Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
How many 90 point scoring wingers are there in the entire NHL? Maybe five who do it consistently? Yeah I'll bet those guys are hard to acquire. If scouts actually believe Catton will develop into one of them he should be a slam dunk top 5 pick.
Many scouts do have him as a slam-dunk top-5 pick. He’s #6 on my list. That isn’t to say that the risk isn’t real, but the upside is 100% there.

Reactions: TealManV

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
If the top 6 D and Celebrini, Demidov, Linsdtrom, Sennicke, Iginla, Catton, and Helenius are all gone then I would see if the Blackhawks want to trade 18 and 34 for 14.

The Sharks would likely get one of Eiserman, MBN, Solberg, or Jiricek. If those are the next 4 picks then Draft Emery or Chernyshov.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Many scouts do have him as a slam-dunk top-5 pick. He’s #6 on my list. That isn’t to say that the risk isn’t real, but the upside is 100% there.
I see Catton as a player that will put up points and be expensive but not help impact a teams winning in the playoffs. Catton is also redundant with the Sharks already having Eklund and Smith.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I would fall out of my chair if Levshunov, Silayev, and Buium aren't the first 3 defensemen taken. But Parekh is going to be a huge wild card in the draft.
Honestly, Silayev is to defensive D-man as Parekh is to offense. It's a question of preference.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I am a Solberg fan, but I am realistic. His ceiling is probably pick 13 or 14 given what we all know about everything. Pronman has him at 12, which is the highest anyone has seen him. You could characterize him as a reach on many draft boards if we pick him at 14, but I'd be happy with the pick.

I am also realistic -- the narrative is that he's a "checking D only" guy but that's not actually the reality of his play this year. He was pretty decent in breakouts and break-ins, and he flashed some offensive creativity at the NHL-level of play at Worlds. Here's a longer series of highlights, and here's a shorter one from World Champs only which shows some awesome hits (Parayko hip check) and also some pretty nifty handles, passes, and his goal v Canada.

I'm actually resigned to the idea that we're likely to pick Eiserman.
The thing that excites me (and makes me nervous) about Solberg is his background, coming from Norway, being a dark horse until the World Championships, and all the questions about how he may have been overlooked not because of how good he is or might be, but because he comes from an unconventional league/country and was always going to be seen as not good enough simply because of his competition there (until the Worlds).

There's also the possibility--not to slander Norway, but still--that when exposed to better coaching, training facilities, and competition, he might be able to elevate his game to another level. And the fact that he's already showed that he can hang with NHL players? Small sample size, of course, but certainly promising for his floor.

Reactions: landshark

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Why is that?
I think he will struggle to stay at C with his size and he he does stay there it is in a offensively sheltered 2C role which means he puts up points but still needs a strong 2-way 1C to complement him.

I think Will Smith is better but in a similar archetype hence why he is redundant to the Sharks. The fact the Sharks have Celebrini to compliment Smith will allow Smith to feast on soft minutes. With Celebrini on the roster I would rather have Smith than Fantilli or Carlsson and maybe even Bedard (but I’m very down on Bedard and think he is a soft winger who only has the best shot in the NHL and that’s it).

The thing that excites me (and makes me nervous) about Solberg is his background, coming from Norway, being a dark horse until the World Championships, and all the questions about how he may have been overlooked not because of how good he is or might be, but because he comes from an unconventional league/country and was always going to be seen as not good enough simply because of his competition there (until the Worlds).

There's also the possibility--not to slander Norway, but still--that when exposed to better coaching, training facilities, and competition, he might be able to elevate his game to another level. And the fact that he's already showed that he can hang with NHL players? Small sample size, of course, but certainly promising for his floor.
Could the same things have been said about Josi?

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I think he will struggle to stay at C with his size and he he does stay there it is in a offensively sheltered 2C role which means he puts up points but still needs a strong 2-way 1C to complement him.

I think Will Smith is better but in a similar archetype hence why he is redundant to the Sharks. The fact the Sharks have Celebrini to compliment Smith will allow Smith to feast on soft minutes. With Celebrini on the roster I would rather have Smith than Fantilli or Carlsson and maybe even Bedard (but I’m very down on Bedard and think he is a soft winger who only has the best shot in the NHL and that’s it).
One more point to add is that I think Catton is a lot like the top FWs for Toronto and the reason they have not been successful. They get paid to much based on empty point production and then eat too much of the cap for the value they provide on playing winning hockey.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

That’s a lot of words just to say that Catton won’t be a center, which is weird because I’ve stated that I see him as a winger multiple times in this thread today alone. This just in, wingers are inherently bad in the playoffs.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
In all seriousness, we are splitting hairs here. This draft is so all over the place that there's no clear story for trading up or down, and any player we pick at 14 is going to have a chance to be a real piece, or a chance to be redundant or worse. We just have to hope the scouts earned their money and the execs make the right call in a sea of noise on Friday. I'll be there and I'll only feel nauseous if we pick Eiserman which I newly feel like is the most likely thing. Also has some of the highest upside though (even if I don't believe in it).

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
That’s a lot of words just to say that Catton won’t be a center, which is weird because I’ve stated that I see him as a winger multiple times in this thread today alone. This just in, wingers are inherently bad in the playoffs.
Yeah and I think a small scoring winger as a ceiling is not worth the 14th pick when other more impactful players will be available.

I also am willing to put it here in writing that I don’t think Bedard will ever win a cup as the best player on his team. He will need an elite 1C to play on his team if he wants to win a cup. Rocket Richard trophies don’t win cups. Even Chris Peters said as much when comparing Celebrini and Bedard.

Also thanks for deleting that second paragraph. I didn’t take offense but it wasn’t necessary.

GRANdSharks

Mar 14, 2018
Personally, I don’t view LD as a premium position at this juncture in the Sharks rebuild (unless it’s Buium). And Solberg doesn’t sound like he’s projected to be a top pairing guy.

The Sharks currently have Mukhamadullin, Thrun, Cagnoni, and Furlong in the system. All are LD and 23 and younger.

This year alone in FA there are top 4 LD like Skjei and Zadorov available. Further down this list are guys like Dillon, Grzelcyk and OEL available. So, Grier can more easily find those guys in FA down the line if/when needed.

Lastly, the Sharks drafted Vlasic in the 2nd round. Same with Ferraro. So you don’t need to use a premium pick for that position. It seems like it would be wasting a shot at something better to invest in Solberg at 14 simply because he plays defense and the Sharks need more defensemen in the pipeline.
I mean i don't necessarily agree that were solid on left D sure we have a bigger need for a right handed D but it terms of long term top 4 guys on either side we have muhkhamadulin, who still needs to prove he can and maybe we hit on one of the lower tier guys i dont see a reason we shouldent invest in the position if we like a player there.

Solberg is a very good prospect and would be the number 1 d prospect in our system and has clear top 4 upside imo thats good value at 14 in this draft, he has sneaky upside offensively as well.

This is just my opinion and realistically the Sharks are in no position to pick solely based on need, i just don't see a big difference between Solberg and other guys likely to be available at 14 in this draft based on what I've seen this year.

Reactions: coooldude

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Could the same things have been said about Josi?
Yeah, I think so. Different skill-set, but still clearly underrated. Interesting to read this retrospective from the Preds on wanting him back then: Trading Up: How the Preds Made Sure They Got Roman Josi in the 2008 Draft | Nashville Predators

Of course, it would be much more fun with Solberg if we were to get him in the 2nd round, like Josi, but nooooooo.

I'm rooting for whichever pick will piss the most people off. Luchanko? Greentree? Trade down for Letourneau?
Now that's a great Sharks fan attitude!

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Yeah, I think so. Different skill-set, but still clearly underrated. Interesting to read this retrospective from the Preds on wanting him back then: Trading Up: How the Preds Made Sure They Got Roman Josi in the 2008 Draft | Nashville Predators

Of course, it would be much more fun with Solberg if we were to get him in the 2nd round, like Josi, but nooooooo.

Now that's a great Sharks fan attitude!
Solberg would have been available in the 2nd if not for his WC performance.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah and I think a small scoring winger as a ceiling is not worth the 14th pick when other more impactful players will be available.

I also am willing to put it here in writing that I don’t think Bedard will ever win a cup as the best player on his team. He will need an elite 1C to play on his team if he wants to win a cup. Rocket Richard trophies don’t win cups. Even Chris Peters said as much when comparing Celebrini and Bedard.

Also thanks for deleting that second paragraph. I didn’t take offense but it wasn’t necessary.
Your claim that Bedard can’t win a Cup as the best player on his team is reasonable, even if I disagree with it.

What’s ridiculous is saying that you’d rather have Smith than Bedard, Fantilli, or Carlsson. Smith also will never win a Cup if he’s the best player on his team and I would much rather have any of the other three players to pair with Celebrini than Smith. And I say that as someone who has been one of Smith’s greatest advocates on this forum.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Your claim that Bedard can’t win a Cup as the best player on his team is reasonable, even if I disagree with it.

What’s ridiculous is saying that you’d rather have Smith than Bedard, Fantilli, or Carlsson. Smith also will never win a Cup if he’s the best player on his team and I would much rather have any of the other three players to pair with Celebrini than Smith. And I say that as someone who has been one of Smith’s greatest advocates on this forum.
I said I would rather have Smith knowing we already have Celebrini. I agree Smith can’t be the best player on a cup winning team (he won’t have to be with Celebrini). I think the pure playmaking and offensive upside complements Celebrini better than all 3 of those players.

Grier listing literally every possibility is genuinely funny to me. :laugh:
That’s very DW of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad