Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
My takeaway from the press conference with AM and Bettman, AM didn't want to announce/disclose the money he was losing. Yes, he was losing money, but he didn't want to put it out there. It's like he didn't care he was losing money, he had a bigger goal in mind. He didn't want sympathy, or trying to use that as leverage to get tax breaks or help from the public.

Or maybe he didn't want to be embarrassed by the fact that he was hemorrhaging cash. Businessmen with egos don't often enjoy looking like they don't know what they're doing.

I still believe he wants to be an NHL owner. That is elite company, to own a professional sports franchise, regardless of the league. He has certain things he needs to work on and fix as a franchise owner, but I don't think he's the villian that a lot of Phoenix fans are saying he is.

His son's the bigger villain, if it comes down to semantics. Alex Sr. is more like a deadbeat dad.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm looking over the Coyotes attendance records. The biggest drop in attendance happened right after Moyes put the team into bankruptcy. A 2,886 drop in average attendance compared to the year before (14,875 to 11,989 in one season.) After the BK the attendance never rebounded back to where it was prior:

Average attendance pre-bankruptcy = 14,823
Average attendance post-bankruptcy* = 13,110

*Does not include Mullet Arena due to limited seating capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias Maccete

Dirty Old Man

Yotah Hockey Club
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
That's a lot of obstructed seats. Was it that bad at whatever Suns arena was called back in the day?
I had seats in the non-obstructed end's upper corner, and I barely knew that obstructed view existed. Although, I did go down there once just for grins and thought "Wow, this is bad".

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Man if those are just normal pricing we should have had, I'd be priced out. I think I paid like $7500 for my last pair of season tickets in 109 row C. Granted that was about 14 year ago but damn!
What was your labor rate 14 years ago compared to now?

My takeaway from the press conference with AM and Bettman, AM didn't want to announce/disclose the money he was losing. Yes, he was losing money, but he didn't want to put it out there. It's like he didn't care he was losing money, he had a bigger goal in mind. He didn't want sympathy, or trying to use that as leverage to get tax breaks or help from the public.

I still believe he wants to be an NHL owner. That is elite company, to own a professional sports franchise, regardless of the league. He has certain things he needs to work on and fix as a franchise owner, but I don't think he's the villian that a lot of Phoenix fans are saying he is.
Bettman stated that AM was losing north of 60mil. a year and has kept everything current.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Want to see something hilarious? I hear Utonians are already shocked at the prices and some are trying to get their deposit back.
My understanding with the deposits is it was only $100, it does not commit you to a full season and they likely won't even sell full-season tickets due to trying to get everyone to at least 1 game thus packages, and it isn't refundable, but can go towards tickets.

So 34,000 season ticket deposits is $3,400,000. If memory serves right, you can assume about a $1M on average for a sellout for an NHL team per game in tickets revenue. That's 3-4 games.

They start selling tickets later this week, so you'll see how many commit to full-season tickets soon and how many of those are just some game packs or single games.

My guess is anyone shocked by the price is basically just locked into a single game.

I don't really doubt they'll do well on sales since it's a new market, but you can't totally take away anything meaningful from the data that's out so far, though they've certainly trumpeted it out the media.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Or maybe he didn't want to be embarrassed by the fact that he was hemorrhaging cash. Businessmen with egos don't often enjoy looking like they don't know what they're doing.

I think he expected to lose money coming in. He's had a knack for turning around hurting businesses and making them profitable. Yes, I know, hockey is a different category, and you can't treat it like your other businesses. But I have to imagine he came in, knowing the finances of the team before buying them, and expecting to take losses.

There is a reason why any attempt to build an arena has an attached residential/commercial component, to help subsidize the cost of the hockey team. If he felt like he would be able to make a profit with just the hockey team, he would just build an arena only.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Exactly. And this is a market like @Coyotedroppings has been saying that is already fickle with its sports teams. Start the clown show up again, and they'll stay away in droves.
Fans don't give a shit about who owns the franchise, or how they run the franchise, as long as the team WINS. All you have to do is look at the Suns and the Cardinals. Fans will show up if the team wins, or at least is competitive.

AZDesertKnight

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ

His son's the bigger villain, if it comes down to semantics. Alex Sr. is more like a deadbeat dad.
He's far from a deadbeat dad, he's actually an incredible father from all accounts - to a fault perhaps..

Reactions: Jakey53

JasonDemersWasOkay

Awaiting the return of my beloved team
Nov 14, 2018
Lol PHNX hockey having another Utah podcast. Why in the f*** would anyone in Az want to tune into that. The cuck podcast. The come and hang out with your wife’s new boyfriend podcast. Lost a diehard, and I feel bad for Leah that her job is having to cater to these f***ers. Let them start their own podcast if they actually care enough.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Lol PHNX hockey having another Utah podcast. Why in the f*** would anyone in Az want to tune into that. The cuck podcast. The come and hang out with your wife’s new boyfriend podcast. Lost a diehard, and I feel bad for Leah that her job is having to cater to these f***ers. Let them start their own podcast if they actually care enough.
It must be coincidence, but in this corner of the internet it feels intentional that they pivot to cover Utah as soon as rt and Grimes launch their endeavour. Like they're staking their claim.

Reactions: AZDesertKnight

JasonDemersWasOkay

Awaiting the return of my beloved team
Nov 14, 2018
It must be coincidence, but in this corner of the internet it feels intentional that they pivot to cover Utah as soon as rt and Grimes launch their endeavour. Like they're staking their claim.
Good for them. I have no intention of following the team in Utah in any positive capacity but still, good for them for starting that.

Reactions: Sm00chy and lanky

AZDesertKnight

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
If their show is regular updates on Utah, I'm pulling my PHNX sub. Couldn't care less about any of the former players.. obviously.

Hopefully Josh Doan makes his way back to NHL AZ 2.0 at some point though

Reactions: Baby Doaner

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Then...... don't...... watch.....

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If their show is regular updates on Utah, I'm pulling my PHNX sub. Couldn't care less about any of the former players.. obviously.

They had a pre-recorded segment with BA today.

They "plan" to talk about hockey in general..... including ASU and other programs around the state.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Doan Jr may need to play until 39 like his dad if he wants to be part of AZ2.0

Craig said in Discord he heard from XG on Monday that he will be there with the Meruelos.

My guess is to kneecap the opposition bidders but that’s only a theory.
XG attendance will be like pouring fuel on a fire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad