Proposal: Which fan base would do this trade Matthew Knies For Jesper Wallstedt

Which fan base would do this trade and if so why?

• Neutral fan would do the trade

Votes: 24 5.2%
  • Neutral fan would not do the trade

Votes: 193 41.4%
  • Toronto fan would do the trade

Votes: 61 13.1%
  • Toronto fan would not do the trade

Votes: 89 19.1%
  • Minnesota fan would do the trade

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Minnesota fan would not do the trade

Votes: 91 19.5%

• Total voters

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
You don't know enough about the top goaltending prospect in the world, but you're weighing in on goaltending prospects? Smart.
From a Leafs perspective yes. Hildeby had a better 1st season in the AHL than Wallstedt has had for his first two.

Objectively, Wallstedt is better based on pedigree and professional scouting , but there's no reason for the Leafs to trade a top 6 winger (position of weakness) for a goalie prospect, when they already have a great one on the Marlies.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Knies is a 2nd liner at best, Wallstedt is one of the best prospects in the world

Insane for Minnesota

Reactions: Paulinbc

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Power forwards always, always take longer to develop; Knies has absolutely enormous upside. He’s got the skill, work rate, shot, and power game to be an absolute force once he really starts putting defenders on his back. 21 and already a solid NHL’er, once he hits 25 when power forwards blossom he’s going to be a star.

Leafs would be insane to trade him, because the players we’d trade him for aren’t available.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
“Neutral” fans saying Toronto would consider this are clueless. Trading a near guaranteed top 6 power forward for a goalie prospect when that’s actually a strength of the organization (Woll, Hildeby, Akhtyamov, Peksa) and they are lacking young forward talent, especially with size, makes no sense.

People saying Knies can’t be a top line player when he’s far more accomplished at his age than Hyman/Bunting ever were equally so…

Last edited:

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Knies is the gritty skilled players need to win a championship. No one in the top 6 brings that element for the leafs.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
The Leafs wouldn’t move a rare stylistic piece that took a decade+ to find for a hope/dream in Wallstedt.

People implying Knies will top out as some run of the mill 2/3LW is funny but expected. How many 21 years olds have his skill/size/power game and played top 6 against top competition as a rookie. Let’s see the list.

To sell Knies for a non-NHL regular goalie, I’d need better than a guy with worse numbers than Hildeby in the SHL/AHL, pedigree and all.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Neutral fan options are essentally "both teams say no" or "both tams say yes".

I'll go with an option that isn't available and say Toronto says yes, while Minnesota says no. Toronto can porbably make it work by adding pieces though.

I'm not convinced Toronto does say yes, like I said they already have a talented young goaltender in Joseph Woll, and while he hasn't proven a ton he's proven a hell of a lot more than Wallstedt has.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Makes no sense for Minnesota.

Makes some sense for Toronto.

How does it make sense for Toronto? They already have a talented young goaltender in Joseph Woll, who hasn't proven a ton but he's proven a hell of a lot more than Wallstedt, plus at 21 years old, baring injury Knies is a guaranteed top 6 forward.

Leafs actually have a fairly decent 2nd waive of talent coming up in Knies, Robertson, Woll, Cowan and Minten they shouldn't be trading that for a prospect goaltender, especially when the team is actually quite deep in goaltending prospects.

If they were to trade Knies for a top prospect, and they shouldn't at all.

But if they did the best position to do that for would be a center prospect, because the team has very little in center prospects.

It's Minten and not much else.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
When it comes to Knies, a lot of folks ignore his most appealing attribute which is he projects a top 6 power forward. Too many people saying he is just a 2nd line winger. Most teams kill for a guy like him in their top 6 and honestly he's been in 2 playoffs and been clutch af in both. Guy is a winner.

If it wasn't for the hype, no one is saying Wallstedt is any good for a .910sv% in the AHL and a .897sv in 1 NHL game. Meanwhile you know Knies is an NHler
Askarov and Wallstedt are considered the clear 2 best goalie prospects. Both hovered around .910.

Askarovs team went to the finals, and his backup had a .907.

Wallstedts team was trash, and his backup had a .880, while being a career .908 in the AHL over 300 games. Wallstedt was 22 -19 win loss, McIntyre 4-14. He carried a terrible team as one of the youngest goalies in the league.

Prospects are overrated
can this guy even play
He has a shutout in the NHL... so yes.

He also gave up a touchdown in his previous game, but let's ignore that for my convenience

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How does it make sense for Toronto? They already have a talented young goaltender in Joseph Woll, who hasn't proven a ton but he's proven a hell of a lot more than Wallstedt, plus at 21 years old, baring injury Knies is a guaranteed top 6 forward.

Leafs actually have a fairly decent 2nd waive of talent coming up in Knies, Robertson, Woll, Cowan and Minten they shouldn't be trading that for a prospect goaltender, especially when the team is actually quite deep in goaltending prospects.

If they were to trade Knies for a top prospect, and they shouldn't at all.

But if they did the best position to do that for would be a center prospect, because the team has very little in center prospects.

It's Minten and not much else.
Leafs have average, at best, goaltending. Wallstedt is one of the best goaltending prospects in the league. He'd instantly add credibility.

Knies hasn't cleared 35 points. I wouldn't call him a guaranteed top 6 forward. That team doesn't really need wingers or top 6 forwards. They have enough up front. They need better goaltending and defensemen.

Wallstedt could be a solution for 10 years to their goaltending. Woll could have an .893 next year, and no one would be surprised. They'd be back at square one then. Relying on him will get them exactly where they've been in recent years.

Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Knies is nice, but if you think Wall can be a #1, what's the point of that?

From Toronto it makes no sense either, they have Woll/Stolly and Hildeby in the wings, hell Martin Jones had some nice starts for Toronto, not that he is the future, but Toronto has way more than enough young goalies.

I don't think either team does it, Minnesota just drafted the guy and Toronto is set in net.
pretty much this but goalies are hard to gauge for me.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
Leafs have average, at best, goaltending. Wallstedt is one of the best goaltending prospects in the league. He'd instantly add credibility.

Knies hasn't cleared 35 points. I wouldn't call him a guaranteed top 6 forward. That team doesn't really need wingers or top 6 forwards. They have enough up front. They need better goaltending and defensemen.

Wallstedt could be a solution for 10 years to their goaltending. Woll could have an .893 next year, and no one would be surprised. They'd be back at square one then. Relying on him will get them exactly where they've been in recent years.
Average goal tending. You mean their goalie prospect who had better stats in the AHL than Walllstedt?. Or Woll who gave up 2 goals in 2 games and 1 period in the playoffs against Boston.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Average goal tending. You mean their goalie prospect who had better stats in the AHL than Walllstedt?. Or Woll who gave up 2 goals in 2 games and 1 period in the playoffs against Boston.
Teams matter.

The only reason the Iowa Wild weren't the worst team in the AHL is because of Wallstedt.

Instead they were the 4th worst, because Wallstedt put up a .910, and went 22-19. His backup with a career .908 over 300 games put up a .880 and went 4-14.

All veteran help in Iowa was called up due to injuries. The Wilds best prospects are all over seas or CHL.

Wallstedts stats, for the situation are unreal

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You mean Hildeby had a .03 better SV% on a much better team despite being nearly a year and a half older?

Go find me one person of any repute that has Hildeby as anywhere near as good of a goaltender prospect.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Goalies are unpredictable. I think Wallstedt is more of a gamble while Knies is already more proven with still a lot of room to improve. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Wallstedt becomes just an average nhl goalie and Knies becomes a solid top6.

All that said I'd still take that gamble considering how rare elite goalies are. Top6 forwards and even first liners can be acquired with trades and free agency, but elite/franchise goalies are almost never available.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
You mean Hildeby had a .03 better SV% on a much better team despite being nearly a year and a half older?

Go find me one person of any repute that has Hildeby as anywhere near as good of a goaltender prospect.
Didn't say if he was better or not, just that he is better than average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad