Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Same former hockey player who got turfed by Rick Tocchet and wasn’t allowed to get his 700th NHL game until Edmonton did him a favor 18 months later.

Same player who most here thought was mailing it in for two years and not giving a shit.
What's your point?

I guess, like the rest of the officials, point fingers at the other. AM may have been told by his lawyer that he had all his i's dotted and t's crossed. We don't know what was told, and who needed what and who's responsibility it was to do what. This is just typical mixed up Arizona politics.
I asked what you would do.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Over the years we have seen plenty of questionable moves and statements by COG, COP, COS and State Officials. COT were the only group that I thought were intelligent and did things on the up and up. The end result was not what most wanted, but the COT looked and sounded intelligent, and had all their ducks in a row. It's not only the Coyote's I'm talking about either.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It was mentioned many time they were having difficulty getting an appointment with the COP shit head mayor Gallego but did finally secure a meeting. Not sure about the Governor, another brain dead politician, but wouldn't you think something as important as this a politician could somehow, some way, rearrange their schedule for a hour long meeting. If our politicians think a certain thing is over their head, at least direct that person or organization in the right direction. All we heard from Gallego is that she doesn't believe in tax abatements for a sports facility or something along those lines.
Yes, I would think a politician could make some time for a meeting..... public service and all. I also think that AM's stance that "he's the only one who can get this done" and his "rodeo drive" rhetoric rubs folks the wrong way, particularly when that is a continuation of his arrogance and unwillingness to get along.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
And how do you know AM left a thread hanging? I guess you were in the room with your bestie GTB.;):nod:
Good Lord Jakey, do you need everything spelled out for you? He didn't secure the required zoning, THAT is the thread.

Over the years we have seen plenty of questionable moves and statements by COG, COP, COS and State Officials. COT were the only group that I thought were intelligent and did things on the up and up. The end result was not what most wanted, but the COT looked and sounded intelligent, and had all their ducks in a row. It's not only the Coyote's I'm talking about either.
So Tempe voters were smart enough to vote in elected officials that you deem to have had their act together regarding all this, but those same voters were too stupid to listen to what the leaders they elected thought?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What's your point?

I asked what you would do.
Of course we ALL would do our best and I'm sure AM did his best. Who's to blame? Well, there is plenty of blame to go around, but the end result we don't have a NHL team or an arena and probably won't have either for years and years.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Of course we ALL would do our best and I'm sure AM did his best. Who's to blame? Well, there is plenty of blame to go around, but the end result we don't have a NHL team or an arena and probably won't have either for years and years.
I didn't ask who was to blame. What I asked was "Wouldn't you make sure all your i's were dotted, t's crossed and that any questionable permits were secured prior to spending the kind of money this will take? Or would you just wing it and hope that you could build the arena, after the purchase?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yes, I would think a politician could make some time for a meeting..... public service and all. I also think that AM's stance that "he's the only one who can get this done" and his "rodeo drive" rhetoric rubs folks the wrong way, particularly when that is a continuation of his arrogance and unwillingness to get along.
I agree that statement about "he's the only one who can get this done" sounded dumb, but maybe he is correct. He knows who, if anyone, is looking around to maybe jump in if he fails. I don't see how one's personality should have anything to do with a business deal. All of us at one time or another have dealt with such a person.

I didn't ask who was to blame. What I asked was "Wouldn't you make sure all your i's were dotted, t's crossed and that any questionable permits were secured prior to spending the kind of money this will take? Or would you just wing it and hope that you could build the arena, after the purchase?
I did answer.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Good Lord Jakey, do you need everything spelled out for you? He didn't secure the required zoning, THAT is the thread.

So Tempe voters were smart enough to vote in elected officials that you deem to have had their act together regarding all this, but those same voters were too stupid to listen to what the leaders they elected thought?
Maybe he was told it was zoned for an arena. All you are doin is assuming AM is an idiot. AM has lawyers doing all this for him. If your lawyer tells you one thing, do you do the opposite? COT did it right, was upfront, and like I said, the outcome wasn't what most of us wanted.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just caught a tweet from Tony Cani and he says COP did have letter about zoning included in the original infrastructure guidelines package from COP posted with the auction.

Unfortunately it may no longer be on the site but I might have a copy of it on my PC.

So this blows up any idea it was something COP decided on at the last minute. Meruelo had to have known about this for months.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I agree that statement about "he's the only one who can get this done" sounded dumb, but maybe he is correct. He knows who, if anyone, is looking around to maybe jump in if he fails. I don't see how one's personality should have anything to do with a business deal. All of us at one time or another have dealt with such a person.

I did answer.
The only answer you provided was to your own question of "who's to blame?"

It's not his personality, it's his business acumen. I don't think it's too smart to be boastful, arrogant, and seemingly unwilling to get along when he's done nothing but screw everything up, with the exception of his initial hockey ops hire.

What’s yours? Other than pulling a “llama”.
Just posting something I found, kinda like you're so fond of doing. I do apologize if that threatened you and I don't plan to make a regular habit of it.
I do question why you felt the need to bash JD for having an opinion though.

Just caught a tweet from Tony Cani and he says COP did have letter about zoning included in the original infrastructure guidelines package from COP posted with the auction.

Unfortunately it may no longer be on the site but I might have a copy of it on my PC.

So this blows up any idea it was something COP decided on at the last minute. Meruelo had to have known about this for months.
SHOCKING

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Maybe he was told it was zoned for an arena. All you are doin is assuming AM is an idiot. AM has lawyers doing all this for him. If your lawyer tells you one thing, do you do the opposite? COT did it right, was upfront, and like I said, the outcome wasn't what most of us wanted.
Lawyers are lying, jerk water assholes that can't be trusted. I always second guess any lawyer I work with, stay on top of what they are doing and normally find something screwed up, overlooked etc.

I don't need to assume AM's an idiot, the proof is in his lack of performance.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Yep… shocking. Just looked. It’s still there and this is the pertinent section.

View attachment 886067
So what exactly is Nick Wood doing? Was he really hired? This makes it look like they either don't have a Zoning Attorney or they aren't listening to him.

Starting to believe the CoP's comments again about Meruelo not having one.

Last edited:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Jason Demers can be a shitty NHL player but still have valid insight about Meruelo. I don't know why one would negate the other.

Motivation.
So what exactly is Nick Wood doing? Was he really hired? This makes it look like they either don't have a Zoning Attorney or they aren't listening to him.

Starting to believe the CoP's comments again about Meruelo not having one.

Well if Nick Wood was referring to not needing to rezone for the arena he wouldn’t be wrong if COP was asking for a SUP.

But someone I know who used to work for COP in that realm saw some other things in the zoning section I posted above that could have been even worse. Mainly the housing. Current zoning doesn’t provide enough density to allow for the number of housing units Meruelo wants to put in.

• Haha

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Y’all are saying a lot of words.. AM shot himself in the foot with the statement. Nothing else matters going forward, that land isn’t seeing the auction floor in the future.

Are you here reading all those words for any other reason then you're a bit curious to find out more too? Why else would you still be here?

I also think that their statement may be the death nell. Hastily claiming they've met all legal requirements and then threatening legal action is just an example of Meruelo using a strong-arm tactic to try and force his will. It's also another example of why he seems so universally disliked.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I wonder if AM sees himself as the victim, poor, mistreated, and misunderstood billionaire.
Everyone else, they see him as the burglars in Home Alone. Politicians arent dumb enough to want to help people like that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It would be interesting to know what kind of language was contained in that letter. IF it contains specifics then this could be all on AM and his lawyers.

• Haha

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Lawyers are lying, jerk water assholes that can't be trusted. I always second guess any lawyer I work with, stay on top of what they are doing and normally find something screwed up, overlooked etc.

I don't need to assume AM's an idiot, the proof is in his lack of performance.
I hate lawyers more than you know, but unfortunately we have to trust the one you hire for various reasons. IF you second guess your lawyer why hire a lawyer in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad