Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

JasonDemersWasOkay

Awaiting the return of my beloved team
Nov 14, 2018
More fans were always needed but how are fans added? Not through 2 and half decades of near constant incompetence both on and off the ice with constant relocation threats, bad arena deals, and being the biggest paper bag fan base in sports. What casual fan is willingly joining that? Add in that every other major valley team had championship shots or at least playoff runs through the mid-late 2010’s and you create a market that is completely apathetic to what rightfully was the red-headed step child of the state.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
More fans were always needed but how are fans added? Not through 2 and half decades of near constant incompetence both on and off the ice with constant relocation threats, bad arena deals, and being the biggest paper bag fan base in sports. What casual fan is willingly joining that? Add in that every other major valley team had championship shots or at least playoff runs through the mid-late 2010’s and you create a market that is completely apathetic to what rightfully was the red-headed step child of the state.

'nuff said.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
You do love your excuses, I'll give you that!

If I plant a seed and I fail to give it sunlight and water and it doesn't grow or even worse, dies, I don't think my failure to provide everything it needs to survive and thrive would be considered an excuse. It would be considered neglect.

Why should growing the sport of hockey in Arizona be seen any differently?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
If I plant a seed and I fail to give it sunlight and water, and it dies, I don't think my failure to provide everything it needs to grow and be healthy would be considered an excuse. It would be considered neglect.

Why should growing the sport of hockey in Arizona be seen any differently?
I don't know, you're the one who touted the attendance at America West in the early years as being adequate..... and then the excuses started flowing.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Phoenix - Historical Population Data
YearPopulationGrowth Rate
19962,530,0003.82%

Note the population has nearly doubled since 1996

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Whatever dude. Things usually happen for a reason as the old saying goes, not because of excuses.
Of course they do and it's the reasons that make it hard. Those that can't handle the reasons are not only poor "fans", they will miss out on the sweetest part of any potential success because they weren't there for the hard parts.... AND they're puking wimps, dude.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Of course they do and it's the reasons that make it hard. Those that can't handle the reasons are not only poor "fans", they will miss out on the sweetest part of any potential success because they weren't there for the hard parts.... AND they're puking wimps, dude.

I'm tired of responding to your nonsense. I tried (and failed) at not letting you suck me in for round 2.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
There were multiple failure points in the failed NHL presence in Arizona. It is unfortunate that some see only lack of community support as the root cause of the loss of the franchise.

This is a non inclusive list of failure points. Please feel free to add on.

1. Location, location, location
2. NHL malpractice in choosing/ approving ownership
3. Lack of ownership expertise/ concern in building community/ government/ industry relationships.
4. Woefully inadequate funding/ building the on ice product.
5. Weak support from transplant hockey fans who would only go to games against their hometown teams.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I'm tired of responding to your nonsense. I tried (and failed) at not letting you suck me in for round 2.
It is easy to become overwhelmed, particularly when contending with perceptions that seem to anticipate failure. While this may not be the reality, it is evident that some individuals will overlook positive aspects and are quick to highlight every negative detail.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
There were multiple failure points in the failed NHL presence in Arizona. It is unfortunate that some see only lack of community support as the root cause of the loss of the franchise.

3. Lack of ownership expertise/ concern in building community/ government/ industry relationships.
5. Weak support from transplant hockey fans who would only go to games against their hometown teams.
I'll add a #6, which i think is the biggest factor: this just isn't a great sports town. I've been here for 30 years and I think the best way to describe it is "positive indifference." Most people don't have anything against the sports/teams here, and they may even enjoy going to games time to time, but they just aren't big sports fans.

Spring Training does well here because it's a tourist attraction. The Suns usually draw because they were Phoenix's first team, so there's a sense of fan ownership from the natives. The Cardinals have a small pocket of rabid fans, but even a lot of them sell their tickets to visiting fans that escape colder climates. The D-backs play in a soulless airplane hangar, just made the World Series, and they still can't sell tickets. The Coyotes moved to the East Valley where supposedly all their "real" fans are, and couldn't sell 4600 tickets. If you dropped capacity to 4600 in any other NHL city, you'd have people fighting over them. Even Columbus.

Even golf--a huge part of the Valley's economy--only draws fans at the PGA tournament here for the party. 95% of the attendees are only vaguely aware there's golf being played.

I don't know how I'd describe what Phoenix is, but "sports town" ain't it.

Reactions: Headshot77

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It is easy to become overwhelmed, particularly when contending with perceptions that seem to anticipate failure. While this may not be the reality, it is evident that some individuals will overlook positive aspects and are quick to highlight every negative detail.
Isn't that the truth, all the negativity about the drive, cost of tickets, lack of stability etc., etc., etc. Fortunately, there were still fans willing to attend games and remain as positive as possible, despite it all, unfortunately, there just weren't enough of them. It's a damn shame, because the asshats actually had things moving in the right direction on the ice, but now those same loyal fans will watch another city enjoy the fruits of a higher anticipated level of success.

I'll add a #6, which i think is the biggest factor: this just isn't a great sports town. I've been here for 30 years and I think the best way to describe it is "positive indifference." Most people don't have anything against the sports/teams here, and they may even enjoy going to games time to time, but they just aren't big sports fans.

Spring Training does well here because it's a tourist attraction. The Suns usually draw because they were Phoenix's first team, so there's a sense of fan ownership from the natives. The Cardinals have a small pocket of rabid fans, but even a lot of them sell their tickets to visiting fans that escape colder climates. The D-backs play in a soulless airplane hangar, just made the World Series, and they still can't sell tickets. The Coyotes moved to the East Valley where supposedly all their "real" fans are, and couldn't sell 4600 tickets. If you dropped capacity to 4600 in any other NHL city, you'd have people fighting over them. Even Columbus.

Even golf--a huge part of the Valley's economy--only draws fans at the PGA tournament here for the party. 95% of the attendees are only vaguely aware there's golf being played.

I don't know how I'd describe what Phoenix is, but "sports town" ain't it.
The Suns had all those same problems for decades.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, considering this is the official release, maybe take off your tinfoil hat for a minute.

How about the NHL screwing everyone in AZ by not monetarily supporting the team under their ownership. Did we even have a scouting dept. under the NHL ownership?

• Haha
Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
How about the NHL screwing everyone in AZ by not monetarily supporting the team under their ownership. Did we even have a scouting dept. under the NHL ownership?
Do you even think about what you post or do you just vomit up every half-baked thought you have? Google takes a microsecond to tell you information.

Yeah, rough four seasons. Highest four winning percentages in the history of the Coyotes. Made the playoffs 3 of those 4. Missed the playoffs in the lockout-shortened season by 5 points. Real shitty operation by the NHL.

Coincidentally, three of those were the 3 lowest-attended seasons other than the two in Mullett. So maybe winning doesn't solve the problem, eh?

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Do you even think about what you post or do you just vomit up every half-baked thought you have? Google takes a microsecond to tell you information.

Yeah, rough four seasons. Highest four winning percentages in the history of the Coyotes. Made the playoffs 3 of those 4. Missed the playoffs in the lockout-shortened season by 5 points. Real shitty operation by the NHL.

Coincidentally, three of those were the 3 lowest-attended seasons other than the two in Mullett. So maybe winning doesn't solve the problem, eh?
The poor attendance was due to the lack of stability! :sarcasm: Don't you read the excuses?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad