Confirmed with Link: SKA Officially Terminates Matvei Michkov’s Contract - He’s Coming! upd: signs ELC on 7/1

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
I watched that press conference and I have to say I was really happy with it. This kid seems like a humble dedicated athlete. Really liked that he said his goals were to make the playoffs and help the team win not something personal. Nothing about this kid says prima donna, even though all the savior talk could easily go to someone's head and ego.

I just like the kid.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
I watched that press conference and I have to say I was really happy with it. This kid seems like a humble dedicated athlete. Really liked that he said his goals were to make the playoffs and help the team win not something personal. Nothing about this kid says prima donna, even though all the savior talk could easily go to someone's head and ego.

I just like the kid.

KHL is a vet dominant league. Michkov talks confidentally based off the clips/interviews. Probably rubs the vets there the wrong way...good news here is that the league is full of young talented players that are sprinkled in with the vets. They all just want to win and have fun.

Reactions: Boocowski

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Briere openly stated the other day that they are in the entertainment business, and that's true. Pro sports is just entertainment with a competitive component. It's a way to sell tickets, move merch, peddle beer and greasy food, sponsorships, advertising, gambling, broadcast rights, and all the peripheral elements that go with it.

If I look at the way they are going about building the team, I think they will end up much better than mediocre, but probably not a legitimate Cup contender.

And that is probably perfectly fine with the majority of fans. They find enjoyment and entertainment in individual games or the occasional playoff run, and go about their lives.
I think the ‘08 Red Wings are the last team without a top 2 pick on its roster to win the Cup. Draw your own conclusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyersnorth

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Do we know for sure that Michkov can throw a ball? This picture is the face of a man who isn't quite sure he can make it to home plate

They should have introduced him to public at a Union's game, I'm pretty sure he would have looked much more involved at a soccer game...

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
KHL is a vet dominant league. Michkov talks confidentally based off the clips/interviews. Probably rubs the vets there the wrong way...good news here is that the league is full of young talented players that are sprinkled in with the vets. They all just want to win and have fun.

Lol, like old boys club things don't happen in the NHL. I mean look at Minny, they got into the cap hell exactly because they had to buy out veterans who didn't get along very well with Kaprizov.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
They should have introduced him to public at a Union's game, I'm pretty sure he would have looked much more involved at a soccer game...
So the Union's 14 yr old tried it last night. Airmailed the Phanatic.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Given how much baseball is popular in Russia, Matvei's face expression is no wonder to me...

Have any of you guys ever even thrown a ball in your lives?? Or is he sitting there wondering why that puck is three dimensional and why they're handpassing it repeatedly to the heavily covered catcher when everyone else on his team is open?

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I don't think the Blues had a top two pick. Pietrangelo was likely the highest pick on that team at #4.
You're right. And Schenn was 5th overall. I think Eichel is the only top two pick acquired via trade. Most of the top two picks on Cup winners were centers or d-men. This "rebuild" is probably doomed already. The team is "too good" to tank for the next couple of seasons at least.

Have any of you guys ever even thrown a ball in your lives?? Or is he sitting there wondering why that puck is three dimensional and why they're handpassing it repeatedly to the heavily covered catcher when everyone else on his team is open?
Using Michkov as a prop, like the Flyers are, is embarrassing. I feel bad for the kid.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

The only thing an average Russian knows about baseball is baseball bats are great for smashing heads...

I'm not an average Russian btw. I even watched a couple of baseball games on TV. Still I probably know about baseball as much as I know about hunting lions, i.e. close to zero.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You're right. And Schenn was 5th overall. I think Eichel is the only top two pick acquired via trade. Most of the top two picks on Cup winners were centers or d-men. This "rebuild" is probably doomed already. The team is "too good" to tank for the next couple of seasons at least.

Using Michkov as a prop, like the Flyers are, is embarrassing. I feel bad for the kid.
The Flyers should be using him to promote the team. It’s the main complaint people have about the league is that there’s not enough promotion of players and their personalities.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
The Flyers should be using him to promote the team. It’s the main complaint people have about the league is that there’s not enough promotion of players and their personalities.
Did he look happy to be there? Not really. Also, what % of those fans at the game on Monday even knew who he is? 10% maybe, at most?

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
Did he look happy to be there? Not really. Also, what % of those fans at the game on Monday even knew who he is? 10% maybe, at most?
Gotta start somewhere. I’ll take that over people knowing nothing about the flyers. They have been insignificant for over a decade. Aside from the whole “they aren’t building an actual contender”, i am all for them trying get the team some attention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad