Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's the major milestone he has to meet, but I don't know if it was clear whether he could hit 50% done 1 day prior to the 5 year mark and have made the notice in the 5 year window, in which case he might have 6.5 years in total.

We don't know the whole set of milestones he has to meet though. If he doesn't win the auction, you have to think he's either already out or has to, very quickly, find a new location and secure it with all the approvals for building.

I'm curious if his 5 year window just goes away as soon as he misses something or if he gets to retain the intellectual property rights to the team for the remainder of the 5 years and then it reverts back to the NHL. Importantly, it could mean he's out and loses it, so another group could step in sooner.
AM opened his mouth and said he will win the auction. We shall see. That is the first step.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Do you know if the bidders have to submit a "plan" for the area? I know whoever wins has to develop the area, but develop it how?
I remember that being one of the bid requirements, there is a link for all that stuff somewhere in this thread.

1. Knew it.
2. Meruelo's not going to win.
3. We'll hear how he "has an alternate site to pivot to" and "he wants to bring the NHL back to the Valley."
4. That never happens.
5. The NHL never returns.
Nothing has even taken place yet, its okay chicken little the sky hasn't fallen. Maybe in 2 weeks it will but all is good at the moment.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I remember that being one of the bid requirements, there is a link for all that stuff somewhere in this thread.

Nothing has even taken place yet, its okay chicken little the sky hasn't fallen. Maybe in 2 weeks it will but all is good at the moment.
The sky has already fallen my friend, asshat's trying to find some tent poles to prop it back up.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Utah’s purchase of the franchise officially closed today.

Coyotes FO personnel are meeting with HR this afternoon.

(here cometh the layoffs)

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Utah’s purchase of the franchise officially closed today.

Coyotes FO personnel are meeting with HR this afternoon.

(here cometh the layoffs)
This is the part where they abscond and leave me with no one to take up my RR ticket $'s with, when that situation runs south. :laugh:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Would you?

Nope. Bettman gave it a bigger chance to work than likely anyone else on the planet would have, and it didn't. He can say all he wants that they want to be in this market, but no one in their right mind would try to put a team here again.
I would but only if the franchise is distressed, has no arena, and a poor owner who plans to flip the franchise as soon as possible. Not that it would matter of course because clearly all situations are created equal, anything else is just an excuse. :laugh:

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
An amount equal to one additional paycheck?

You gotta be shitting me. Meruelo walks away with a billion and he gives them one extra f---ing check? What a piece of shit that guy is.
That's typical for most places of employment...Its probably more than what Northrup Gruman employees are getting.

The sky has already fallen my friend, asshat's trying to find some tent poles to prop it back up.
If that is how you feel, that sucks to be you.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
That's typical for most places of employment...Its probably more than what Northrup Gruman employees are getting.
Nope. They got 4 weeks of pay per year of service and two months of healthcare. In some cases, folks were offered short-term(4-6 months) contract deals after termination with a month of severance after expiration and a month of healthcare.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
An amount equal to one additional paycheck?

You gotta be shitting me. Meruelo walks away with a billion and he gives them one extra f---ing check? What a piece of shit that guy is.

I'm sorry, not to be a debbie downer, but if I was a Coyotes employee and not looking for another job after hearing about the sale, well......

AZDesertKnight

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
What I wrote describes reality (for this situation), feelings have nothing to do with it.
You're so deep in your feelings as it persists to having a local NHL team in your life. I mean no offense by saying that, the Coyotes are a huge reason I moved to Phoenix in the first place 15+ years ago..

I'm with you, I've actually considered jobs in Vegas to have one again. lol But lets not be in denial here.

Jagged Ice

Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Not a lot of confidence they are going to win this auction..
Neither was the NHL obviously. They relocate a franchise after 27 years within two months of the auction? Yeah, not happening.

He needs that money to be able to win the auction and build an arena and then hire them all back in 5 years. :sarcasm:
He's too scared of the media to say that though.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Awaiting the return of my beloved team
Nov 14, 2018
The honest best thing would be to remove the Meruelos from the equation entirely. NHL hockey wouldn’t return to Arizona for at least 10 more years, but it would maybe allow some of the earth to become unsalted during that time. I have no faith in them to win the auction, build the arena or run a team properly and ethically

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad