Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It’s known that I’m no fan of AM, but as vile as he might be, I don’t buy the common narrative. Attorney Woods is as good as they get ( personal knowledge) and if he was involved AM did his due diligence. AM got screwed. .
That's what happens when you try to strong arm everyone you do business with. Now that he needs to partner with people, they all give him the middle finger. What comes around...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Didn't say anyone was. Except maybe Jakey at this point. And perhaps the Utah fans.
Sure AM deserves some criticism, but we have no idea what has happened behind closed doors. AM is not very well spoken and comes off as a doofus as rt said, and that is why he stays away from the media. Regardless if you like AM or not, he was our ONLY hope to get a team back within 5 yrs. Many on this board think there is a knight in shining armor ready to come riding in with their $billions because some unhappy ex employee had said as much. I can't see anyone in their right mind wanting to get involved with our political leaders, it's a mess, and if you want to throw the word doofus around look no farther than Hobbs and Gallego, but they aren't the only ones. I really don't care who the owner is, I just want a NHL team back as soon as possible. Also, let's not turn a blind eye at the COP in this mess, as well as the NHL. When AM bought this team the NHL and the COG we already past the love in and while we had a team, it really was in name only, and as it turned out we were just a place holder until the NHL did their thing.

That's what happens when you try to strong arm everyone you do business with. Now that he needs to partner with people, they all give him the middle finger. What comes around...
Strong arm? Everyone? Who? You were in the room when this happened? Or did you hear from a friend of a friend of a friend?

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
At this point, just shut this place down until further notice. So sad that we have all been fooled so badly by money hungry billionaires. We’re the suckers.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Also, let's not turn a blind eye at the COP in this mess, as well as the NHL. When AM bought this team the NHL and the COG we already past the love in and while we had a team, it really was in name only, and as it turned out we were just a place holder until the NHL did their thing.

You were in the room to hear all their discussions and plans? Or did you hear from a friend of a friend of a friend?

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The permit comes before the land. It's really simple. I don't understand why you keep wondering why you need a permit for land you don't own. If you were going to spend millions upon millions of dollars, wouldn't you want the go-ahead from the controlling body so you know you can build what you intend to build on it?

By the same token, the controlling body is allowed to know what you intend to do with it. That's why zoning laws exist.

Hell, when you decommission a building and you intend to pull electrical, etc., you need permits to do that, too.

The fact that Meruelo isn't a builder doesn't excuse him from shitting the bed by not hiring a zoning attorney. It's common practice. If he's supposedly such a good businessman, he would've either known it or had people in place that knew it. Those of us in what I keep deeming "building management" have been laughing at him in group texts and forwarded emails for awhile now. He's an absolute joke.
I admit, I'm not sure what the process is, but the way it sounds no one does. Legend stated that AM has attorney Woods as his zoning attorney.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I think both sides deserve criticism here.

We've seen Meruelo repeatedly make promises and either completely fail to deliver or, at the very best, deliver a fraction of what he promised (while touting it as a success.) We've also heard he's a bit of an A-hole to work with/for. We also know he put people that aren't qualified into positions of power based on nepotism.

On the other hand, the CoP has been working with Meruelo for months now. They got far enough into the process that they felt comfortable scheduling the auction. Was the auction cancelled last minute due to incompetence? Was it because of a souring relationship with Meruelo? Red tape? Was it the State making the City fix a mistake they made in guiding Meruelo through all this? Did the rules change all of a sudden?

Kind of shady IMO.

At the end of the day, Meruelo was the guy that needed to make it all happen and all we got was failure after failure. I don't see Meruelo as the evil guy twisting his moustache like some of you do (I reserve the right to change my mind lol.) What I see are tons of arrogance, stubbornness, and stupidity from Meruelo. It really does seem like all he's good at is pissing people off and creating enemies.

The guy said that he "sure as shit wants to win" and then proceeded to do nothing but rack up losses.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
the CoP has been working with Meruelo for months now.
Do we know this with any certainty? I know AM was having a hell of a time attempting to communicate with the governor and I don't recall seeing anything that indicated he's worked with the COP to date.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I admit, I'm not sure what the process is, but the way it sounds no one does. Legend stated that AM has attorney Woods as his zoning attorney.
Wouldn't you make sure all your i's were dotted, t's crossed and that any questionable permits were secured prior to spending the kind of money this will take? Or would you just wing it and hope that you could build the arena, after the purchase?

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Do we know this with any certainty? I know AM was having a hell of a time attempting to communicate with the governor and I don't recall seeing anything that indicated he's worked with the COP to date.

Note that when I say Meruelo I don't always mean him specifically. I just don't know who is representing him for some of this stuff so I'm being generic. But it was reported that Meruelo and his family met with the Phoenix mayor back at the beginning of April I believe it was.

Anyways, it's really about how they got to a point where they felt Meruelo had met all the requirements and were comfortable enough to schedule the auction. Only to cancel it saying there was more work to be done first. The way it was handled raises questions that I think we'll never have the answers to.

Edit: And maybe sometimes I should be saying state instead of city. I'm confused lol.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Wouldn't you make sure all your i's were dotted, t's crossed and that any questionable permits were secured prior to spending the kind of money this will take? Or would you just wing it and hope that you could build the arena, after the purchase?

Well.....

The SUP is usually something you get once you obtain a property. Because people have already posted out on the internet, it's a long and sometimes expensive process. So if you're watching your expenditures you aren't going to throw money at something unless there's a reasonable chance you will get what you want.

Besides..... If COP is so adamant about this CUP being necessary then why didn't they stipulate this in the beginning?? They knew what Meruelo was aiming for and could have easily included it in their package to the AZLD.

Tempe specified an arena in their RFP so everyone up front knew what was necessary, so why didn't COP???

So whatever your what to believe...... dropping this CUP requirement at the last minute was intentional. They either did not want this arena built (thus competing with Footprint downtown) or they just didn't want Meruelo.... or even both. I'll add to this by saying not long ago COP reached out to the DBacks about helping them out with Chase.

Chase is a county owned property (ie an county island) for which COP has zero connection to...... other than it brings in millions sales tax money to the surrounding businesses on their own turf. COP desperately wants to save what they have in the downtown core and add onto it.

Adding a second ED in the north area would fly directly against that.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Note that when I say Meruelo I don't always mean him specifically. I just don't know who is representing him for some of this stuff so I'm being generic. But it was reported that Meruelo and his family met with the Phoenix mayor back at the beginning of April I believe it was.

Anyways, it's really about how they got to a point where they felt Meruelo had met all the requirements and were comfortable enough to schedule the auction. Only to cancel it saying there was more work to be done first. The way it was handled raises questions that I think we'll never have the answers to.

Edit: And maybe sometimes I should be saying state instead of city. I'm confused lol.
I don't recall that meeting taking place. The state board of appeals considered the proposal on March 14th and I believe this was the meeting that moved the auction forward. If you aren't confusing the two and there was a COP meeting, it's certainly fair to question their motive.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Well.....

The SUP is usually something you get once you obtain a property. Because people have already posted out on the internet, it's a long and sometimes expensive process. So if you're watching your expenditures you aren't going to throw money at something unless there's a reasonable chance you will get what you want.

Besides..... If COP is so adamant about this CUP being necessary then why didn't they stipulate this in the beginning?? They knew what Meruelo was aiming for and could have easily included it in their package to the AZLD.

Tempe specified an arena in their RFP so everyone up front knew what was necessary, so why didn't COP???

So whatever your what to believe...... dropping this CUP requirement at the last minute was intentional. They either did not want this arena built (thus competing with Footprint downtown) or they just didn't want Meruelo.... or even both. I'll add to this by saying not long ago COP reached out to the DBacks about helping them out with Chase.

Chase is a county owned property (ie an county island) for which COP has zero connection to...... other than it brings in millions sales tax money to the surrounding businesses on their own turf. COP desperately wants to save what they have in the downtown core and add onto it.

Adding a second ED in the north area would fly directly against that.
I don't think "usually" applies to anything Coyotes. Personally, I can't reconcile waiting until after purchase to obtain something that will be necessary for intended use. AM already spent quite a bit of dough on studies (Speedie & Associates among others) to get this far, only an asshat would leave a thread hanging that could find him with 95 acres, short 68.5B+ and a completely derailed plan.

This reminds me of a neighboring rancher we had in AZ once upon a time. His well diggers told him 30 more feet and we'll hit water, he proclaims you've drilled far enough and sends them packing. Guy winds up buying a water truck thinking he can haul water from our place to his, so we put a meter where he got the water from us and charged him for every gallon. Point being stubborn and stupid will cost ya. His wife had them finish drilling the final 30' after he died.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Same former hockey player who got turfed by Rick Tocchet and wasn’t allowed to get his 700th NHL game until Edmonton did him a favor 18 months later.

Same player who most here thought was mailing it in for two years and not giving a shit.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I guess, like the rest of the officials, point fingers at the other. AM may have been told by his lawyer that he had all his i's dotted and t's crossed. We don't know what was told, and who needed what and who's responsibility it was to do what. This is just typical mixed up Arizona politics.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It was mentioned many time they were having difficulty getting an appointment with the COP shit head mayor Gallego but did finally secure a meeting. Not sure about the Governor, another brain dead politician, but wouldn't you think something as important as this a politician could somehow, some way, rearrange their schedule for a hour long meeting. If our politicians think a certain thing is over their head, at least direct that person or organization in the right direction. All we heard from Gallego is that she doesn't believe in tax abatements for a sports facility or something along those lines.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think "usually" applies to anything Coyotes. Personally, I can't reconcile waiting until after purchase to obtain something that will be necessary for intended use. AM already spent quite a bit of dough on studies (Speedie & Associates among others) to get this far, only an asshat would leave a thread hanging that could find him with 95 acres, short 68.5B+ and a completely derailed plan.

This reminds me of a neighboring rancher we had in AZ once upon a time. His well diggers told him 30 more feet and we'll hit water, he proclaims you've drilled far enough and sends them packing. Guy winds up buying a water truck thinking he can haul water from our place to his, so we put a meter where he got the water from us and charged him for every gallon. Point being stubborn and stupid will cost ya. His wife had them finish drilling the final 30' after he died.
And how do you know AM left a thread hanging? I guess you were in the room with your bestie GTB.;):nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad