Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
As one of our resident Solberg believers, I upgraded to EP premium and immediately read his profile. the NHL scout buzz is strong here - "the Defense Sennecke" as the strongest riser since Jan and multiple scouts saying he's top 20. Contrast with Jan 2024 when one scout said "if you pick this guy in the first round, you might as well just burn your pick."

The EP scout evaluations from Worlds basically described them turning into believers in his upside because he flashed significantly improved confidence and ability in controlled breakouts, controlled plays in general, and some deception and threat in the O zone. He made some bonehead plays, but the consensus from Cam and David seemed to be "with the right development, a top 4 D is there, perhaps a solid partner to a #1D." There's risk there, but to me, showing out over multiple games at an NHL-level tournament is just as impressive as what other prospects did over the year in the NCAA or CHL.

I think no matter what, we're getting a good player at 14. The only player I'd worry about is Eiserman because there's no plan B. Any of (my preference order) MBN, Solberg, Sennecke, Helenius, or the lesser chance at players like Yak, Iggy, or Catton, will be a super exciting pick behind Celebrini. #33 and 42 will just be gravy (or used in a trade up to 10???)

Patty Ice

Mighty Luca
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I used to believe that the ideal defense was an elite two-way #1D (Chara, Doughty, Lidstrom, Keith) and a bunch of good middle pairing defensemen. Now, I think it might be a #2D with elite offense, a #2D with high-end defense, and a high-end #3D generalist, plus some solid #4-5 guys.

I am very interested in seeing what we have in Cagnoni. While he may not be elite offensively at the NHL level (his shot holds him back), he is strong on his skates, great in transition, and a great passer. I think he can and should put up points in the NHL despite being sub 5'10. But his height isn't a concern for me since his built like a thicc boi and can always get stronger.

That's why I would like to see him in the AHL this year. It will give us a better look at what he could be in the NHL rather than him dominating another year in juniors. The Cuda need the help anyways.

Draft Badinka at 33 and I think that could be a solid 2nd pairing.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I wanted to look at some trade back scenarios. Using the Perri pick value calculator here are a couple I found:

Chicago
14 + 42 + 85 → 18 + 34 + 50
Sharks +0.468 (~5th rounder)

Nashville
14 → 22 + 53 + 55
Nashville +0.875 (~4th rounder)

Combined Chicago + Nashville
Do the Chicago trade
Then with Nashville: 18 → 22 + 53
Sharks +0.429 (~5th rounder)

Sharks picks within the top 100 after doing the combined approach (trading out 14 + 42 + 85):
1, 22, 32, 34, 50, 53

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I am very interested in seeing what we have in Cagnoni. While he may not be elite offensively at the NHL level (his shot holds him back), he is strong on his skates, great in transition, and a great passer. I think he can and should put up points in the NHL despite being sub 5'10. But his height isn't a concern for me since his built like a thicc boi and can always get stronger.

That's why I would like to see him in the AHL this year. It will give us a better look at what he could be in the NHL rather than him dominating another year in juniors. The Cuda need the help anyways.

Draft Badinka at 33 and I think that could be a solid 2nd pairing.
With due respect to Cagnoni, he would have to improve and insane amount to be an impact defenseman at the NHL level. I like the pick and I’m rooting for him, but as far as projecting a future roster he isn’t even a consideration. If he does make those drastic steps forward then he’s a pleasant surprise, but he has no impact on team-building and future planning.

Reactions: Gecklund

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
With due respect to Cagnoni, he would have to improve and insane amount to be an impact defenseman at the NHL level. I like the pick and I’m rooting for him, but as far as projecting a future roster he isn’t even a consideration. If he does make those drastic steps forward then he’s a pleasant surprise, but he has no impact on team-building and future planning.
Not to rain on your parade but I have no doubt, many similar thoughts were expressed about a certain player that donned a teal sweater and may have retired today. Joe Pavelski.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Not to rain on your parade but I have no doubt, many similar thoughts were expressed about a certain player that donned a teal sweater and may have retired today. Joe Pavelski.
Indeed, Pavelski beat literally the longest odds in NHL history to become a star NHL player. Cagnoni will have to do the same. That’s why I didn’t say “he’s guaranteed to fail”, but rather “we shouldn’t count on him to beat those extremely long odds”.

Not pencilling Cagnoni into a lineup doesn’t mean I’m discounting him, it means I’m being realistic. You can interpret it in whatever way makes you feel better about yourself.

Patty Ice

Mighty Luca
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Indeed, Pavelski beat literally the longest odds in NHL history to become a star NHL player. Cagnoni will have to do the same. That’s why I didn’t say “he’s guaranteed to fail”, but rather “we shouldn’t count on him to beat those extremely long odds”.

Not pencilling Cagnoni into a lineup doesn’t mean I’m discounting him, it means I’m being realistic. You can interpret it in whatever way makes you feel better about yourself.

And neither am I pencilling in Cagnoni. That is why I am interested in seeing how he does in the AHL. It will give us a gauge if he is someone we should start considering.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

I don’t know the kid. I can’t make determinations, realistic or not. I’m just going to cheer him on and hope he succeeds.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don’t know the kid. I can’t make determinations, realistic or not. I’m just going to cheer him on and hope he succeeds.
No one can know the future. But it is possible to watch the player, look around the league, take note of how many impact NHLers there are that are his size and play his style of hockey (none), and reach a conclusion about what it would take for him to be an impact NHLer.

You have constantly maintained that because one cannot predict the future and very technically anything can happen, it is worthless to discuss anything related to the future. Really weird sentiment to have on a Discussion Forum.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
No one can know the future. But it is possible to watch the player, look around the league, take note of how many impact NHLers there are that are his size and play his style of hockey (none), and reach a conclusion about what it would take for him to be an impact NHLer.

You have constantly maintained that because one cannot predict the future and very technically anything can happen, it is worthless to discuss anything related to the future. Really weird sentiment to have on a Discussion Forum.
Equally worthless to determine how a player will play.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

Solberg highlights. @Kcoyote3, is this a product of the league or is he just a really strong kid?

He's a really strong kid. For a comp maybe someone like Brayden McNabb in awhile. He has some defensive deficiencies though. He often isn't reading the play and is just reading the man and whether he can hit him or not. He has quick retrievals when he gets the puck. I like him but he's got to figure out if what he's doing is actually going to work in the NHL or learn to adapt. His retrievals are the one thing that I think he's going to lean on as he develops. They're really good.

His play at worlds was a significant improvement from his U20 play though when you account for the step up in competition. He's figuring it out quickly and a team is going to swing on him super early.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
He's a really strong kid. For a comp maybe someone like Brayden McNabb in awhile. He has some defensive deficiencies though. He often isn't reading the play and is just reading the man and whether he can hit him or not. He has quick retrievals when he gets the puck. I like him but he's got to figure out if what he's doing is actually going to work in the NHL or learn to adapt. His retrievals are the one thing that I think he's going to lean on as he develops. They're really good.

His play at worlds was a significant improvement from his U20 play though when you account for the step up in competition. He's figuring it out quickly and a team is going to swing on him super early.
Would you value Solberg enough to use the 14th pick or is the gap between him and other defensive dmen projected to go late first/early second not wide enough to justify said pick? For fun, let’s say MBN is still on the board as well as others seem to like him at 14.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I think that would be a massive success. As it is, he has to prove he can even be Addison. Players picked #110-130 (Cagnoni was 123rd) average around 80 total NHL games played in their career. Addison is already at 152 games / 50 points. He was picked 53rd overall.

Source - draft pick stats and expectations
I agree it would be a massive success. Here’s hoping.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I recognize how big of a leap it would take for Cagnoni to make the NHL but I like his personality and I like that every time he’s been counted out he’s proven people wrong, so here’s to him proving people wrong.

All that said, I think it’s much safer to pencil in Havelid on our third pairing than Cagnoni, and even him I’m not totally sure.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I recognize how big of a leap it would take for Cagnoni to make the NHL but I like his personality and I like that every time he’s been counted out he’s proven people wrong, so here’s to him proving people wrong.

All that said, I think it’s much safer to pencil in Havelid on our third pairing than Cagnoni, and even him I’m not totally sure.
I'm not totally sure Havelid even gets signed to an ELC.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Maybe it's safer, but the only young defenseman I'd feel comfortable penciling into a future lineup is Mukhamadullin (Emberson as well, but he isn't really "young" anymore).

Reactions: Jargon

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013

I mean both Zellweger and Hutson looked really good in their limited time last season. Those are two guys who profiled similarly to Cagnoni as prospects in recent history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad