Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This is how most think but diehards kinda always wanted to ignore it.

Um…. this is known as circling the wagons.

Maybe you don’t realize this but the City of Phoenix just had their asses handed to them publicly by the US Department of Justice over their police department’s behavior the past few years.

Everyone from the mayor on down got roasted, so right now they all have to be a bit sensitive over people sabre rattling at them with talk of litigation.

Lauren Kuby took her own shots as well, but she’s got an alterior motive in this because she’s been shopping herself around for some other political position ever since she left the Tempe city council.

Jagged Ice

Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
BTW…..

The reaction from elsewhere within COP to the Coyotes response on social media yesterday has been nasty.

This is going to go nowhere.
After I read the Coyotes response I knew the COP was going to be pissed off. Incompetence and crybaby cards can be handed out to both sides at this point. This was over long before it started but now the coffin has its final nail and is six feet under.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
He’s always referred to XG telling him they believed they had the proper zoning.

I guess asshats always ASSume too many things. ;)
Relying on XG for honesty is always a mistake.

Damn it.... I was saving up the ass of u and me bit for a special occasion! :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: ck26

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Jeezus! I completely forgot about the game because the Coyotes always find a way to ruin things.
Well, if I've learned anything herein, it's that the game really isn't all that important. What's important is who owns the team, how they treat their players, where the arena is located, etc., yeah..... the game takes a back seat to all that. :sarcasm:

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
After I read the Coyotes response I knew the COP was going to be pissed off. Incompetence and crybaby cards can be handed out to both sides at this point
Only way to solve this is by making Am jr participate in that Khali ritual from Indiana jones and the temple of doom.

• Haha
Reactions: Jagged Ice

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Um…. this is known as circling the wagons.

Maybe you don’t realize this but the City of Phoenix just had their asses handed to them publicly by the US Department of Justice over their police department’s behavior the past few years.

Everyone from the mayor on down got roasted, so right now they all have to be a bit sensitive over people sabre rattling at them with talk of litigation.

Lauren Kuby took her own shots as well, but she’s got an alterior motive in this because she’s been shopping herself around for some other political position ever since she left the Tempe city council.
As I wrote and right on cue. Glendale was bad, Tempe screwed up, COP don't know what they're doing.....seems there is a common denominator in all of these failings???

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Well, if I've learned anything herein, it's that the game really isn't all that important. What's important is who owns the team, how they treat their players, where the arena is located, etc., yeah..... the game takes a back seat to all that. :sarcasm:
Well, the NHL is an entertainment business, so all those things are very important to the league's existence and success. Without them all that's left is pond hockey in the backyard. That's just how it is... get over it! There will never be enough sheeple to support a team that does nothing to deserve it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
Oh for crying out loud.
AM turned out to be quite a bit less than even my guarded initial expectations.
This turn of events is depressing.
f*** You AM.

Reactions: ck26

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I'm not a lawyer but how I read it is the Council asks for the permit and the Commission decides to give one or not. Still don't see how anyone can apply for a permit without owning the land. The auction package I would think outlined what was needed to bid, and the risks and cost of not winning the bid. This is just typical for Arizona. We have and still see it with the Diamondbacks, COG and now COP. We have a bunch of dummies in office that don't have two nickels to rub together all trying to make a name for themselves.

Everyone knew what was going to be built there if AM won the bid.
The permit comes before the land. It's really simple. I don't understand why you keep wondering why you need a permit for land you don't own. If you were going to spend millions upon millions of dollars, wouldn't you want the go-ahead from the controlling body so you know you can build what you intend to build on it?

By the same token, the controlling body is allowed to know what you intend to do with it. That's why zoning laws exist.

Hell, when you decommission a building and you intend to pull electrical, etc., you need permits to do that, too.

The fact that Meruelo isn't a builder doesn't excuse him from shitting the bed by not hiring a zoning attorney. It's common practice. If he's supposedly such a good businessman, he would've either known it or had people in place that knew it. Those of us in what I keep deeming "building management" have been laughing at him in group texts and forwarded emails for awhile now. He's an absolute joke.

Last edited:

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
The permit comes before the land. It's really simple. I don't understand why you keep wondering why you need a permit for land you don't own. If you were going to spend millions upon millions of dollars, wouldn't you want the go-ahead from the controlling body so you know you can build what you intend to build on it?
Exactly. I thought it was asinine when the CoP allegedly told Morgan that AM had to basically buy the land to find out if he could build an arena on it. Imagine the CoP or the State (whoever) coming back after you buy the land and saying "sorry, you can't build that arena we've known all along that you want to build."

The fact that Meruelo isn't a builder doesn't excuse him from shitting the bed by not hiding a zoning attorney.
@TheLegend pointed out that Meruelo supposedly had/has Nick Woods as his Zoning Attorney. I can't access the AZCentral article to read the details though.

Edit: If that's the case Meruelo should've just let Nick Woods handle this behind the scenes instead of immediately threatening legal action. THAT was dumb.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
As I wrote and right on cue. Glendale was bad, Tempe screwed up, COP don't know what they're doing.....seems there is a common denominator in all of these failings???

Glendale did what they could to mitigate the damage.

Tempe isn’t bad…. Their citizens got lied to by a group of local interests.

COP has massive PR problems right now that makes the Coyotes situation look like Romper Room.

The only common denominator here is your 50,000 foot high myopic view.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Per 32 thoughts podcast today, NHL wants meruelo out. As soon as he’s gone they can start the process for another group to eventually bring a new team here.

Anyone in this fanbase with any sense should be rooting every single day for meruelo to do the right thing and walk away for good.

That’s been a consistent theme and there’s plenty of evidence as to why they want that.

But I can’t (nor anyone else should) ignore the fact that the league dropped this team here 28 years ago with literally zero preparation and out of desperation……. And then spent all this time doing a half assed job vetting the parade of ownerships.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I for one am just shocked, shocked I say, that the city of Phoenix and ASLD and NHL and city council and fanbase and tempe voters and Gary Bettman would ever treat Mr Meruelo like this. They should all be ashamed of themselves for requiring such things as due diligence and permits and hard work and a plan and they should just ignore all of that for Mr Meruelo's vision, Mr Meruelo deserves only the best and everyone is being so mean to him that he has no choice but to be mean to them back, they should just suck up their tiny fragile egos and acknowledge the genius businessman that Mr Meruelo is and be happy to work with him and capitulate to all of his demands and not let silly little things like bureaucracy get in the way of Mr Meruelo's VISION that will put billions and billions of dollars in their pockets. Mr Meruelo knows best and he's proven it again and again, why can't these troglodytes see that and know that they're lesser than he is?

SMH, if only everyone would listen to the genius that Mr Meruelo is.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I for one am just shocked, shocked I say, that the city of Phoenix and ASLD and NHL and city council and fanbase and tempe voters and Gary Bettman would ever treat Mr Meruelo like this. They should all be ashamed of themselves for requiring such things as due diligence and permits and hard work and a plan and they should just ignore all of that for Mr Meruelo's vision, Mr Meruelo deserves only the best and everyone is being so mean to him that he has no choice but to be mean to them back, they should just suck up their tiny fragile egos and acknowledge the genius businessman that Mr Meruelo is and be happy to work with him and capitulate to all of his demands and not let silly little things like bureaucracy get in the way of Mr Meruelo's VISION that will put billions and billions of dollars in their pockets. Mr Meruelo knows best and he's proven it again and again, why can't these troglodytes see that and know that they're lesser than he is?

SMH, if only everyone would listen to the genius that Mr Meruelo is.

Not what any of us are really saying here but sarcasm duly noted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad