Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
According to Craig Morgan, Meruelo was told weeks ago by the City of Phoenix that he literally had to win the auction before he could submit a "Zoning Interpretation Request" to see if they'd allow him to build the arena. And that they wouldn't guarantee approval if it was needed. Which is asinine.
If this is true, then I would sue the city. This not in good faith.
Sounds like they want to be asshats.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
How in hell can you point fingers at AM for any of this?
I'm still rooting for the asshat, but wouldn't it have been prudent for him to address this issue with the state long ago? We all knew he would need this, so it seems to me that it would have been logical for him to get out in front of it sooner, rather than later..... I know I would have.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
There is one small bright spot in this latest hilariously stupid gaffe - the fact that the Land Trust wants Meruelo to apply for a permit to actually build an arena and not just commercial development on the land.

Maybe a question we should be asking is why Meruelo didn't apply for that permit in the initial filing...

Bingo. If that truly was his intention, that should've been near the top of the list, if not priority #1.

He's never going to build here because he's never going to buy the land. No one should be surprised.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
According to Craig Morgan, Meruelo was told weeks ago by the City of Phoenix that he literally had to win the auction before he could submit a "Zoning Interpretation Request" to see if they'd allow him to build the arena. And that they wouldn't guarantee approval if it was needed. Which is asinine.

Unless I'm misunderstanding all this, it seems to me that the City of Phoenix is responsible for this turn of events because it's different than what they said was required previously. Meruelo may have been misled.
Maybe, probably. But bad things always happen with this ownership group. AM's strong-arm tactics rub everyone the wrong way....might be why there's obstacles and poison pills at every turn.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
There is one small bright spot in this latest hilariously stupid gaffe - the fact that the Land Trust wants Meruelo to apply for a permit to actually build an arena and not just commercial development on the land.

Maybe a question we should be asking is why Meruelo didn't apply for that permit in the initial filing...
Absolutely!

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I have never heard of applying for a permit on land you don't own. This should have all be stipulated in the auction packet if that was what they wanted. Sounds like AM was the only applicant. State probably thought there would be a bidding war. Why should anyone be surprised, really.

The permit is because the land isn’t zoned properly for an arena.

Sounds to me like a permit has less chance of trouble than getting the land actually re-zoned.

Rezoning can put you in referendum territory.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'm still rooting for the asshat, but wouldn't it have been prudent for him to address this issue with the state long ago? We all knew he would need this, so it seems to me that it would have been logical for him to get out in front of it sooner, rather than later..... I know I would have.
It’s COP…. Not the state.

State just wants to be sure something gets built on it right away.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
You can keep on pointing fingers at AM all you want, but you are the one losing out in the long run.
Jake, come on. Our best chance of seeing NHL hockey in the desert anytime soon is for AM to go away. He's not building an arena in the Valley, it will never happen. If he had any sense of decency, he'd take his $1B payday for selling the team and just go away.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The permit is because the land isn’t zoned properly for an arena.

Sounds to me like a permit has less chance of trouble than getting the land actually re-zoned.

Rezoning can put you in referendum territory.
Again, I'm no lawyer, but how can anyone file for a permit on land you don't own? Wasn't AM told the land wasn't zoned for an arena and IF successful he would need a permit to build an arena, AND the permit was not guaranteed?

Jake, come on. Our best chance of seeing NHL hockey in the desert anytime soon is for AM to go away. He's not building an arena in the Valley, it will never happen. If he had any sense of decency, he'd take his $1B payday for selling the team and just go away.
Well, I guess we will be seeing you in 15 yrs.:nod:

Reactions: weslox

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Again, I'm no lawyer, but how can anyone file for a permit on land you don't own? Wasn't AM told the land wasn't zoned for an arena and IF successful he would need a permit to build an arena, AND the permit was not guaranteed?

Well, I guess we will be seeing you in 15 yrs.:nod:
15 years > Never

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
vq204.jpg

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
@The Legend
Who defuq is Rich Nairn?
And is Rich even a name? i thought its an adjective. Or a funny name for a satire/comedy movie like richy rich or something.

On a more serious note. Can AM even get a permit for land he doesn't own?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad