Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yep, if we ever do get a team back, folks best show up, or we'll be right back here! :D
Except for four or five NHL teams no NHL team would have survived what we went thru. Even your beloved Blackhawks had attendance problems when their team was losing, and I don't think any NHL team AND fans have been thru what the Coyotes went thru. Most fans don't tolerate losing for more than a few years before they spend their hard earned money elsewhere, which is their right. Blaming the fans what has transpired over the years is just plain down right ludicrous. While the NHL kept the team here for probably longer than they should have, they could have saved this franchise IF they allowed management to run the team like a regular NHL team when they were the owners. Bettman and the NHL put the noose around the Coyotes neck and started tightening it year after year. There is lot of blame to go around on why we don't have a team, but fans are not one of them. Winning is all that matters. Winning solves everything.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Except for four or five NHL teams no NHL team would have survived what we went thru. Even your beloved Blackhawks had attendance problems when their team was losing, and I don't think any NHL team AND fans have been thru what the Coyotes went thru. Most fans don't tolerate losing for more than a few years before they spend their hard earned money elsewhere, which is their right. Blaming the fans what has transpired over the years is just plain down right ludicrous. While the NHL kept the team here for probably longer than they should have, they could have saved this franchise IF they allowed management to run the team like a regular NHL team when they were the owners. Bettman and the NHL put the noose around the Coyotes neck and started tightening it year after year. There is lot of blame to go around on why we don't have a team, but fans are not one of them. Winning is all that matters. Winning solves everything.

Exactly! This isn't Toronto, it's a non-traditional market and the fanbase has to be groomed here because it doesn't exist yet in large enough numbers to support a team. The team is going to have to give people a reason to become fans and also find a way to lure fans from their old teams. Otherwise nothing will change.

If the last 20 years had gone differently the fanbase could have continued to grow, instead it shrunk.

Last edited:

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Forgive me, but you'll need to show me where I said they were entitled. I've merely cut this down to the bare bolts, removing all excuses. Had the fans shown up, the team would still be here, despite it all.

You say they need to earn our dollars, that's fine, but where did it get us?

Were the two 28 year sth's that dropped the puck for the final game stupid? Being duped by the team? Or, did they just love hockey? We needed more of them and less fair weather, bandwagon jumping, root for the teams from the cities they used to live in, nutlless puking excuses for hockey fans.
I moved here a year before the Coyotes did and never gave up my Red Wings loyalty. When Detroit was still in the West, I went to non-Detroit games and rooted for the Coyotes to beat everyone else. (I never called them my 2nd-favorite team because I hate that term.) When Detroit (rightfully, finally) moved to the East, I dreamt of a Coyotes-Wings finals matchup and went to 25+ games every year to watch the stars on visiting teams, but mainly to try and help keep the team here.

There aren't enough hockey fans in the Valley. Most people I know who pull for Original 6, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, L.A. never bothered to attend any other games

So in a way I fall under your "root for the teams from cities they used to live in" but I feel like I did my part. (Cancer only took my left nut, so I'm not completely nutless, though.:laugh:) Not enough people would drive an hour to Glendale and the end result is now they have to drive 5 hours to Anaheim to see NHL hockey.

There's no way I could just be a geographical fan and switch allegiances simply because I moved. I'm not wired that way. My job could move me to Chicago or Boston and the thought of cheering for the success of either of those teams makes me ill. I would, however, financially support them by going as often as possible, just like I did here.

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I despise the Blackhawks.
I never blamed the fans, merely stated a fact. Any blame would be a personal matter between fan and mirror.

Exactly! This isn't Toronto, it's a non-traditional market and the fanbase has to be groomed here because it doesn't exist yet in large enough numbers to support a team. The team is going to have to give people a reason to become fans and also find a way to lure fans from their old teams. Otherwise nothing will change.

If the last 20 years had gone differently the fanbase could have continued to grow, instead it shrunk.
So a day or two ago you stated there are plenty of fans and now what few fans we have need to be groomed.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I moved here a year before the Coyotes did and never gave up my Red Wings loyalty. When Detroit was still in the West, I went to non-Detroit games and rooted for the Coyotes to beat everyone else. (I never called them my 2nd-favorite team because I hate that term.) When Detroit (rightfully, finally) moved to the East, I dreamt of a Coyotes-Wings finals matchup and went to 25+ games every year to watch the stars on visiting teams, but mainly to try and help keep the team here.

There aren't enough hockey fans in the Valley. Most people I know who pull for Original 6, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, L.A. never bothered to attend any other games

So in a way I fall under your "root for the teams from cities they used to live in" but I feel like I did my part. (Cancer only took my left nut, so I'm not completely nutless, though.:laugh:) Not enough people would drive an hour to Glendale and the end result is now they have to drive 5 hours to Anaheim to see NHL hockey.

There's no way I could just be a geographical fan and switch allegiances simply because I moved. I'm not wired that way. My job could move me to Chicago or Boston and the thought of cheering for the success of either of those teams makes me ill. I would, however, financially support them by going as often as possible, just like I did here.
Chicago and Boston wouldn't need your support, I (for one) appreciate the support you brought to the Yotes. No need for explanation though, I'm neither judge, nor jury.
I'd have a hard time cheering for a lot of teams, but I would make it happen.
Sorry about the nut.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
So a day or two ago you stated there are plenty of fans and now what few fans we have need to be groomed.

Yep, I did. But you're taking it out of context. I said hockey fans. I also said that they just weren't Coyote fans.

I was referring to all the hockey fans that will go to watch only a few games a year when their team comes to town and root against the Coyotes. And the huge number of Canadians that relocate and/or visit Arizona every year. Those groups for example. But I was mainly referring to potential. There's lots of people that will love hockey and they just need the incentive to get into it and find that out.

The fact is the team needs a healthy mixture of super-fans, die-hards, casual fans, and any other type of fan to do well. I believe that the NHL can work in Arizona, but they have to grow the sport more and it won't happen overnight, and it won't happen without certain expectations of normalcy being met.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Yep, I did. But you're taking it out of context. I said hockey fans. I also said that they just weren't Coyote fans.

I was referring to all the hockey fans that will go to watch only a few games a year when their team comes to town and root against the Coyotes. And the huge number of Canadians that relocate and/or visit Arizona every year. Those groups for example. But I was mainly referring to potential. There's lots of people that will love hockey and they just need the incentive to get into it and find that out.

The fact is the team needs a healthy mixture of super-fans, die-hards, casual fans, and any other type of fan to do well. I believe that the NHL can work in Arizona.

They have to grow the sport more in Arizona and it won't happen overnight and it won't happen without certain expectations of normalcy being met.
Yeah, I knew that and took it out of context on purpose :DD

The sport has grown astronomically since the Yotes have been here, again...... folks just didn't show.

Completely agree with your fan mix, good thing is they're all already here, bad thing is they decided not to support what we had.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
The sport has grown astronomically since the Yotes have been here, again...... folks just didn't show.

I believe a lot more people will become fans if they can actually have pride in the team. All they were given is one of the bigger laughing stocks of N American sports and that isn't going to attract many of any type of fan. They can do a lot better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Yeah, I knew that and took it out of context on purpose :DD

Completely agree with your fan mix, good thing is they're all already here, bad thing is they decided not to support what we had.
I can say with 100% certainty that people will definitely NOT show up if the team sucks. Everyone on this board should know that. More importantly, every person that ever looked into buying this team should have known that. Bitching and moaning isn't going to change a known fact with every sports team here. If the owner isn't willing to spend what it requires to win, he shouldn't be owning the team. The grifters we've had just looked at the team as a bargaining chip. It was never about the team or the fans, just the money they could make by turning the team into a project or subsidies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I believe a lot more people will become fans if they can actually have pride in the team. All they were given is one of the bigger laughing stocks of N American sports and that isn't going to attract many of any type of fan. They can do a lot better.
Nah man don't you know...an iconic classic car, a brand new car, and a used beater with a salvage title are basically the same thing. Well assuming you're a true fan of cars anyway. :sarcasm:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What? LOL. He didn't spend like a regular NHL club and took on dead contracts just to get to the cap floor so he didn't have to spend money.
BA stated many times AM gave him whatever he asked for. BA was the one who took on dead contracts, made trades etc. in this rebuild. It was the BA show since the minute he was hired. BA was the FIRST General Manager who was given the green light to spend whatever he needed at his discretion.

• Haha
Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
A team run by the Meruelos or no team at all feels like, would you rather be in an abusive relationship or single and wait for something better. Give me the latter, even if it takes longer. It'll be worth it just to not have the circus.

Exactly. And this is a market like @Coyotedroppings has been saying that is already fickle with its sports teams. Start the clown show up again, and they'll stay away in droves.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Want to see something hilarious? I hear Utonians are already shocked at the prices and some are trying to get their deposit back.

season-ticket-prices-Utah HC.jpg

Attachments

• season-ticket-prices-released-v0-t7nsl7g29l4d1.jpg
    season-ticket-prices-released-v0-t7nsl7g29l4d1.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Wow
Reactions: RemoAZ

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Want to see something hilarious? I hear Utonians are already shocked at the prices and some are trying to get their deposit back.

View attachment 879740

How many though? I think some would be expected. Until there's some statistics I not so sure it should be a sign of pending trouble.

Edit: Didn't someone point out that they got 3.5x more commitments than they had seats available? If that's the case then they'd have to have an aweful lot of people back out to miss their goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaizen

Dirty Old Man

Yotah Hockey Club
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Wow, ouch. The seats I had in Glendale for $52 the last year there are going for $77 or $94, difficult to tell, in Utah.

I also didn't realize that both ends were partially obstructed?...lol, what a sh**show.

They're making it easier for me to move on, though.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
You can't compare pricing to the Glendale pricing. That pricing was a joke. I've paid more for OHL tickets than I did for tickets in Glendale. If you want to be a big league team, it comes with big league prices.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You can't compare pricing to the Glendale pricing. That pricing was a joke. I've paid more for OHL tickets than I did for tickets in Glendale. If you want to be a big league team, it comes with big league prices.
Man if those are just normal pricing we should have had, I'd be priced out. I think I paid like $7500 for my last pair of season tickets in 109 row C. Granted that was about 14 year ago but damn!

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Well, Meruelo is the only option to bring the NHL back. I guess given the choice, your choice would be to not have a hockey team in Arizona. That's most certainly not my choice.

One more thing I'd like to point out. The AZ team going forward in Utah is going to be one of the better teams for years to come. They have some of the best young prospects in the NHL and they have more draft picks in the coming years than any other team. When Meruelo purchased the team, he had 2 basic options. Go out and spend money on free agents and try and put a band aid on a depleted roster with very little in the prospect pool (which almost all new owners do), or have patience and try and build the team from scratch. Obviously in the GM hiring process, philosophically he liked what Bill Armstrong had in mind. Start all over. Armstrong suggested taking 4-5 years and building within.
That translates to 4-5 years of losing seasons, which is going to affect the bottom line. Meruelo had to be open to losing money. That starts at the box office and incudes marketing, corporate sponsorship, TV packages, etc.. I don't know many owners, if any that would have agreed to that. In my opinion it showed a lot of savvy and was an unselfish choice. Spend 4-5 years being awful for long term success. If you look at most new owner of franchises, they just start throwing money around to satisfy their ego and think they can turn a franchise around over night (see the NY Mets) and it seldom works. I know what kind of response I'm going to get. It was BILL ARMSTRONG! Well, BA does none of that without Meruelo's blessing. Meruelo is the one taking all the chances, both financially and professionally, not BA! Meruelo was in fact building a very strong team on the ice. You'll see it come to fruition over the next few years. To say Meruelo doesn't deserve the credit, is to be dishonest.
My takeaway from the press conference with AM and Bettman, AM didn't want to announce/disclose the money he was losing. Yes, he was losing money, but he didn't want to put it out there. It's like he didn't care he was losing money, he had a bigger goal in mind. He didn't want sympathy, or trying to use that as leverage to get tax breaks or help from the public.

I still believe he wants to be an NHL owner. That is elite company, to own a professional sports franchise, regardless of the league. He has certain things he needs to work on and fix as a franchise owner, but I don't think he's the villian that a lot of Phoenix fans are saying he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad