stupid that was. I think they have to win a play-in tournament to even make the playoffs.

Reactions: Jakey53

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Ironically enough, the Maverik Center with 10,000 seats would be way better than the Delta Center with 11-12,000 seats. The Maverik Center is newer and has better ice and sightlines.
The Maverik Center is a terrific building. I was there for the Olympics. Well located near transportation and nice amenities for a smaller arena.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Feckless Puck

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
So far we know that the NHL has burned bridges with the Cities of Glendale and Phoenix, and also that they aren't wanted in Tempe. Waiting to see if ASU has reason to be pissed off too in the end. Expansion to AZ isn't happening any time soon.

The Scottsdale mayor doesn't like them either.

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Not surprising at all ..
Frank S has always jumped the gun been misinformed or missed vital information.. most other news outlets are citing him as the source

I guess we shall see , but what you just posted seems more like how i imagined

NHL posted that the players were told they may play another season in the mullet

Not sure how accurate this is
Chris Johnston has also been telling people to curb the jets because this is not a done thing.

After listening to Seravalli yesterday he was almost saying the same thing, but thinks next week there should be some sort of climax to it.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'm hopeful for something like this but I can't see AM involved. I bet the city of Phoenix is going to pull the auction. Hopeful that Ishbia gets involved but my friends that know him from the Suns org are telling me he's just a wealthy shithead that makes dumb decisions. All you have to do is look at the Durant trade to see how stupid that was. I think they have to win a play-in tournament to even make the playoffs.
The state controls the auction. Not Phoenix.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So far we know that the NHL has burned bridges with the Cities of Glendale and Phoenix, and also that they aren't wanted in Tempe. Waiting to see if ASU has reason to be pissed off too in the end. Expansion to AZ isn't happening any time soon.
Honestly, the larger markets really shouldn't need to fund sports teams facilities. I get places like OKC, Memphis, New Orleans in the NBA where there are other potentially more lucrative opportunities, which basically force those cities to pony up the money.

AZ is one of the larger markets, thus they really should not be in the business of handing out money to NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL teams to build stadiums/arenas.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Shane Doan did more than anyone else in the world to try and keep hockey in Arizona at times. Add to that, the Doans are the absolute epitome of class - and I admire them in all possible ways (even religiously, and I'm no longer anywhere close to religious).
Yes exactly this, especially the bolded part, that's how amazing Shane Doan and family are, that even someone like me has tremendous respect for their spirituality. Some of you may have noticed but I'm not exactly the biggest religion supporter, probably ruined my chances of getting on any favorite poster lists. haha

On a side note, this will make the Utah move that much harder, as if your basic run of the mill Christianity isn't f***ing dumb enough, we gotta go full magic underwear. :rolleyes:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
All F40 regulars are my favorite posters <3
I spoke to soon, I made it boys!!!
giphy.gif

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
What's the burnt bridge with Phoenix? I thought they still want the Coyotes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad