Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Same former hockey player who got turfed by Rick Tocchet and wasn’t allowed to get his 700th NHL game until Edmonton did him a favor 18 months later.

Same player who most here thought was mailing it in for two years and not giving a shit.

What does this have to do with anything?

I don't understand the constant defense of Meruelo. Maybe if this was his first or second screwup, but to paraphrase Bill Armstrong, he is stacking one screwup on top of another screwup.

Nobody likes Meruelo and nobody wants to work with him. It's time he put his billion dollar cheque in his pocket and just head back to Nevada full time.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Are you here reading all those words for any other reason then you're a bit curious to find out more too? Why else would you still be here?

I also think that their statement may be the death nell. Hastily claiming they've met all legal requirements and then threatening legal action is just an example of Meruelo using a strong-arm tactic to try and force his will. It's also another example of why he seems so universally disliked.
Yea, that was a dumb statement.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't understand the constant defense of Meruelo. Maybe if this was his first or second screwup, but to paraphrase Bill Armstrong, he is stacking one screwup on top of another screwup.

Nobody likes Meruelo and nobody wants to work with him. It's time he put his billion dollar cheque in his pocket and just head back to Nevada full time.
I think AM walks away. Losing this team doesn't affect you like the locals. I guess now, we will all be like you and pick a team of our choice.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I understand it all too well. There are people who latch on to an attitude and an image, and once they do it's nearly impossible to shake them out of it with facts or evidence. The problem has only gotten worse of late, even though you'd think that with the increasing availability of facts and due diligence, it would improve. But now that people can just call anything they don't like "fake news," you're seeing a huge uptick in grifter culture and cult-of-personality campaigns all over the place.

No matter how publicly and blatantly Meruelo shoots himself in the foot, or proves that he's trying to fake his way through things with bluster and bullshit, there are going to be people out there who will not let go of their conviction that Meruelo is a misunderstood financial genius and that the corrupt world is out to get him. How, after all, can someone who owns an island possibly be as incompetent as he seems? And it's because they fail to account for luck, random chance, and context.

Meruelo's not the first, nor will he be the last, rich guy who believes himself to be not only competent, but exceptional in all walks of life simply because of the size of his bank account. And he's also not the first or last rich guy onto whom credulous admirers will latch regardless of the demands of reality.

AZDesertKnight

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Gotta wonder if AM even intended to build an Arena at all.. He wanted to win the auction, own the land.. say, OOPSIE DAISY time ran out to build an arena but I'm going to develop the land anyway and be North Scottsdale/Phoenix Real estate tycoon. Bye NHL...

He and his family are scum of the earth if you know anyone who has worked closely with them. (I do)

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Are you here reading all those words for any other reason then you're a bit curious to find out more too? Why else would you still be here?

I also think that their statement may be the death nell. Hastily claiming they've met all legal requirements and then threatening legal action is just an example of Meruelo using a strong-arm tactic to try and force his will. It's also another example of why he seems so universally disliked.

Only speculating..... but Meruelo's position is this SUP Phoenix wants on the arena shouldn't prevent him from bidding on the land.

IOW..... (paraphrasing) "I already spent a ton of money giving you a plan and everything you asked for to satisfy the conditions of the auction, and now you want something else!!"

Given some here who have speculated he may just using he "deactivated franchise" to leverage his way into a prime piece of real estate he could make millions developing, this is now a possibility to his actual intentions.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

As I said earlier..... Motivation.

If I wanted to post something critical about Meruelo I wouldn't use a rant from someone who did nothing but complain about how he thought he was treated the last 18 months he played here when he even showed on the ice he didn't give a shit.

It isn't as much defending Meruelo as it is putting the criticism where it's actually warranted.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If I wanted to post something critical about Meruelo I wouldn't use a rant from someone who did nothing but complain about how he thought he was treated the last 18 months he played here when he even showed on the ice he didn't give a shit.

Well, I think in the same spirit that people laud Meruelo for picking Bill Armstrong's name at random off of an NHL GM candidate list, we can defend Jason Demers for having the perception to correctly identify the Meruelos as Keystone Kops even though he was basically cashing an easy paycheck instead of playing hard. :sarcasm:

It isn't as much defending Meruelo as it is putting the criticism where it's actually warranted.

I'm having a hard time finding what recent criticism of Meruelo is unwarranted...

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I've been holding off on changing my screen name until seeing how this saga turns out. I'm not sure if I've completely given up on Coyotes v2.0, don't want one if AM is the owner, or just need something that symbolizes closure. Didn't realize how hard it would be to hit save after making the change. I've been Kai Yo T since 2006.

Watch Utah not pick Yeti and I'll have to change it again eventually lol.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I hate lawyers more than you know, but unfortunately we have to trust the one you hire for various reasons. IF you second guess your lawyer why hire a lawyer in the first place.
Legalities and they know the law better than I, but only an idiot would not do some research on what his lawyer is telling him.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Gotta wonder if AM even intended to build an Arena at all.. He wanted to win the auction, own the land.. say, OOPSIE DAISY time ran out to build an arena but I'm going to develop the land anyway and be North Scottsdale/Phoenix Real estate tycoon. Bye NHL...

He and his family are scum of the earth if you know anyone who has worked closely with them. (I do)
No, he didn't. I assure you. The people I know that have worked him have said all along "What comes out in the media doesn't even come close to how bad he really is to work for."

He was never going to build an arena on this land. Ever.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
No, he didn't. I assure you. The people I know that have worked him have said all along "What comes out in the media doesn't even come close to how bad he really is to work for."

He was never going to build an arena on this land. Ever.

The funny thing is, Katie Strang is still getting excoriated for that article she wrote about the Meruelos when, it turns out, if anything she was soft-pedaling the whole situation.

It's incredible how the actual relocation of the team did so much for me personally to remove my blinders. I always thought I was pretty even-handed but in retrospect I was too afraid of the team moving to be as clear-eyed as I needed to be.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Well, I think in the same spirit that people laud Meruelo for picking Bill Armstrong's name at random off of an NHL GM candidate list, we can defend Jason Demers for having the perception to correctly identify the Meruelos as Keystone Kops even though he was basically cashing an easy paycheck instead of playing hard. :sarcasm:

Sarcasm noted.

I'm having a hard time finding what recent criticism of Meruelo is unwarranted...
So am I. But at least I can do it without all the embellishment. :sarcasm:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
So am I. But at least I can do it without all the embellishment. :sarcasm:

You have to remember that this whole situation is still just over a month old. That's not a lot of time for people to work through the grieving process. It's also a hell of a short time to come to terms with the fact that the BoH megathreads had way more truth in them than any of us ever cared to admit. And I don't know about you, but THAT particular admission is like sawing off my own junk with a rusty spoon.

• Haha
Reactions: RemoAZ

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The funny thing is, Katie Strang is still getting excoriated for that article she wrote about the Meruelos when, it turns out, if anything she was soft-pedaling the whole situation.

It's incredible how the actual relocation of the team did so much for me personally to remove my blinders. I always thought I was pretty even-handed but in retrospect I was too afraid of the team moving to be as clear-eyed as I needed to be.

My only criticism was (and still is)….. she said she talked to at least 50 people and only selected those who fit the story she wanted to write.

If all fifty had said the same thing then she could have mentioned that but she didn’t.

And let’s face it. The people running the Coyotes at the time when Meruelo took over weren’t exactly the best of the best.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You have to remember that this whole situation is still just over a month old. That's not a lot of time for people to work through the grieving process. It's also a hell of a short time to come to terms with the fact that the BoH megathreads had way more truth in them than any of us ever cared to admit. And I don't know about you, but THAT particular admission is like sawing off my own junk with a rusty spoon.

I know it’s still early.

The biggest thing that moved needles for me this entire affair still was when Rich Nairn walked away.

There’s always been truths in BoH. Just too many people who chose to go over the top with it and you had to sift through too much bias to get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad