Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Apparently the coyotes posted that on their instagram story
I think they are going to keep up this expansion ruse as long as possible. They’re once again drastically underestimating how massively unpopular a plan is in a local valley market. First it was Tempe voters with their arena, now it’s betrayed, die-hard Yotes fans with their BS expansion plans. No one is buying the snake oil from these bums.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
What's the burnt bridge with Phoenix? I thought they still want the Coyotes.

Probably thought they already had them in some sense.

I think Phoenix has spent quite a bit of time, money, and resources on this project. I can't picture them being too pleased with the league right now for killing it.

finkelsteinberg

Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
I'm hopeful for something like this but I can't see AM involved. I bet the city of Phoenix is going to pull the auction. Hopeful that Ishbia gets involved but my friends that know him from the Suns org are telling me he's just a wealthy shithead that makes dumb decisions. All you have to do is look at the Durant trade to see how stupid that was. I think they have to win a play-in tournament to even make the playoffs.
You make the trade for Durant 10 times out of 10. Any time you have a chance to trade for one of the best scorers of all time you do it. It hasn't necessarily been great this season but most super teams don't do win it all their 1st year.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Seravalli claimed on Daily Face Off this morning that earlier this year, the Coyotes were guilty of noy paying their hotel bills, to the point where the hotels who rent to the league's teams were demanding certified checks before the team arrived, just to make sure they didn't go unpaid.

Reactions: TheLegend

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Reminds me when parents waaaay overcorrect because they don't think their kids like something.
Well I think this has a lot to do with players who already had their no trade lists submitted and Arizona wouldn’t be on them but they might want SLC on it.

IOW…. Players who didn’t mind the idea of coming here might not want SLC.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
And this isn’t affecting just the Coyotes….

View attachment 850275View attachment 850276

I don't understand the no-trade protection idea. I mean, I get it for Coyote players.....but players on other teams...I don't understand. Why don't they have a rule that says "If you have limited NTC in your contract, you have the right to update the teams listed (either red or black) on July 1. I mean, isn't that how it works?

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don't understand the no-trade protection idea. I mean, I get it for Coyote players.....but players on other teams...I don't understand. Why don't they have a rule that says "If you have limited NTC in your contract, you have the right to update the teams listed (either red or black) on July 1. I mean, isn't that how it works?

Not sure.

But there’s a definite concern here. Especially with the upcoming draft.

Coyotes will have zero unsigned defensemen. With Bill Armstrong sitting on a boat load of picks he might look to trade some of those picks to upgrade his defense at the draft.

If the team is in SLC by then it might be a problem for some players.

MayDayMayDay

F****** Pheasants!
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Jeez. If the NHL thought dealing with Mullett was a PR headache, wait till they get a load of this relocation.

Hearing this is infuriating because it just begs the question, why not just wait for the auction??

Relocation is a permanent fix to a temporary problem.

Reactions: Prarievarg

JasonDemersWasOkay

Awaiting the return of my beloved team
Nov 14, 2018
I wish the nhl could just wrest control of the team from Meruelo, and sell to a local buyer (ishbia/SRP) and keep them at Mullett while either footprint is renovated to accommodate hockey or SRP throws up an arena…

Reactions: AZviaNJ

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Jeez. If the NHL thought dealing with Mullett was a PR headache, wait till they get a load of this relocation.

Hearing this is infuriating because it just begs the question, why not just wait for the auction??

I agree actually.

It's not like the Coyotes are moving to a brand new, amazing facility. They're going from one shitty hockey rink to another. Utah's brand new, amazing facility wouldn't be finished before Desert Ridge, even if it gets delayed by a year or two.

I honestly think, they just want to be rid of Meruelo. Can't say I blame them.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
nobody has utah on their no trade list currently and there is 11? weeks & the draft before they can update list.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
And this isn’t affecting just the Coyotes….

View attachment 850275View attachment 850276
Point of order on NTC and NMC. While according to the CBA players need to give an updated NTC or NMC to their team by June 30th the key word is BY. Players are allowed to update their lists right after the trade deadline pasts if they like. Players are allowed to change and update their NTC and NMC during the season.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
It could also be families living in non traditional hockey markets worried about reports of how abrupt this could happen and worry it could happen to them?

It may put Walsh between a rock and a hard place , as now he has to deal with people from both sides

che

Jan 6, 2018
Gothenburg
I feel terrible for all the local fans and hockey in the desert.

I've been following sports in Europe since I was a wee boy, this just doesn't happen. Sure owners can suck and your team can get relegated to a lower division, but teams relocating to different cities? It's just not on the cards.

I have two teams which I follow in sports, the Arizona Coyotes and Fiorentina (Italian Serie A, football). I am proud of being a coyote fan and here in Sweden, obviously most people still cheer for the bostons or the rangers of the world. But not for me, I love the underdog, the desert dogs.

I want to see what becomes of all the prospects, and I really do hope that GMBA gets to keep his job and see this through. I'll be along for the ride.

And a big thanks to all the fantastic posters on this board, without yall I wouldn't be able to follow along as much.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
It could also be families living in non traditional hockey markets worried about reports of how abrupt this could happen and worry it could happen to them?

It may put Walsh between a rock and a hard place , as now he has to deal with people from both sides

The biggest misconception about hockey families is that the players with families have their families in their home cities. Unless they have that NMC players are timid to bring their families with them and there is a reason why so many players love playing in Nashville and Columbus--non traditional markets

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023

Agreed save for it being a permanent fix. They still wont have a NHL arena in the new location.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad