Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Just finished a mock draft with some other posters that went through the 5th round and here is my draft class:

1-1 C Macklin Celebrini
1-14 RD Carter Yakemchuk
2-33 RD Charlie Elick
2-42 RD Dominik Badinka
3-85 LD Lukas Fischer
4-116 LW Kieron Walton
5-131 RD Tory Pitner
5-143 G Marcus Gidlof

I’m not gonna lie, I’d be pretty thrilled if we came away with this group IRL. A few notes on some of the picks:

14: The BPA here was technically probably Beckett Sennecke, but I don’t think I could pass on one of the top six D even if Sennecke is there.
33: I really debated between Elick and Badinka—even though I like Badinka more honestly, I gambled that he was more likely to be available at 42 and so went with Elick at 33. In retrospect, I was so locked on defense that I missed Jett Luchenko being available, who was easily the BPA and I should have taken him.
42: I was pretty thrilled that Badinka was still there. If D weren’t such a need, I would have seriously considered Sam O’Reilly, whom I like a lot.
85: Thought about taking a goaltender here, but George and Nabokov were off the board already and I didn’t see another goalie that excited me there. I think Fischer is an interesting gamble and underrated for sure.
116: I heavily considered G Yegorov and LD Whipple, but in the end Walton was too much to pass up. I have liked him in viewings of Sudbury and he seems like a good mid-round upside shot.
131: Pitner was just BPA for me here and also fit an organizational need.
143: Partly a meme pick, but also probably the best goalie available at this point and I didn’t want to finish the mock without one.

Let me know what y’all think! Like I said, I’d be pretty thrilled if this is how things fell for the Sharks, especially if I had taken Luchenko over Elick. Lots of D, lots of size, a good mix of upside and high floors, and a legit goaltender.
This would be the best case scenario for the Sharks, if we look at the positional need.

You get 3x right handed defencemen with all the opportunity in the world. Realistically they will be more of the future 2RD/3RD, but there could be a chance that if our 1D is LD in the future, one of them can be that complimentary 1RD if everything goes well. Or Yakemchuk takes the 1RD spot and runs with it. Elick could be a lot of fun with a more offensive LD partner.

I'm a big fan of balance, so that's why I want as many RD (within their ranking) from this draft as possible. Just to have the balance in the prospect pool and a chance to boost the RD competition for them to take the spot if they grow to their potential.

Reactions: vortexy

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
The more I read about this I feel more confident we could snatch Dickinson somehow with a trade involving our #14 pick. He could be just what Sharks need to win important games in the future. At his best I could see all situation defencemen that will wear "A" and be just outside Norris conversation because of points total.
I think the likelihood of them getting Dickinson is really low. Teams tend to like big defensemen, so I bet Buium and Dickinson both go top-8 (with Levshunov/Silayev both going top-4). I think Seattle takes Dickinson at 8 unless Buium somehow makes it there. Yakemchuk may fall a bit because he is more project-y.
Just finished a mock draft with some other posters that went through the 5th round and here is my draft class:

1-1 C Macklin Celebrini
1-14 RD Carter Yakemchuk
2-33 RD Charlie Elick
2-42 RD Dominik Badinka
3-85 LD Lukas Fischer
4-116 LW Kieron Walton
5-131 RD Tory Pitner
5-143 G Marcus Gidlof

I’m not gonna lie, I’d be pretty thrilled if we came away with this group IRL. A few notes on some of the picks:

14: The BPA here was technically probably Beckett Sennecke, but I don’t think I could pass on one of the top six D even if Sennecke is there.
33: I really debated between Elick and Badinka—even though I like Badinka more honestly, I gambled that he was more likely to be available at 42 and so went with Elick at 33. In retrospect, I was so locked on defense that I missed Jett Luchenko being available, who was easily the BPA and I should have taken him.
42: I was pretty thrilled that Badinka was still there. If D weren’t such a need, I would have seriously considered Sam O’Reilly, whom I like a lot.
85: Thought about taking a goaltender here, but George and Nabokov were off the board already and I didn’t see another goalie that excited me there. I think Fischer is an interesting gamble and underrated for sure.
116: I heavily considered G Yegorov and LD Whipple, but in the end Walton was too much to pass up. I have liked him in viewings of Sudbury and he seems like a good mid-round upside shot.
131: Pitner was just BPA for me here and also fit an organizational need.
143: Partly a meme pick, but also probably the best goalie available at this point and I didn’t want to finish the mock without one.

Let me know what y’all think! Like I said, I’d be pretty thrilled if this is how things fell for the Sharks, especially if I had taken Luchenko over Elick. Lots of D, lots of size, a good mix of upside and high floors, and a legit goaltender.
Um, yes please

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I think the likelihood of them getting Dickinson is really low. Teams tend to like big defensemen, so I bet Buium and Dickinson both go top-8 (with Levshunov/Silayev both going top-4). I think Seattle takes Dickinson at 8 unless Buium somehow makes it there. Yakemchuk may fall a bit because he is more project-y.

Um, yes please
Yep, you are probably right that it's not likely to get Dickinson without trading up high. Defencemen evaluation from the team perspective is usually high in the draft. Though there is a chance that there is handful of teams satisfied with their defensive prospect pool in that top 10, so that could give us a chance to try to trade up if they go for forwards that have risen. We shall see, I think this one of those years where the order will surprise a lot of fans.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This would be the best case scenario for the Sharks, if we look at the positional need.

You get 3x right handed defencemen with all the opportunity in the world. Realistically they will be more of the future 2RD/3RD, but there could be a chance that if our 1D is LD in the future, one of them can be that complimentary 1RD if everything goes well. Or Yakemchuk takes the 1RD spot and runs with it. Elick could be a lot of fun with a more offensive LD partner.

I'm a big fan of balance, so that's why I want as many RD (within their ranking) from this draft as possible. Just to have the balance in the prospect pool and a chance to boost the RD competition for them to take the spot if they grow to their potential.
Yeah, the appeal of grabbing one of Emery/Elick/Badinka/Danford at 33 is that they are good skating D with size and defensive acumen that I feel would partner well with Mukhamadullin. In this case, my U25 depth chart would look something like:

LW:
William Eklund
Quentin Musty
Thomas Bordeleau
Kieron Walton

C:
Macklin Celebrini
Will Smith
Filip Bystedt
David Edstrom

RW:
Fabian Zetterlund
Kasper Halttunen
Danill Gushchin
Colin Graf

LD:
Shakir Mukhamadullin
Henry Thrun
Luca Cagnoni
Lukas Fischer

RD:
Carter Yakemchuk
Dominik Badinka
Charlie Elick
Jack Thompson
Tory Pitner
Erik Pohlkamp

G:
Marcus Gidlof
Magnus Chrona

That group is still missing a top line RW and a good defensive LD. My fantasy is that Vegas collapses next season and gives us a top-10 pick, leading to a roster like:

William Eklund-Macklin Celebrini-Porter Martone
Quentin Musty-Will Smith-Fabian Zetterlund
Thomas Bordeleau-Filip Bystedt-Kasper Halttunen
Kieron Walton-David Edstrom-Luke Kunin :sarcasm:

Matthew Schaefer-Carter Yakemchuk
Shakir Mukhamadullin-Dominik Badinka
Luca Cagnoni-Charlie Elick

With guys like Gushchin, Lund, Havelid, Graf, Pitner, Fischer, and Thrun there as depth.

Yeah, I can dream.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Yep, you are probably right that it's not likely to get Dickinson without trading up high. Defencemen evaluation from the team perspective is usually high in the draft. Though there is a chance that there is handful of teams satisfied with their defensive prospect pool in that top 10, so that could give us a chance to try to trade up if they go for forwards that have risen. We shall see, I think this one of those years where the order will surprise a lot of fans.
Fear the fin did a good write-up earlier this week on trade-up possibilities.

Picks 2-5 are out of the question obviously. Pick 6 is unlikely given that Utah already has so many picks + it's their first draft as a franchise in Utah and most importantly, they will likely have one of two things available to them at that spot that they really need in either a big winger (Sennecke) or another defenseman to add to Simashev (Buium, Dickinson, Parekh). Pick #7 is possible I guess, but again, Ottawa is likely looking to add another defenseman to complement Sanderson and Dickinson/Buium is likely going to be there. Seattle is also another good fit for a defenseman after picking Beniers and Wright to kickstart the rebuild, so they will likely take Dickinson/Buium/Parekh there.

Picks 9 and 10 is where they thought there is trade-up potential using a #33 or #42 + sweeteners, particularly if Calgary didn't feel like taking Igilna. The question is though whether it's worth trading up to #10 for Yakemchuk or a forward if Buium/Parekh/Dickinson go in some order 6-8 (or 9 I guess).

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Fear the fin did a good write-up earlier this week on trade-up possibilities.

Picks 2-5 are out of the question obviously. Pick 6 is unlikely given that Utah already has so many picks + it's their first draft as a franchise in Utah and most importantly, they will likely have one of two things available to them at that spot that they really need in either a big winger (Sennecke) or another defenseman to add to Simashev (Buium, Dickinson, Parekh). Pick #7 is possible I guess, but again, Ottawa is likely looking to add another defenseman to complement Sanderson and Dickinson/Buium is likely going to be there. Seattle is also another good fit for a defenseman after picking Beniers and Wright to kickstart the rebuild, so they will likely take Dickinson/Buium/Parekh there.

Picks 9 and 10 is where they thought there is trade-up potential using a #33 or #42 + sweeteners, particularly if Calgary didn't feel like taking Igilna. The question is though whether it's worth trading up to #10 for Yakemchuk or a forward if Buium/Parekh/Dickinson go in some order 6-8 (or 9 I guess).
Would not trade up for Yakemchuk, but Parekh/Silayev I could see falling to that NJ #10 spot.

I could see a scenario (not my final mock):
1.Celebrini
2.Demidov
3.Levshunov
4.Lindstrom
5.Iginla
6.Buium
7. Catton
8.Dickinson

9-14.Brandsegg-Nygård/Parekh/Silayev/Sennecke/Helenius/Yakemchuk

Reactions: Sandisfan

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Would not trade up for Yakemchuk, but Parekh/Silayev I could see falling to that NJ #10 spot.

I could see a scenario (not my final mock):
1.Celebrini
2.Demidov
3.Levshunov
4.Lindstrom
5.Iginla
6.Buium
7. Catton
8.Dickinson

9-14.Brandsegg-Nygård/Parekh/Silayev/Sennecke/Helenius/Yakemchuk
Silayev is going to go top-5 or 6th at worst imo. I guess if 7-9 does end up being some combination of Buium, Dickinson/Parekh, and a forward (Igilna probably) or a surprise like Yakemchuk, I agree with trading up for whichever of Dickinson/Parekh is leftover.

Reactions: Sandisfan

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Yeah, the appeal of grabbing one of Emery/Elick/Badinka/Danford at 33 is that they are good skating D with size and defensive acumen that I feel would partner well with Mukhamadullin. In this case, my U25 depth chart would look something like:

LW:
William Eklund
Quentin Musty
Thomas Bordeleau
Kieron Walton

C:
Macklin Celebrini
Will Smith
Filip Bystedt
David Edstrom

RW:
Fabian Zetterlund
Kasper Halttunen
Danill Gushchin
Colin Graf

LD:
Shakir Mukhamadullin
Henry Thrun
Luca Cagnoni
Lukas Fischer

RD:
Carter Yakemchuk
Dominik Badinka
Charlie Elick
Jack Thompson
Tory Pitner
Erik Pohlkamp

G:
Marcus Gidlof
Magnus Chrona

That group is still missing a top line RW and a good defensive LD. My fantasy is that Vegas collapses next season and gives us a top-10 pick, leading to a roster like:

William Eklund-Macklin Celebrini-Porter Martone
Quentin Musty-Will Smith-Fabian Zetterlund
Thomas Bordeleau-Filip Bystedt-Kasper Halttunen
Kieron Walton-David Edstrom-Luke Kunin :sarcasm:

Matthew Schaefer-Carter Yakemchuk
Shakir Mukhamadullin-Dominik Badinka
Luca Cagnoni-Charlie Elick

With guys like Gushchin, Lund, Havelid, Graf, Pitner, Fischer, and Thrun there as depth.

Yeah, I can dream.
I think just getting a top 4 D / Top 6 winger + landing a top 3 pick that turns into a cornerstone player is a realistic dream scenario. Hagens or a 1D next year and we look pretty good going forward

Reactions: DG93

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Silayev is going to go top-5 or 6th at worst imo. I guess if 7-9 does end up being some combination of Buium, Dickinson/Parekh, and a forward (Igilna probably) or a surprise like Yakemchuk, I agree with trading up for whichever of Dickinson/Parekh is leftover.
Can you see the Russian factor having any influence with Silayev? I know he is loved by the NHL scouts from what I've heard/read which would make him a clear top 6 pick.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Can you see the Russian factor having any influence with Silayev? I know he is loved by the NHL scouts from what I've heard/read which would make him a clear top 6 pick.
Maybe, but he's got that size/skating combo that I bet scouts will still like a lot...not the same physical profile as a smaller scoring winger, for example.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
We just need somebody ahead of us to draft Eiserman is all.
I would love nothing more than to be wrong about the guy and see him become a force in the NCAA next year, I just really worry he's got the wrong attitude and low self awareness to improve the off puck game to an NHL level. But if we draft him I'll be watching those f'ing games I guess.

Patty Ice

Mighty Luca
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Last edited:
Reactions: Gecklund

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Jiri Fischer's, of DRW fame, boy.

6'3, lefty, decent skater, strong shot (one of the hardest in the draft), two way.

HF Legend Brock's take on him:
2024 NHL DRAFT: EARLY SEASON FAVOURITES - Ontario - Jakub Fibigr, Lukas Fischer, Ben Danford, Liam Greentree
Just was looking into him, too, and I can see the appeal. He seems like a classic late bloomer, which isn't unusual with bigger d-men who take time to figure out how to use their size. Plus I always liked his dad, so there's that.

Please, and then take whomever drops to 14 as a result. That would make me very happy
I'm starting to get more of a sense that we're going to trade up a few spots. It feels like things are set up almost too perfectly for us to not do so (unless those ahead of us decide they don't want to, of course) and the opportunity to get a right-shot D is too appealing and great.

Reactions: DG93

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
I would love nothing more than to be wrong about the guy and see him become a force in the NCAA next year, I just really worry he's got the wrong attitude and low self awareness to improve the off puck game to an NHL level. But if we draft him I'll be watching those f'ing games I guess.
The talking in 3rd person bit at least is pretty funny imo, and if he is friends with both Macklin and Smith he is probably a relatively high character guy.

It's possible he just had a tough year, especially with his dad having cancer, and hopefully if he is the Shark's guy he turns it around at BU.

And if he goes before the Sharks you have a stud like Helenius/Catton/Yakemchuk/Parekh dropping to you.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The talking in 3rd person bit at least is pretty funny imo, and if he is friends with both Macklin and Smith he is probably a relatively high character guy.

It's possible he just had a tough year, especially with his dad having cancer, and hopefully if he is the Shark's guy he turns it around at BU.

And if he goes before the Sharks you have a stud like Helenius/Catton/Yakemchuk/Parekh dropping to you.

I think I’ve always been intrigued by Eiserman. I hear everyone’s concern and if we don’t get him, that’s just fine by me, but I really don’t hate swinging on the best friend of the future of our franchise who has a lot of work to do but does have a high ceiling.

Especially because like, most of the guys at 14 don’t SUPER excite me. I want a high end defenseman, if we can’t trade up, taking a swing at a guy who has the talent to be a star.. it intrigues me.

Last edited:

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Personally, I’d be happy with Eiserman at 14. Yeah, Yeah..Theyre highlights and highlights don’t tell the whole story. I get that. I would gladly take the risk on a kid heading to BU who will get the coaching and guidance to grow his game. Point blank, period, dude is deadly. We need to score goals and drafting Eiserman is a key ingredient in that recipe.

OversKy

Oct 12, 2023
The more I read about this I feel more confident we could snatch Dickinson somehow with a trade involving our #14 pick. He could be just what Sharks need to win important games in the future. At his best I could see all situation defencemen that will wear "A" and be just outside Norris conversation because of points total.
This is who I'm hoping drops to us in the draft. It's kind of far fetched to see him fall to 14 but a low end prospect for his spot wouldn't kill me.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Personally, I’d be happy with Eiserman at 14. Yeah, Yeah..Theyre highlights and highlights don’t tell the whole story. I get that. I would gladly take the risk on a kid heading to BU who will get the coaching and guidance to grow his game. Point blank, period, dude is deadly. We need to score goals and drafting Eiserman is a key ingredient in that recipe.

I'd be fine with Eiserman but we need to get some Defensemen in our prospect pool asap

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad