Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Snarky Coyote

May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I can't blame Salt Lake City for trying to acquire a team. It's a great place to live and I often visit for work. It has a lot of corporate money and a political system that takes care of its own. This has always been a concern in Arizona, whether it's positive or negative. While I can be mad at our politicians here, I cannot express my true feelings about what I hope happens to Jerry Wiers and Jerry Moyes. Moyes was reported to be the worst Coyotes owner ever, enriching himself with team assets and the charter plane contract. We've had several "owners" since then, including Ellman, Gretsky, Barroway and Ice Edge, but something always seems off with the current ownership. I suspect we'll find out in a few weeks, but knowing the Coyotes, it will be something unexpected. I don't know if I'll follow the new team, root for the Jets to come back to Phoenix (which seems likely if attendance keeps dropping), adopt a new team, or just fade away. We'll know everything in two weeks, or maybe it will take longer. Regardless of what happens, it's been a pleasure. Also, I want to nominate RT as a leader in exile if such a position becomes necessary.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Imma go ahead and skip the line and start hating that smug Mormon billionaire-bro douchebag right f***ing now.
Quick question, are most mormons fine with people who are not religious or have a different religion?
Or would there be a problem if they get players who are not christian?

Reactions: Summer Rose

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Ryan Smith liked this post on Twitter

I'm sure the first year in Utah they'll win the lottery.

Quick question, are most mormons fine with people who are not religious or have a different religion?

Mormons like to recruit, but so do some Christians. Other than that, they pretty much leave you alone.

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I wish the nhl could just wrest control of the team from Meruelo, and sell to a local buyer (ishbia/SRP) and keep them at Mullett while either footprint is renovated to accommodate hockey or SRP throws up an arena…
It’s really more about playing at mullet for that long.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

They're fine with people who leave them alone or treat them normally. They are, however, pressured to try and make friends with people and convert them. Some members take that way more seriously than others.

As for famous people and sports figures, if they say complimentary things about the Church, Mormons will love them. Even better if one or more of them converts. But Mormons will not be understanding of "shenanigans," not at all. The players will have to be on their very best behavior or there will be pressure to run them out of town.

That's my opinion based on my life experience and living with Utah Mormons. YMMV.

Reactions: Edenjung

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
nobody has utah on their no trade list currently and there is 11? weeks & the draft before they can update list.
I get that. The league and players should make an agreement that after the move is official, all NTC lists can be updated.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
@TheLegend You really need to take a few steps back and allow people to have their emotions.. you've been doing similar on the PHNX discord.. my 2 cents.

Excuse me?

What the hell do you think I’m doing?

I get the rage….. I understand. I’m pissed off myself right now. Because of what this is doing to you and everyone else right now.

The difference is I dumped the fanboy hat way back in 2010. Took on the abuse from fans from other fanbases that you couldn’t even begin to handle.

I’m getting it right now over in BoH. And I could give a frick.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
As for famous people and sports figures, if they say complimentary things about the Church, Mormons will love them. Even better if one or more of them converts. But Mormons will not be understanding of "shenanigans," not at all. The players will have to be on their very best behavior or there will be pressure to run them out of town.
I'm also curious. What could be shenanigans in this context?

AZDesertKnight

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Excuse me?

What the hell do you think I’m doing?

I get the rage….. I understand. I’m pissed off myself right now. Because of what this is doing to you and everyone else right now.

The difference is I dumped the fanboy hat way back in 2010. Took on the abuse from fans from other fanbases that you couldn’t even begin to handle.

I’m getting it right now over in BoH. And I could give a frick.
Listen, I've been involved in saving this team in more ways than I publicly let on here. Feel free to send a PM. I have a looooong history.

You're quite frankly nothing in comparison and I'd be happy to discuss. Glad you've been a mod on HF but I've been on the Ground.

Just stop, and take a step back.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Don't Mormons consider themselves Christian? Just another denomination?
This is a difficult question to answer. I would say no.

It’s more like Judaism —> Christianity —> Mormonism

So like OT then NT then Book of Mormon. A bit like Islam in that way. There were some fundamental changes/modifications/additions made that I think change things not denominationally but categorically.

It’s an Abrahamic religion like Judaism and Christianity and Islam are. But I don’t think it’s necessarily Christianity. Muslims have a tremendous reverence for their version of Jesus, also.

But this is a conversation that dozens of the brightest minds on the subject could argue all day every day for the next fifty years and not move an inch in any direction.

I’m pretty dumb. This is a hockey chat board. Nobody will get a better understanding or reach any agreement on this here.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
They're fine with people who leave them alone or treat them normally. They are, however, pressured to try and make friends with people and convert them. Some members take that way more seriously than others.

That's my opinion based on my life experience and living with Utah Mormons. YMMV.
I don't know about the best behavior thing. Karl Malone was the lowest of low life's and his behavior received a collective meh.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Probably things like fornication, intoxication and profanity. I don’t think they expect unbelievers to become believers just to please the culture. That’s not a worldview taught be the church, so far as I know. But they’re probably more likely to demand that folks are a bit less public about all of that. Which isn’t an issue with most NHL players anyway. Short of Spittin’ Chiclets type lifestyle flaunting, I’m sure it won’t be an issue. Having a live-in girlfriend and some beers at the golf course and the occasional casual swearing isn’t likely to get the torches lit and the pitchforks sharpened I don’t think. SLC is a pretty big city. And there’s lots of city folks there. It’s not children of the corn. Lol.

I don't know about the best behavior thing. Karl Malone was the lowest of low life's and his behavior received a collective meh.
I suspect this issue would be open flaunting. Not private stuff. Again, not really an issue. Maybe and I mean MAYBE guys like Evander Kane or Sean Avery would’ve been an issue. That’s like two dudes over the last 20 years.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Getting too drunk. Pulling an Auston Matthews and flashing someone after a bender. A messy extramarital liaison. Etc.

When I was living in Utah during the Malone - Stockton years, they expected the athletes to behave like Mormons even if they refused to get baptized as one. The populace in general in Utah is deeply socially conservative, even if they claim to be politically moderate. The outlier is Provo, because there are so many young Mormons there who haven't yet learned the price of unorthodoxy and still believe that people should live and let live. But get outside of the campus boundaries and it's strikingly different.

They're extremely pleasant people on the surface. Stepford-level.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad