Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
MSN

"Phoenix Councilman Jim Waring, whose district the proposed arena would be in, said Friday that the Coyotes should "get a zoning attorney. They don't have one. Get in the city, come up with a plan and go through the process. Then buy it."

It's not good that AM is already threatening potential legal action against the people he needs cooperation from. Especially when he isn't hiring the right people that are actually in the know and could've avoided this situation. That's on him, not CoP.
Oh I suspect they're about to get an attorney, lots of them, but it won't be to work with anyone. I expect they're probably going to get into some litigation spat with AZ Land Dept and/or City of Phoenix because Coyotes.

That's the whole book not the cliff notes. haha
Thanks for posting it though, might try to watch it later tonight.

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

Jagged Ice

Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I lost about 90% hope in AM during the Tempe campaign. Months before the vote when he didn't properly finance the campaign.
I lost all hope at the Gary/AM press conference. Gary's body language gave me all I needed to know.
If you are still crossing your fingers that AM and his son will actually build an entertainment district and state of the art arena off the 101 and 56th street, you can uncross them and move on with your life. I did and it brought me peace.
Trust me, the BOG and Gary Bettman want nothing to do with this clown and knew he'd fu#k this all up anyway.
Auction cancelled. :laugh: Of course it is.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah, Craig went off, was kinda fun. I don't agree with his statement that we were told the land was zoned already, we weren't, we were told that the facility that was to be built in N. Phx. was the same situation..... Craig did eventually allude to that, but his initial statement was wrong and it was always a potential problem.

He’s always referred to XG telling him they believed they had the proper zoning.
Definitely and that is part of the due diligence I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I guess asshats always ASSume too many things. ;)

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Taking a fat L seemingly on purpose and then threatening toothless legal action is pretty on brand for AM.

It's clear this was always a flip play and he wants to pocket the gain but his ego won't let him do it outright. It has to be the fault of someone else.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
This is what it all seems like to me:

CoP: No, that's not what that means. The zoning might not be what you think it is.

AM: Yes it is!

CoP: No, it's not. Here's what we need from you...

AM: (Being difficult instead of just doing it) But I've met every obligation under Arizona law"

CoP: Maybe you should get a Zoning Attorney to help you through the process.

AM: I don't need one, I'm right, you're wrong. I'll sue!

Auction gets cancelled because AM didn't play ball, didn't hire an expert on the matter, thinks he's done everything he should have to do. Now everyone dislikes each other, development never happens.

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Watching a sympathetic Sun Belt team as they slowly throw away a 3-0 lead in the Stanley Cup finals.

Load up NHL dot com because I'd rather listen to the FLA radio stream than the awful ESPN announcers.

Wonder why "Coyotes statement on the Arizona land auction" is among the "Top Stories"

Click the link

Wonder why twitter just opened.

Realize it's not the 27th yet and there's no chance that anything positive could possibly be in a Coyotes Land Auction twitter statement.

Read anyway.

Just Coyotes being Coyotes.

Someone draft AM into the Army engineers, because if there's a landmine buried anywhere on the battlefield, he'll find it and step on it.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
There is one small bright spot in this latest hilariously stupid gaffe - the fact that the Land Trust wants Meruelo to apply for a permit to actually build an arena and not just commercial development on the land.

Maybe a question we should be asking is why Meruelo didn't apply for that permit in the initial filing...
All part of the plan errr grift?

You can keep on pointing fingers at AM all you want, but you are the one losing out in the long run.
We already lost because of this bastard.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Can we fire Alex Meruelo into the sun and find a new owner to bring a team back? This guy is f***ing horseshit.
And who is going to replace AM? There is not one name out there that anyone has heard. Not one.

This is perhaps a random and completely unimportant point but what the hey:

I guess all that speculation/rumor mongering of other bidders was baloney yes?
Otherwise they wouldn't cancel the auction.
Exactly. They wanted a bidding war.

All part of the plan errr grift?

We already lost because of this bastard.
We lost a long time ago and didn't know it. You can bitch about AM all you want for the next ten years or more because you will have plenty of time on your hands waiting for a team to come back. Then you will be calling the new group grifters because they will be wanting tax abatements that will make AM's ask look like chump change.

Last edited:
Reactions: awfulwaffle

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
There were reports that there were people that wanted to buy the team to keep it here but he didn't want to sell. I believe this was simply to force a relocation sale which would net him the most money for the franchise. This whole buying land garbage, if true would have been for him just to make money on the land if he won. I doubt he even planned to build an arena on it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nowotny

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There were reports that there were people that wanted to buy the team to keep it here but he didn't want to sell. I believe this was simply to force a relocation sale which would net him the most money for the franchise. This whole buying land garbage, if true would have been for him just to make money on the land if he won. I doubt he even planned to build an arena on it.
Don't you think names would have surfaced? No one wants to buy the Yote's for $1B and then have to build an arena on their dime with no tax abatements. A city will have to step up big time to get ANY group interested, and that won't happen in this political climate here in Arizona.

Reactions: PainForShane

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Don't you think names would have surfaced? No one wants to buy the Yote's for $1B and then have to build an arena on their dime with no tax abatements. A city will have to step up big time to get ANY group interested, and that won't happen in this political climate here in Arizona.
Of course not for a billion. That's why he forced a relocation sale. That is what got him a huge ROI. If he would have sold to someone in state, it would have been for much less.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

“Reports”, “rumors”…..

Don’t mean shit.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad