Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I mean both Zellweger and Hutson looked really good in their limited time last season. Those are two guys who profiled similarly to Cagnoni as prospects in recent history.
Cagnoni isn’t half as dynamic as those guys. I don’t think they’re comparable in any way but height.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Cagnoni isn’t half as dynamic as those guys. I don’t think they’re comparable in any way but height.
You also said Makar was a similar prospect to Ferraro though right?

I think it's pretty impressive for Cagnoni to put up similar stats to Zellweger in the same league and at the same age despite not being "half as dynamic".

Last edited:

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I'm not totally sure Havelid even gets signed to an ELC.

Yeah, I’m not sure. I’d like to see how he does in the AHL. He seems to have stagnated but I want to see what he can do with one more season, either in the AHL or in the SHL.

But yeah, ultimately, Muhk is really our only defensive prospect that feels like a guaranteed future NHLer at this juncture. Our defense is in a sad state.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

I think it's pretty impressive for Cagnoni to put up similar stats to Zellweger in the same league and at the same age despite not being "half as dynamic".
I’m having the strangest sense of deja vu. Didn’t this conversation already happen about Makar and Ferraro?

Reactions: knu and coooldude

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

No, I did not say that Makar was a similar prospect to Ferraro. I proved that I didn’t, you really have to get over this.

Reactions: landshark

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Every big hitter takes themselves out of position, it’s a hazard of the job. Best you can do is mitigate it by picking your spots and having a partner who can skate well and cover you. If he was a righty, he might make a good partner for Mukhamadullin, actually.

Having a modern day Dougie Murray would be pretty fun, I will admit.

Sorry this is a few days old post, but I think Murray was a great example of being a hitter and NOT getting out of position (frequently). Like, being in position despite his boots was his biggest strength (besides, like, actual strength).

To your point, he and Boyle worked well together because they covered for each other when one would make a risky play.

Having a modern day Murray would be amazing, so long as he is faster than original Murray

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If he's there at 33, then fine. Last thing we need to be doing is gambling on a reach
Reaching on a guy with virtually no offensive upside that is at best going to be a physical 3rd pairing guy seems like a waste of 14th overall pick. Feel like he's Robert Bortuzzo where he's adequate as a physical 3rd pairing guy, but not someone that should garner 1st round buzz at 14th overall.

Rather take a risk on Jiricek if we're hell bent on going defense with 14th overall. Otherwise, do the easy thing and take MBN and know that you've got an NHLer in a couple years that has size, skating, and scoring that should compliment Celebrini incredibly well on the RW in a player mold we don't currently have in the system on the right side.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Reaching on a guy with virtually no offensive upside that is at best going to be a physical 3rd pairing guy seems like a waste of 14th overall pick. Feel like he's Robert Bortuzzo where he's adequate as a physical 3rd pairing guy, but not someone that should garner 1st round buzz at 14th overall.

Rather take a risk on Jiricek if we're hell bent on going defense with 14th overall. Otherwise, do the easy thing and take MBN and know that you've got an NHLer in a couple years that has size, skating, and scoring that should compliment Celebrini incredibly well on the RW in a player mold we don't currently have in the system on the right side.
But he's not a zero offensive upside player. He's added a lot of creativity on breakouts and in the OZ and has a solid shot. He scored in the Worlds against NHL Canada and it wasn't a fluky goal. He's a great skater - this is not Douglas Murray. He's getting top 15 buzz as a late riser. It's not a big reach and Solberg is going to be long gone by 33. He's being compared to Mo Seider.

Pronman's latest mock came out today after half the week of the combine. He has Yak going to the Kraken and Parekh falling to 13, leaving us with a choice between MBN, Jiricek, Solberg. He has us choose Jiricek, MBN goes to Detroit and Solberg goes next to STL. I would be surprised if Grier passes on a Grier player like MBN, or Solberg, for the risks of Jiricek.

Additionally, if you want some other opinions, read the last few pages in his thread. I already posted the EP draft guide summary for him, it's not "no offensive upside".

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

You don't think "I don't think Ferraro is miles behind Makar" is calling them similar prospects?
Oh my god man drop it. We all have prospect misses. Also no it isn’t the same thing.

Shit like this post is why so many of us have stopped posting our thoughts on prospects. If we get one thing wrong it continues to come up again and again. None of us have a crystal ball. All of this is opinion.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
“I don’t think Ferraro is miles behind Makar”
Personally I take that at face value as meaning he’s not as terrible as some make him out to be. He’s closer to a top pairing guy than some fans seem to paint him. That COULD mean he’s still average, but maybe Makar isn’t as elite as originally thought as well.

Personally, I’m not buying the Solberg hype. I’d actually probably trade back and just take Kiviharju if you REALLY want a Dman before I’d take a late riser in THIS instance. Or, just take the best forward available; Sennecke. Just me though. Cheers.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

bigsjfan

Jul 25, 2010
St John's, NL

You don't think "I don't think Ferraro is miles behind Makar" is calling them similar prospects?
just for context, This was the season in which that assessment was made. At the time I also believed Ferraro wasn't miles behind Makar because at the time he wasn't.

Attachments

• 2024-06-05_13-02-10.png
    2024-06-05_13-02-10.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 3

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
“I don’t think Ferraro is miles behind Makar”
Personally I take that at face value as meaning he’s not as terrible as some make him out to be. He’s closer to a top pairing guy than some fans seem to paint him. That COULD mean he’s still average, but maybe Makar isn’t as elite as originally thought as well.

Personally, I’m not buying the Solberg hype. I’d actually probably trade back and just take Kiviharju if you REALLY want a Dman before I’d take a late riser in THIS instance. Or, just take the best forward available; Sennecke. Just me though. Cheers.
I did a mock draft on the boards here (which ended up much better than expected) and I really should have taken Emery at 33 but took Kiviharju as a meme pick. I had already taken Macklin and Eiserman so it was the 3 guys who at the start of the year were in competition for first overall.

On that note, here was my total draft:

1 (1) - Macklin Celebrini
1 (14) - Cole Eiserman
2 (33) - Aron Kiviharju
2 (39) - Leo Sahlin Wallenius
2 (42) - Harrison Brunicke
3. (85) Simon Zether
4. (116) - Jacob Battaglia
5. (131) - Joonas Saaraleinen
5. (143) - Xavier Veilleux
7 (201) - Artemi Nizameez

I would be crying tears of joy if this was our draft even if there were a few picks I would change in hindsight.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I did a mock draft on the boards here (which ended up much better than expected) and I really should have taken Emery at 33 but took Kiviharju as a meme pick. I had already taken Macklin and Eiserman so it was the 3 guys who at the start of the year were in competition for first overall.

1 (14) - Cole Eiserman
2 (33) - Aron Kiviharju
3. (85) Simon Zether

I would be crying tears of joy if this was our draft even if there were a few picks I would change in hindsight.
Dude, Celly, Eiserman and Kiviharju all before pick #40 is an unreal haul. Not just the names being well known. I think at least Celebrini and Kiviharju end up being cornerstones.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

1 (14) - Cole Eiserman
2 (33) - Aron Kiviharju
3. (85) Simon Zether

How did you end up with pick #39?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Dude, Celly, Eiserman and Kiviharju all before pick #40 is an unreal haul. Not just the names being well known. I think at least Celebrini and Kiviharju end up being cornerstones.
Kiviharju I don’t know how to feel. Kiviharju is a smart player, a good (enough) skater, and very good offensively. His injuries worry me and so does his size.

How did you end up with pick #39?
I traded Ferraro for it. Had a buddy who wasn’t able to make the pick so he traded it to me. Realistically probably wouldn’t do that trade but I had LSW like 10 picks higher and also like Brunicke.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
But he's not a zero offensive upside player. He's added a lot of creativity on breakouts and in the OZ and has a solid shot. He scored in the Worlds against NHL Canada and it wasn't a fluky goal. He's a great skater - this is not Douglas Murray. He's getting top 15 buzz as a late riser. It's not a big reach and Solberg is going to be long gone by 33. He's being compared to Mo Seider.

Pronman's latest mock came out today after half the week of the combine. He has Yak going to the Kraken and Parekh falling to 13, leaving us with a choice between MBN, Jiricek, Solberg. He has us choose Jiricek, MBN goes to Detroit and Solberg goes next to STL. I would be surprised if Grier passes on a Grier player like MBN, or Solberg, for the risks of Jiricek.

Additionally, if you want some other opinions, read the last few pages in his thread. I already posted the EP draft guide summary for him, it's not "no offensive upside".

If Solberg shot right-handed, I'd be more willing to take the risk. The offense is not abundant as he scored very little in a bad league. Not expecting him to be a PPG player or anything like that as it's still a men's league, but it's also one of the worst non beer league men's leagues in the world and the production didn't stand out.

That sort of profile with production and coming from a league that doesn't produce NHLers doesn't give me warm and fuzzy feelings. I don't doubt that he will probably be an NHL player, I just don't see much top 4 upside based on his offensive profile to date. Maybe he is the anomaly as a super late riser out of the blue or maybe he's just riding a heater right now.

Long story short, I think above average sized physical LHD that plays in the 5/6 spot is an archetype that you can find pretty abundantly in UFA and trade. It's not an archetype that I think is worthy of 14th overall.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Kivijharju has been flat since 2 years ago and all the NHL scouts are bearish on him at least from the EP guide.

"Don't think he'll score points in the NHL and can't play NHL defense."
"Don't think he'll play in the NHL."
"Smart but small and doesn't have the mobility to back it up."

He used to be highly touted but it seems like he might not go before pick 40. I wouldn't be happy if we picked him.

If Solberg shot right-handed, I'd be more willing to take the risk. The offense is not abundant as he scored very little in a bad league. Not expecting him to be a PPG player or anything like that as it's still a men's league, but it's also one of the worst non beer league men's leagues in the world and the production didn't stand out.

That sort of profile with production and coming from a league that doesn't produce NHLers doesn't give me warm and fuzzy feelings. I don't doubt that he will probably be an NHL player, I just don't see much top 4 upside based on his offensive profile to date. Maybe he is the anomaly as a super late riser out of the blue or maybe he's just riding a heater right now.

Long story short, I think above average sized physical LHD that plays in the 5/6 spot is an archetype that you can find pretty abundantly in UFA and trade. It's not an archetype that I think is worthy of 14th overall.
We'll see what happens. Your second paragraph is exactly why he's being compared to Seider. No matter, what, we should be getting a solid prospect at 14.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Kivijharju has been flat since 2 years ago and all the NHL scouts are bearish on him at least from the EP guide.

"Don't think he'll score points in the NHL and can't play NHL defense."
"Don't think he'll play in the NHL."
"Smart but small and doesn't have the mobility to back it up."

He used to be highly touted but it seems like he might not go before pick 40. I wouldn't be happy if we picked him.

We'll see what happens. Your second paragraph is exactly why he's being compared to Seider. No matter, what, we should be getting a solid prospect at 14.
Interesting they think he “doesn’t have the mobility to back it up” because I entirely disagree. He’s not a burner but he’s a fine skater and he’s smart enough to know where to be.

I actually don’t agree with any of these :laugh: obviously these guys do it for a living so it’s one guy on the internet against pros but I think Kiviharju is one of the smarter prospects in the draft and that will lead him to have a relatively successful career (probably not top pair but 4/5 offensive D)

• Wow

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Interesting they think he “doesn’t have the mobility to back it up” because I entirely disagree. He’s not a burner but he’s a fine skater and he’s smart enough to know where to be.

I actually don’t agree with any of these :laugh: obviously these guys do it for a living so it’s one guy on the internet against pros but I think Kiviharju is one of the smarter prospects in the draft and that will lead him to have a relatively successful career (probably not top pair but 4/5 offensive D)
Watching him at the WJC was brutal. He doesn't move his feet at all. He stands flat footed at the blue line and just waits for things to happen, then halfheartedly responds.

I don't think Kiviharjru has much of a chance as an NHL prospect at all.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Kiviharju’s mediocre skating was the main reason I wasn’t high on him even before he got hurt this year.

Personally, I wouldn’t touch him until the third round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad