Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
not absorbing a failed ownerships debt/problems will go a long way to attracting ownership
All these possible names could have done this at any point over the last ~15 years and absorbed less debt, less baggage, and not have to pay a 1 billion dollar expansion fee. These theorhetical competent groups could have landed a real deal with ASU, Tempe, Scottsdale, Phoenix, or hell even the Tribes. Even with all the baggage the opportunity was there for lesser owners like IE and AM at least twice.
Someone real coulda gotten the original plan of a joint multi purpose arena with ASU done. Or TED, or Desert Ridge. All for less than the 1 billion expansion fee + development of arena which this will now cost IN a damaged market. Against the opportunity cost of a clean slate in Houston or the like.

They didn't do it because they don't exist as of right now. Maybe they will someday.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
No white knight is spending 1.5+ billion for an expansion team, even more for a new arena, with zero partnership or tax abatements from the city or state. STFU about Ishbia.

The Kachina died tonight. And it’s f**king disgusting.

And idiots are all Twitter celebrating like the team is back tomorrow. Out of the frying pan and into the grave, all while convincing yourselves this situation is better. Pathetic.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Out of the frying pan and into the grave, all while convincing yourselves this situation is better. Pathetic.

The only thing I sort of disagree with is I don't think this makes one bit of difference really.
AM wasn't gonna hit his benchmarks, that much was confirmed when the auction was canceled. So he was gonna lose these rights one way or the other. Even if someone else immediately swooped in and started the process right now, we're looking at 7 years minimum, more probably. Which at least from what I've gathered isn't any different really whether AM stayed around and pretended for another couple years or not.

Reactions: Jagged Ice

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
The NHL probably won't (probably shouldn't either) be back in AZ for well over a decade. It's going to take time for the bitterness and hatred built up over 25 years to dissipate enough for it to have any chance. IMO.

And burn the Coyote brand and bury the ashes under a tree. It's toxic, forever ruined.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Somehow I must have missed the memo. How does Tucson staying in Tucson mean Meruelo walks away from the Coyotes?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
What happened to being hyped about still having the logo? :laugh:

On am ore serious note I know some people are putting stock into what Narin has to say about another group potentially out there but.......I'm not buying it. How many times have we heard that line over the years only to end up with the Ice Edge's of the world, or other various pretenders that don't actually have the money to get it done right? The answer is a lot.

There's literally no reason for the NHL to prefer this market as an expansion over untested markets like Houston and the like, or giving Atlanta an actual shot again. They'll let it cool off for a decade at least.

There are too many hurdles for this to be done semi-quickly like the original 5 year time table.
This is why I believe this was all part of Meruelo's plan. He was able to sell for relocation to maximize his profit by saying he still wanted the team and wouldn't sell to a buyer that wanted to keep the team here. IF there was really a local buyer, his ROI would have been what, half? That was what he didn't want. The whole grift was designed to line his pockets. He doesn't give a damn about the team, our state or us at all. f*** him. Hopefully he gets the hell out of our state for good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad