Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

Status
Not open for further replies.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
What I've never been able to understand is how almost every NHL team is committed to recycling old and tired GM's, no matter what there record is.

Surely there has to be some good young GM candidates out there just waiting for the chance to run an NHL team. But you look around the league and it's like deja vu all over again.

I guess the Canucks are fortunate that they went out and hired Jim Rutherford, who has the sense to pass to torch to younger people. He's installed Patrik Allvin as his everyday GM and hired some young, fresh aces in the hockey ops department.

And it shows.....according to the Athletic, the Canucks now have the fifth more efficient payroll in the entire NHL.
Seems like Jackson (?) was making decent moves for the Oilers so the need for a different GM was pretty much nil.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
owner-managers are really rare in modern corporations. zuck, bezos and gates built meta, amazon and msft into what they are because they could take a long view as they were both owners and managers. google lost it's way when page and brin mostly exited the business. even apple pivoted from it's traditional product oriented long term positioning to short term stock price motivated actions when cook took the reigns from jobs
When you go from private to public, but still incur losses, while building up the business, the investors are banking on the future. When the company finally turns a profit and regularly does, then it does seem like their focus shifts to being more short term as that is when the investors want to get a return on their money.

If you can afford to remain private and you value innovation, might be better to remain private.

Reactions: Nopefully

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
What I've never been able to understand is how almost every NHL team is committed to recycling old and tired GM's, no matter what there record is.

Surely there has to be some good young GM candidates out there just waiting for the chance to run an NHL team. But you look around the league and it's like deja vu all over again.

The OBC is the OBC. Once you're in, you're set for a life. You can be the worst GM ever and still get considered for jobs. (Benning excluded, lol) I mean Peter Chiarelli was up for the Ottawa GM despite all the terrible GMing he's done.

There's only a handful of GMs out there that have "earned" their spot. The rest are just ex-players that the owner fell in love with and shoehorn them into management. The shine has really come off Yzerman but he's a god in Detroit and will never be fired (most likely forced to re-sign)

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
The OBC is the OBC. Once you're in, you're set for a life. You can be the worst GM ever and still get considered for jobs. (Benning excluded, lol) I mean Peter Chiarelli was up for the Ottawa GM despite all the terrible GMing he's done.

There's only a handful of GMs out there that have "earned" their spot. The rest are just ex-players that the owner fell in love with and shoehorn them into management. The shine has really come off Yzerman but he's a god in Detroit and will never be fired (most likely forced to re-sign)
Jimbo spent like 25 years gainfully employed as an NHL executive. The fact he was part of the 2011 Bruins FO earned him a decade of paychecks no matter how little he achieved thereafter, or whatever organization success could actually be attributed to him specifically. If you're part of the OBC and you have at least one ring, no matter how you got it, it's like having a gold plated retirement plan.

Reactions: Caspian

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Jimbo spent like 25 years gainfully employed as an NHL executive. The fact he was part of the 2011 Bruins FO earned him a decade of paychecks no matter how little he achieved thereafter, or whatever organization success could actually be attributed to him specifically. If you're part of the OBC and you have at least one ring, no matter how you got it, it's like having a gold plated retirement plan.

If your the likes of Mike Gillis or Ted Nolan, the OBC could give a rats ass about you. No matter how much success you have in the NHL, once your deemed 'too difficult' or 'a hothead', your ass is grass.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I guess the Canucks are fortunate that they went out and hired Jim Rutherford, who has the sense to pass to torch to younger people. He's installed Patrik Allvin as his everyday GM and hired some young, fresh aces in the hockey ops department.

And it shows.....according to the Athletic, the Canucks now have the fifth more efficient payroll in the entire NHL.
Let’s review the number of first time GMs current in the nhl:
Cal, Van, La, SJ, Ana, LV, Col, Dal, Nash, chi, Win, Min, Utah, Ott, Mon, Buf, Bos, TB, Fla, NYR, NJ, Philly, Was, Car.

The retreads are:
Det with Yzerman, Tor with Treliving, Pitt with Dubas, CBJ with Waddell, NYI with Lou, Edm with Bowman, Sea with Francis, StL with Armstrong (with a succession plan to hand over to first timer Steen).

So 1/4 are retreads. I think that’s a good ratio of retreads for the GM role. Of this 8, NYI needed the stability of Lou at the time, Yzerman had the TB glow, Waddell had a good run with Carolina.

Bowman has the resume but the baggage.
Dubas, Francis, Treliving, and Armstrong at the time you could make a case against them. Armstrong joined the blues after his Dallas stint and served under Pleau before taking over the job.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
All you can base the value of a contract on is what the player 'has' done, rather than what he 'could' do.

And on that basis, there's no way he's worth $875,000 more than J.T. Miller. And for that matter he's not worth more than Horvat either. Those two guys are natural centers, far more valuable than a winger like Konecny.
I dont think you realize how much pace matters and ironically it is what the player has done

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
And we can all hope either the Flames, Leafs, Bruins, or Oilers will someday employ Jethro Bodine as as their GM for the next 25 years.

• Love
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
I found Marek nauseating on the 32 pod cast. He would literally speak for 3-4 minutes and 3 mintues of it would be filler. Friedman’s been carrying that guy for years. He’s a fine host, but in the podcast, not a fan.

Reactions: Vector

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Seems like Jackson (?) was making decent moves for the Oilers so the need for a different GM was pretty much nil.
I think Jackson wants to stay a president you don’t get blamed as much and have more job security. Look at Shanahan in Toronto.

Reactions: quat

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Apparently Jackson didn't want the GM gig because of the commitment required. He has kids that are youngish and wants to be around for them.

Reactions: quat

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Breaking news:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1722136791743.jpg
    FB_IMG_1722136791743.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 4

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I wasn't surprised at all that Bowman mentioned he'd worked with Sheldon Kennedy and had his support taking the GM job. I would have been tasteless to say so when his story broke, and I've never had occasion to say it since, but after he became a household name and began appearing in media frequently, Kennedy always struck me as not very bright and way over his head participating in public/political discourse related to his new role.

Last edited:

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I'm telling you, there's a world where the Canucks eliminate the Oilers in the second round and Draisaitl doesn't sign an extension this summer because he's unsure if the team has what it takes to make it over the hump.

That would've been back-to-back losses in the second round for the Oilers.

Now we gotta deal with this guy for the next 7-8 years.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I'm telling you, there's a world where the Canucks eliminate the Oilers in the second round and Draisaitl doesn't sign an extension this summer because he's unsure if the team has what it takes to make it over the hump.

There's also a world where they win Game 7 against Florida so lets just be happy that didnt happen

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Konecny has averaged 78 points/82 over the past two years and been the runaway leading scorer on a bad team with no linemates or support.

He’d be scoring 90 points if he was riding shotgun with Miller or Pettersson in Vancouver.

Konecny has been near a point per game on an offensively inept team in Philadephia. This guy gets almost none of his points on the powerplay and is a 2 way beast. If he gets insulated and Philly adds some players for their PP he could clip 90 pts.

He is far and away better than both Horvat and Lindholm, and your other comparable (Miller) has one of the best AAV production contracts in the NHL - it's not really a fair comparison.

Not to take anything away from Konecny, but I think he might be one of those players where he's better driving his own line. If he was actually riding shotgun with Miller or Petey his overall worth might be less.

If your the likes of Mike Gillis or Ted Nolan, the OBC could give a rats ass about you. No matter how much success you have in the NHL, once your deemed 'too difficult' or 'a hothead', your ass is grass.

While I am surprised that Gillis never got another job, I can see why. Gillis has always looked for the perfect situation. When he was fired, he reportedly had 4 years $8M left on his contract. He probably wanted some time away and then he got more and more into sports performance.

Gillis was also more interested in being a POHO. And given what we know about him, he probably demanded full autonomy and $$$ to carry out his vision. There's not a whole lot of team looking for that kind of commitment. Many teams looking for a POHO hired a former player. Maybe if the timeline fit Gillis had a chance of being hired by the Leafs instead of Shanahan but it didn't.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

Are they going to tie up $30M AAV between Conner and Drai's extensions? Drai needs to go to be the #1 guy on another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad