Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I feel terrible for all the local fans and hockey in the desert.

I've been following sports in Europe since I was a wee boy, this just doesn't happen. Sure owners can suck and your team can get relegated to a lower division, but teams relocating to different cities? It's just not on the cards.

I have two teams which I follow in sports, the Arizona Coyotes and Fiorentina (Italian Serie A, football). I am proud of being a coyote fan and here in Sweden, obviously most people still cheer for the bostons or the rangers of the world. But not for me, I love the underdog, the desert dogs.

I want to see what becomes of all the prospects, and I really do hope that GMBA gets to keep his job and see this through. I'll be along for the ride.

And a big thanks to all the fantastic posters on this board, without yall I wouldn't be able to follow along as much.
Wimbledon moved. Otherwise clubs dissolve or merge. From a league standpoint moving is healthier when needed.

Reactions: che

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I wish the nhl could just wrest control of the team from Meruelo, and sell to a local buyer (ishbia/SRP) and keep them at Mullett while either footprint is renovated to accommodate hockey or SRP throws up an arena…

I wish a local owner would take over the team, go make peace with Glendale, and then work with Ishbia to do a long-term downtown Suns/NHL combo with a new arena.

But, to quote @rt, there's zero chance of that happening. Zero. 100% impossible. :D

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I haven't listened yet but the description says "Jeff and Elliotte banter about how they expect the Utah franchise to be aggressive in adding players".

That's pretty definitive as far as a move.

As for the actual statement itself, it will be interesting to see BA given a full budget, presumably. You can still continue the rebuild. It just makes it a lot easier to go spend a ton of money on fixing the D this summer. BA Unchained.

Edit: The podcast description also says the league felt "snookered" by Yotes ownership. So maybe the decision by the league is, "No, you're moving now, you're not even getting a chance to go to your auction."

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
What Alex should do is win the auction ..

Purchase Gila River arena, fix the ice machines

Play out the ASU lease , finish in Glendale until the arena is built .. that should satisfy everyone

The sell Glendale or lease out to an arena manager
If he purchases GR, then he should move the Roadrunners up from Tucson.
IMO, that's where the screw up started. The lease agreement should have had an out that included moving the Roadrunners up after the Coyotes had built a new arena, a either team 15 year lease agreement.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Edit: The podcast description also says the league felt "snookered" by Yotes ownership. So maybe the decision by the league is, "No, you're moving now, you're not even getting a chance to go to your auction."
I'm curious where things went wrong. It seems like AM /XG have been transparent with the league. Seems like they've worked honestly towards building a stable future. There must be stuff behind the scenes.

After seeing a few things this morning.

We need to get away from Alex Meruelo as far as we can.
Please elaborate.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
The ugly reality……

Wierd that he came out with these comments if the room was closed to media.

Listening to the podcast, he said the players are saying they are betrayed by the owners for selling the team. Then in his next breath says that the NHL is making AM sell?

The problem is people are coming to conclusions including the players from media “leaks” that haven been addressed by the owners

We don’t know
1) is it AM that is trying to sell the team
2) if he is is it just in case he loses the auction
3) is it the NHL trying to force the sale of the team

If it is option 1 then yes AM betrayed everyone

If it is options 2 or 3 then he didn’t

But one thing is for damn sure.. they need to get some form of communication in place now..

How can they listen to all of this and not step in and say something?
Unless they are all on vacation in Mexico waiting for June 27?

I am one of the minorities and actually liked these owners compared to the past ones because they are doing everything to keep the team here
They are letting the team go through the rebuild process..
They let BA hire the best people for the front office
I have been defending these guys

But man how can you not address this? I worked in a company that decided to layoff 6000 employees. And hearing rumours like this you can’t even function..

They need to fly to Edmonton now and address the team now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
A franchise is only as good as it's weakest link. The Coyotes were getting embarrassing for the NHL. The way we tanked, appeared to be evicted from Glendale, how we handled the Chyc trade, then moved into Mullet. Lost the public vote and then to have the play in Mullet 5 to 6 years would be very destructive to the NHL brand.

I hate having to relocate again but it may be the best thing for our beloved team. This draft year might be exceptional. Look for some incredible trades. It's hurts but we are invested and loyal. Sucks but we are lol or we would of stopped being fans years ago.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
After seeing a few things this morning.

We need to get away from Alex Meruelo as far as we can.
Honestly I am starting to agree.. however I am still on the side of let’s hear it from the horses mouth..

We all know the experiment of whispering to one person and by the time it gets to the last person it is blown out of proportion.

The owner or CEO needs to address this now .. no excuses.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
A franchise is only as good as it's weakest link. The Coyotes were getting embarrassing for the NHL. The way we tanked, appeared to be evicted from Glendale, how we handled the Chyc trade, then moved into Mullet. Lost the public vote and then to have the play in Mullet 5 to 6 years would be very destructive to the NHL brand.

I hate having to relocate again but it may be the best thing for our beloved team. This draft year might be exceptional. Look for some incredible trades. It's hurts but we are invested and loyal. Sucks but we are lol or we would have stopped being fans years ago.
I don’t live in AZ and really aren’t going through this like you guys are but I know the players love it there.

We are going to be an embarrassment in SLC.. all we will hear is how bad the arena is and nobody wants to play there.. ( ask the Utah jazz )

And in a few years how bad the attendance is

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Honestly I am starting to agree.. however I am still on the side of let’s hear it from the horses mouth..

We all know the experiment of whispering to one person and by the time it gets to the last person it is blown out of proportion.

The owner or CEO needs to address this now .. no excuses.

I don’t think they will.

I’m going to be interested in what goes down next Wednesday at the last home game.

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
I guess I’m out of the loop and don’t feel like reading dozens of pages to catch up. Is AM trying to sell the team? What’s going on with the auction date?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Yeah I wonder if they are going to blow everything out like the Newfoundland growlers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wish a local owner would take over the team, go make peace with Glendale, and then work with Ishbia to do a long-term downtown Suns/NHL combo with a new arena.

But, to quote @rt, there's zero chance of that happening. Zero. 100% impossible. :D
Everything with the coyotes timing wise has been off. Sarver getting the boot only after the footprint Reno’s are done joins that list. City offered to tear it down and build brand new if both clubs would be in on it. I get it from a business pov for the suns as they had control over footprint revenues so didn’t want to share it. Only would work if both clubs had the same owner.

Now, it would still cost another quarter billion or whatever to do a remodel structurally to accommodate hockey.

Going into cities with nba teams means those clubs likely operate the arena and get most Of the revenues. So they won’t drop their percentage down to 50/50 with the nhl team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad