GDT: Preseason Game 4: Devils @ Islanders - 7 P.M. - MSGSN, MSG

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Meh, it's pre-season. If they start the season 0-3 with 2 losses to Ruff and 1 to Toronto at the home opener and then I'll get the fire Fitz bandwagon warmed up for everyone.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
0-4

fail-like-this-epic-fail.gif

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Couldn't watch the game but oh boy the doom and gloom already set in on the forum for those that always tend to be in that mindset.

I'm still chalking this up to preseason.

Realistically, I don't expect a team in preseason to be trying to claw back and come back from a 3-4 goal deficit. No matter the platitudes about playing the right way.

"Let's be reality " - No core player in their right mind is going to risk going all out physically in a preseason effort to claw back such a hill in an otherwise meaningless outcome for exhibition.

Maybe the guys looking for jobs, sure, but not the core.

The concerns maybe about Nemec are potentially real. He also was injured recently. Haula was half dead just a week ago. So I don't wanna hear about the 3rd line. Noesen is new again. Bastian could be replaced but we already knew that from last season. Nothing has changed there. He is the easiest target, but at the same time would it really be worth it?

Last edited:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
First two goals were on the defense. After that I shut the game off and did some reading. They looked awful. It’s only preseason, but if they continue to play this way, it’s going to be a long season.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'm not worried about these preseason games af all. But what does make me a bit concerned is this opening to the season. I get it, going to playing overseas is really cool and a great experience but man, it also feels so inconvenient.

For a team that has struggled in preseason so far, has injuries to key players, a new coach, and high expectations, not having the full run of preseason to prep plus having an awkward schedule to start the year sounds like a recipe for a slow start.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm not worried about these preseason games af all. But what does make me a bit concerned is this opening to the season. I get it, going to playing overseas is really cool and a great experience but man, it also feels so inconvenient.

For a team that has struggled in preseason so far, has injuries to key players, a new coach, and high expectations, not having the full run of preseason to prep plus having an awkward schedule to start the year sounds like a recipe for a slow start.

I’m kind of getting flashbacks to the 07-08 season when Sutter was in his first year and we had to start with a lengthy road trip as they finished building the Rock. I think we started that season out slow but picked up with a lengthy win streak in mid-November.

I could easily see something similar taking place here.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Isles should've scored in the first 13 seconds after a couple passes they had a huge scoring chance. Very sloppy game, they don't look ready at all.

sucks that we have so few preseason games, this team could use one or two more with a NHL ready lineup

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Couldn't watch the game but oh boy the doom and gloom already set in on the forum for those that always tend to be in that mindset.

I'm still chalking this up to preseason.

Realistically, I don't expect a team in preseason to be trying to claw back and come back from a 3-4 goal deficit. No matter the platitudes about playing the right way.

"Let's be reality " - No core player in their right mind is going to risk going all out physically in a preseason effort to claw back such a hill in an otherwise meaningless outcome for exhibition.

Maybe the guys looking for jobs, sure, but not the core.

The concerns maybe about Nemec are potentially real. He also was injured recently. Haula was half dead just a week ago. So I don't wanna hear about the 3rd line. Noesen is new again. Bastian could be replaced but we already knew that from last season. Nothing has changed there. He is the easiest target, but at the same time would it really be worth it?
Sums up how I feel. Nemec I’m not worried about, 2nd year player, in his second game since being injured, he’ll get back up to speed. Maybe a bit of a sophomore slump to start? But he’s a smart player and very good player, he’ll be fine moving forward eventually.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
no i don't know.

is it an expression similar to "don't take your game to europe before you've found your groove"
A breezy rehearsal leads to complacency.

Plus, the Devils aren’t gonna unlearn 4 years of Lazy Ruff habits in one training camp. I’d much prefer the team enters the season knowing they still have a ton of work to do.

Sums up how I feel. Nemec I’m not worried about, 2nd year player, in his second game since being injured, he’ll get back up to speed. Maybe a bit of a sophomore slump to start? But he’s a smart player and very good player, he’ll be fine moving forward eventually.
and there’s a little more defensive depth to potentially keep him sheltered, hopefully that keeps the sophomore slump at bay a bit

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sure, I agree with you, but you’d be saying that even if our goalies had put up four 50-save shutouts rather than four turds. :laugh:
Definitely

4 preseason 50 save shutouts would not make up for the rest of his tenure.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Not using last night, or this preseason at all, as a factor at all. 2 years of Palat and Haula is enough to have a good idea of what to expect.

They haven't actually played that much together at all. Only ~150 minutes in both of the years. I feel like we all think it's been a lot more for them. They were good in both years together.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I really don’t understand what people think we can take away from the preseason. They went undefeated last year. There is no correlation at all between preseason and regular season results.

And the team might start off the season slow given the circumstances. Oh well if that happens. I’m not worried about this season.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm concerned by how inept the offense was.

The PK was also a tire fire.

Allen was abysmal. His game last night would have been on par with some of our worst goaltended games of last year.

Markstrom was okay. I don't remember him looking that bad in the Capitals game where he allowed 4 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad