Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
I do not think its a good idea for us to trade draft picks for rookies that need NHL ice time. I am already afraid of what will happen with Celebrini and Smith on the team and who we surround them with.
You get McGroaty for spare parts like Anaheim did with Cutter, take it and figure it out later. Paying fair value you can debate about, but he's a power-forward who is solid defensively, has leadership qualities, and scores a ton.

Reactions: ChompChomp

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
You get McGroaty for spare parts like Anaheim did with Cutter, take it and figure it out later. Paying fair value you can debate about, but he's a power-forward who is solid defensively, has leadership qualities, and scores a ton.

I agree with this except I personally wouldn't trade any first or second rick pick for McGroarty. (Cutter went for a 2nd plus Drysdale) A pick beyond that? Sure. Ozzy? Yup. Like Ozzy + Tampa's 3rd from Duclair trade.

(If WPG wants rights to Kunin, Zadina? Go right ahead. lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: DG93

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
The more I read about this I feel more confident we could snatch Dickinson somehow with a trade involving our #14 pick. He could be just what Sharks need to win important games in the future. At his best I could see all situation defencemen that will wear "A" and be just outside Norris conversation because of points total.

Reactions: OversKy

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021
I think a team should invest a mid round pick on a goalie every draft. Since it is a crapshoot you might as well buy a lottery ticket every year to see if you eventually hit.

Yes, but only draft Euro and college bound goalies. Seems like most goalies who make it don't figure things out until their mid-20s. You have a longer period before you have to sign them or lose them for Euro and college goalies, meaning you have a better idea who is worth signing. You have to sign junior goalies by two years after they are drafted.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Cas

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Just finished a mock draft with some other posters that went through the 5th round and here is my draft class:

1-1 C Macklin Celebrini
1-14 RD Carter Yakemchuk
2-33 RD Charlie Elick
2-42 RD Dominik Badinka
3-85 LD Lukas Fischer
4-116 LW Kieron Walton
5-131 RD Tory Pitner
5-143 G Marcus Gidlof

I’m not gonna lie, I’d be pretty thrilled if we came away with this group IRL. A few notes on some of the picks:

14: The BPA here was technically probably Beckett Sennecke, but I don’t think I could pass on one of the top six D even if Sennecke is there.
33: I really debated between Elick and Badinka—even though I like Badinka more honestly, I gambled that he was more likely to be available at 42 and so went with Elick at 33. In retrospect, I was so locked on defense that I missed Jett Luchenko being available, who was easily the BPA and I should have taken him.
42: I was pretty thrilled that Badinka was still there. If D weren’t such a need, I would have seriously considered Sam O’Reilly, whom I like a lot.
85: Thought about taking a goaltender here, but George and Nabokov were off the board already and I didn’t see another goalie that excited me there. I think Fischer is an interesting gamble and underrated for sure.
116: I heavily considered G Yegorov and LD Whipple, but in the end Walton was too much to pass up. I have liked him in viewings of Sudbury and he seems like a good mid-round upside shot.
131: Pitner was just BPA for me here and also fit an organizational need.
143: Partly a meme pick, but also probably the best goalie available at this point and I didn’t want to finish the mock without one.

Let me know what y’all think! Like I said, I’d be pretty thrilled if this is how things fell for the Sharks, especially if I had taken Luchenko over Elick. Lots of D, lots of size, a good mix of upside and high floors, and a legit goaltender.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Just finished a mock draft with some other posters that went through the 5th round and here is my draft class:

1-1 C Macklin Celebrini
1-14 RD Carter Yakemchuk
2-33 RD Charlie Elick
2-42 RD Dominik Badinka
3-85 LD Lukas Fischer
4-116 LW Kieron Walton
5-131 RD Tory Pitner
5-143 G Marcus Gidlof

I’m not gonna lie, I’d be pretty thrilled if we came away with this group IRL. A few notes on some of the picks:

14: The BPA here was technically probably Beckett Sennecke, but I don’t think I could pass on one of the top six D even if Sennecke is there.
33: I really debated between Elick and Badinka—even though I like Badinka more honestly, I gambled that he was more likely to be available at 42 and so went with Elick at 33. In retrospect, I was so locked on defense that I missed Jett Luchenko being available, who was easily the BPA and I should have taken him.
42: I was pretty thrilled that Badinka was still there. If D weren’t such a need, I would have seriously considered Sam O’Reilly, whom I like a lot.
85: Thought about taking a goaltender here, but George and Nabokov were off the board already and I didn’t see another goalie that excited me there. I think Fischer is an interesting gamble and underrated for sure.
116: I heavily considered G Yegorov and LD Whipple, but in the end Walton was too much to pass up. I have liked him in viewings of Sudbury and he seems like a good mid-round upside shot.
143: Partly a meme pick, but also probably the best goalie available at this point and I didn’t want to finish the mock without one.

Let me know what y’all think! Like I said, I’d be pretty thrilled if this is how things fell for the Sharks, especially if I had taken Luchenko over Elick. Lots of D, lots of size, a good mix of upside and high floors, and a legit goaltender.

After my own heart. Even drafted Gidlof the Goalie.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

1-1 C Macklin Celebrini
1-14 RD Carter Yakemchuk
2-33 RD Charlie Elick
2-42 RD Dominik Badinka
3-85 LD Lukas Fischer
4-116 LW Kieron Walton
5-131 RD Tory Pitner
5-143 G Marcus Gidlof

This would be an insane haul!

CHALUPA

Oct 9, 2008
Stockton, CA
Burke: "With the first overall pick, the San Jose Sharks are pleased to select: forward... Cole Eiserman."
1719174936264.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad