Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Personally, I’d be happy with Eiserman at 14. Yeah, Yeah..Theyre highlights and highlights don’t tell the whole story. I get that. I would gladly take the risk on a kid heading to BU who will get the coaching and guidance to grow his game. Point blank, period, dude is deadly. We need to score goals and drafting Eiserman is a key ingredient in that recipe.

There is zero doubt Grier & Co. have done or will do their due diligence regarding all the potential prospects, including Eiserman. Grier emphasizes character and if Eiserman comes out as (even a bit of) a head case, they'll steer away.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Just finished a mock draft with some other posters that went through the 5th round and here is my draft class:

1-1 C Macklin Celebrini
1-14 RD Carter Yakemchuk
2-33 RD Charlie Elick
2-42 RD Dominik Badinka
3-85 LD Lukas Fischer
4-116 LW Kieron Walton
5-131 RD Tory Pitner
5-143 G Marcus Gidlof

I’m not gonna lie, I’d be pretty thrilled if we came away with this group IRL. A few notes on some of the picks:

14: The BPA here was technically probably Beckett Sennecke, but I don’t think I could pass on one of the top six D even if Sennecke is there.
33: I really debated between Elick and Badinka—even though I like Badinka more honestly, I gambled that he was more likely to be available at 42 and so went with Elick at 33. In retrospect, I was so locked on defense that I missed Jett Luchenko being available, who was easily the BPA and I should have taken him.
42: I was pretty thrilled that Badinka was still there. If D weren’t such a need, I would have seriously considered Sam O’Reilly, whom I like a lot.
85: Thought about taking a goaltender here, but George and Nabokov were off the board already and I didn’t see another goalie that excited me there. I think Fischer is an interesting gamble and underrated for sure.
116: I heavily considered G Yegorov and LD Whipple, but in the end Walton was too much to pass up. I have liked him in viewings of Sudbury and he seems like a good mid-round upside shot.
131: Pitner was just BPA for me here and also fit an organizational need.
143: Partly a meme pick, but also probably the best goalie available at this point and I didn’t want to finish the mock without one.

Let me know what y’all think! Like I said, I’d be pretty thrilled if this is how things fell for the Sharks, especially if I had taken Luchenko over Elick. Lots of D, lots of size, a good mix of upside and high floors, and a legit goaltender.
Fine with everything except Yakemchuk. He's Jeff Jillson x Dion Paneuf. I also think people vastly over estimate the D men in this draft. Dickinson is a 2nd pairing d-man as is Solberg. Silayev is intriguing but has warts as does Levshunov. Parekh is an offensive juggernaut but has question marks on D.

You just cannot pass up on someone like Sennecke if he makes it to 14. Of course I think the odds are extremely low he gets to 14, but Yakemchuk is a massive project that has huge bust potential. Much rather take swings on guys like Elick and Badinka et al than waste the 14 pick on Yakemchuk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grinner

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Fine with everything except Yakemchuk. He's Jeff Jillson x Dion Paneuf. I also think people vastly over estimate the D men in this draft. Dickinson is a 2nd pairing d-man as is Solberg. Silayev is intriguing but has warts as does Levshunov. Parekh is an offensive juggernaut but has question marks on D.

You just cannot pass up on someone like Sennecke if he makes it to 14. Of course I think the odds are extremely low he gets to 14, but Yakemchuk is a massive project that has huge bust potential. Much rather take swings on guys like Elick and Badinka et al than waste the 14 pick on Yakemchuk.
I'd rather go Sennecke and then use 33 + 42 (or whatever) to move up and get Emery.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I understand your hesitation on Yakemchuk and I agree that gun to my head, I’d have to take Sennecke over him. But I do think that Yakemchuk can figure it out and with the proper team around him could flourish. I think he’s very comparable to Evan Bouchard, who less than a year ago half of Oilers fans wanted to punt into the sun.

With that said, I have a suspicion that Grier and co. might actually take Solberg over Yakemchuk if both were available…

The more mocks I look at, the more I’m starting to get excited by the idea of Zayne Parekh falling to us (or falling into a spot where we could trade up to get him with just #42). I’m looking at landing spots for him and I feel like if he makes it past the 6-9 area then he’s ours.

Chicago: too early
Anaheim: not reported to be among the eight candidates being considered at #3, plus they have Mintyukov
Columbus: they have Jiricek, Werenski, and Mateychuk already
Montreal: they have Hutson and want a forward
Utah: they could take Parekh, they have size and defensive LHD, but there’s noise they like Sennecke
Ottawa: they could take Parekh, they have lots of LHD and no true PPQB, but there’s noise they like Sennecke/Iginla
Seattle: they could take Parekh but I think they’d prefer Dickinson or Buium if available
Calgary: locked in Iginla? Kidding, they could take Parekh
NJ: already have Hamilton/Hughes/Nemec
Buffalo: already have Dahlin/Power/Byram
Philly: doesn’t seem like a Big Bad Flyers pick
Minnesota: allergic to offensive D

If Parekh can squeak by Utah and Ottawa (hopefully they want Buium, Silayev, Yakemchuk, or Dickinson), I think there’s a non-zero chance he’s ours.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I understand your hesitation on Yakemchuk and I agree that gun to my head, I’d have to take Sennecke over him. But I do think that Yakemchuk can figure it out and with the proper team around him could flourish. I think he’s very comparable to Evan Bouchard, who less than a year ago half of Oilers fans wanted to punt into the sun.

With that said, I have a suspicion that Grier and co. might actually take Solberg over Yakemchuk if both were available…

The more mocks I look at, the more I’m starting to get excited by the idea of Zayne Parekh falling to us (or falling into a spot where we could trade up to get him with just #42). I’m looking at landing spots for him and I feel like if he makes it past the 6-9 area then he’s ours.

Anaheim: not reported to be among the eight candidates being considered at #3, plus they have Mintyukov
Utah: they could take Parekh, they have size and defensive LHD, but there’s noise they like Sennecke
Ottawa: they could take Parekh, they have lots of LHD and no true PPQB, but there’s noise they like Sennecke/Iginla
Seattle: they could take Parekh but I think they’d prefer Dickinson or Buium if available

If Parekh can squeak by Utah and Ottawa (hopefully they want Buium, Silayev, Yakemchuk, or Dickinson), I think there’s a non-zero chance he’s ours.

Zero chance Zayne falls to us.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Zero chance Zayne falls to us.
If a D falls it's him or Yakemchuk. There's a decent chance though. Only 13 players can go before us. I'd say the locks are:
Celebrini, Levshunov, Demidov, Dickinson, Lindstrom, Iginla, Silayev, Buium

Obviously that's 8 so as long as any of these 5 get taken, it's a real possibility:
Sennecke, Catton, Helenius, Yakemchuk, Eiserman, Brandsegg-Nygard, Solberg

I think Parekh and Buium are the two people will expect to go ~5ish spots higher compared to where they end up.

Reactions: OversKy

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If a D falls it's him or Yakemchuk. There's a decent chance though. Only 13 players can go before us. I'd say the locks are:
Celebrini, Levshunov, Demidov, Dickinson, Lindstrom, Iginla, Silayev, Buium

Obviously that's 8 so as long as any of these 5 get taken, it's a real possibility:
Sennecke, Catton, Helenius, Yakemchuk, Eiserman, Brandsegg-Nygard, Solberg

I think Parekh and Buium are the two people will expect to go ~5ish spots higher compared to where they end up.
I wouldn't be surprised if Buium and Parekh are #2 and 3 D-men to go.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I wouldn't be surprised if Buium and Parekh are #2 and 3 D-men to go.
I would be. While I love both of those players, neither is the “big mean defensive menace” that teams like to fetishize after watching NHL playoff hockey.

Not that I think it’s likely (my prediction is six D go in the top-10) but IMO Parekh and Yakemchuk are the only two top tier D with any chance at all to fall to 14. Parekh is slight and physically very immature (he’s a little taller than Buium but Buium is already solidly built) and Yakemchuk seems to have an off-putting personality, which are two stupid but very real reasons that prospects fall. Both guys are not fantastic defensively, compounding the issue.

Like I’ve said, both players are guys who will need strong systems and teams around them to really blossom. While I’ve compared Parekh to Karlsson stylistically, I think he’s actually the opposite of Karlsson in that Parekh will shine when playing with guys on his intellectual wavelength (Celebrini, Smith, and Eklund are all very high hockey IQ players) who can also handle the puck well (same trio shines there). Karlsson was actually best when playing with a bunch of losers, ironically. Parekh isn’t going to dangle five guys or dance around the ice, he’s going to be an elite facilitator who makes the little connective plays to open up space for his teammates to drop into and then feed them the perfect pass for a scoring chance. I really think the org Grier is building would fit Parekh very well, especially if he’s able to fill the rest of the D out with guys who are sound defensively and have some size and shutdown ability. We desperately need a player like that.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

Hell, I wouldn't be that surprised if a team like Minnesota shocks everyone and picks Solberg over one of the consensus top six d-men.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Hell, I wouldn't be that surprised if a team like Minnesota shocks everyone and picks Solberg over one of the consensus top six d-men.
Solberg is a real wild card, his profile is interesting as hell. But I have a real hard time seeing anyone take him higher than us. He just doesn’t have top pairing talent, and the rest do even if some are riskier than others.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Of the teams ahead of us at 14 to go off the public draft board consensus I would expect it to be Arizona/Utah. Last year they went with the Simashev and But way before anyone expected. This year I would not be surprised if they shocked everyone and went with Solberg or MBN at their pick.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Solberg is a real wild card, his profile is interesting as hell. But I have a real hard time seeing anyone take him higher than us. He just doesn’t have top pairing talent, and the rest do even if some are riskier than others.
I just can't get excited about a guy where all his highlights are about him checking other players. There's a lot more to playing defense than just hitting people. I want somebody who can at least skate the puck up the ice aggressively and if we can't get that, I'd rather get a forward with some skill and draft defense with the later picks.

Reactions: vortexy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad