Confirmed with Link: SKA Officially Terminates Matvei Michkov’s Contract - He’s Coming! upd: signs ELC on 7/1

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
nah, with York in his 3rd year, Drysdale more comfy here. MM's offense, Farabee should have a comeback year, Frost ditto . So far they're playing hard for Torts, if that continues they're in the playoffs . D is gonna be solid led by Sanheim and goaltending is good . They lost half their starters on D(injuries/trade) with 30 games to go last season . Flyers will be better than last year.....bet the house :)
#buckle in...

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
ahhh, the perennial doubters :rolleyes:

barring injuries, MM, York, esp Drysdale, the Flyers are gonna surprise this year .

they'll make the playoffs ;)
And how is that good? Sure, tanking does not guarantee that you'll eventually reach the promised land but not tanking (for a few years) pretty much does guarantee that you will never reach the promised land. SJ, Chicago, Anaheim and Montreal are doing it the right way, IMO. Flyers? Not so much.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'll add this quote from Kevin Kurz's article in The Athletic to further reduce our hope in Michkov.

“To get him early at 19 years old to learn under a coach like Torts and the coaching staff that we have, it’s a great opportunity for him and for us,” Briere said. “The chance for him to learn under Torts — we all know that he’s gifted offensively. Very, very talented. But he’s going to have the chance to learn under Torts to play the other side of the ice, as well. That gets me excited, that he’s going to get that phase early on. I think it’s just going to make him better for the rest of his career.”

And in case you weren't aware of this franchise's priorities:

Chairman Dan Hilferty, in a statement provided to The Athletic, provided context.

“We have seen one of the most significant impacts on our team as a whole in recent years,” Hilferty said. “Combined with the clear direction of our future and the additions from the draft, free agency and Michkov coming over, the business portion of our organization has taken off. Our season ticket sales have increased (by) over 75 percent in just a few weeks compared to this time last year. In addition, we’ve seen the largest spike in offseason retail sales over the last five years, and it keeps growing.”

To answer expected questions, sure, any franchise getting their hands on a projected superstar wants to capitalize financially, but my suspicion is that the financial boon will be a nice milky coating over the next years of on-ice mediocrity and will make it all okay for Comcast's benign neglect.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
ahhh, the perennial doubters :rolleyes:

barring injuries, MM, York, esp Drysdale, the Flyers are gonna surprise this year .

they'll make the playoffs ;)
There's absolutely 0% chance this team makes the playoffs

I'll add this quote from Kevin Kurz's article in The Athletic to further reduce our hope in Michkov.

To answer expected questions, sure, any franchise getting their hands on a projected superstar wants to capitalize financially, but my suspicion is that the financial boon will be a nice milky coating over the next years of on-ice mediocrity and will make it all okay for Comcast's benign neglect.
What's worse, political propaganda or Comcast propaganda?

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Briere openly stated the other day that they are in the entertainment business, and that's true. Pro sports is just entertainment with a competitive component. It's a way to sell tickets, move merch, peddle beer and greasy food, sponsorships, advertising, gambling, broadcast rights, and all the peripheral elements that go with it.

If I look at the way they are going about building the team, I think they will end up much better than mediocre, but probably not a legitimate Cup contender.

And that is probably perfectly fine with the majority of fans. They find enjoyment and entertainment in individual games or the occasional playoff run, and go about their lives.

Reactions: TCTC

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Briere openly stated the other day that they are in the entertainment business, and that's true. Pro sports is just entertainment with a competitive component. It's a way to sell tickets, move merch, peddle beer and greasy food, sponsorships, advertising, gambling, broadcast rights, and all the peripheral elements that go with it.

If I look at the way they are going about building the team, I think they will end up much better than mediocre, but probably not a legitimate Cup contender.

And that is probably perfectly fine with the majority of fans. They find enjoyment and entertainment in individual games or the occasional playoff run, and go about their lives.
I can't disagree with you, fn. Fools like us are hyperfocused on long-term success as well as the enjoyment (??) of the personnel moves. We can easily see where the latter not just misaligns between casual and rabid fans but runs in conflict. The inherent illogic is that Comcast needs both elements to maximize their profits. Most casual fans won't be shelling out for season tickets, merchandise, or other big $$ items

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Imagine Frost and Buium springing this guy for breakaways.

Then draft an elite 1C this year and maybe even the following year if you get really lucky.

The rebuild would legit be over and we would have cup contender.

I like Jett, but it makes such little sense to pass on him.

Could have had Cutter, Michkov, Buium, 1C in 2025. That’s pretty damn good!

Reactions: BernieParent

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Jamey just came
V1oVcSjLoX8.jpg

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Do we know for sure that Michkov can throw a ball? This picture is the face of a man who isn't quite sure he can make it to home plate

• Haha
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad