Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
A weird skating stride isn’t so bad. Curious if Chicago takes him.
It would be insane to use a 2nd overall pick on a winger who has never played higher than the MHL. Especially when there are so many safe defense prospects available. Kyle Davidson seems like a really stupid guy so maybe he does it anyway but that would be such a massive risk.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
It would be insane to use a 2nd overall pick on a winger who has never played higher than the MHL. Especially when there are so many safe defense prospects available. Kyle Davidson seems like a really stupid guy so maybe he does it anyway but that would be such a massive risk.
It's not surprising that EP has him ranked 2nd if they view all of the "safe" dmen as having various glaring issues.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
less-is-more-1-728.jpg

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I know Ive said it before but after how ass this year was if SJ was picking 2nd id be so bummed. TBH picks 2-8 literally all look the same to me. Demidov playing at a low low level in Russia, all the d men having sizable holes in their games. Im sure there's a star or two between Demidov and Buium but it's hard to tell. Thoughts and prayers to those scouts picking 2/3/4 haha

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I know Ive said it before but after how ass this year was if SJ was picking 2nd id be so bummed. TBH picks 2-8 literally all look the same to me. Demidov playing at a low low level in Russia, all the d men having sizable holes in their games. Im sure there's a star or two between Demidov and Buium but it's hard to tell. Thoughts and prayers to those scouts picking 2/3/4 haha

I’ve been thinking the same thing. It’s nice to get the first overall in a draft with a bonafide franchise player being available while there is a steep drop off after. I know we’re all debating about 14 and after but getting Celebrini already makes this draft an A+.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’d definitely consider him at 42. I’m pretty locked on defense at 33 though.

I have an EP Premium membership and spent the last three or four hours reading through hundreds of pages of scouting reports. Pretty insane amount of content. My favorite part of it is the “Industry quotes” section where anonymous NHL scouts give sound bites to EP. Really interesting to see what real NHL scouts are saying.

I obviously won’t give up a ton of paid content, but if anyone has any specific questions on any specific prospects I can give an overviews. They have microstat tracking profiles, tool grades, projections, etc. I also like the cute little icons that they tag each profile with. Macklin has “sniper”, “tactician”, and “got that dog in him”. :laugh:

I was particularly intrigued by some NHL scout quotes on Dickinson and Yakemchuk. They reflect things that I have seen myself, though I’m higher on both players than EP.

Dickinson:

This was a fascinating quote to me because I feel like Nurse is a pretty decent comparison. Nurse has the size, skating, physicality, shot, and he can make some great individual offensive plays, but the package doesn’t add up to what it should. I think Dickinson lands somewhere between Nurse (#4D who can eat minutes but also drives you a little crazy) and Hanifin (solid if unspectacular #2D). He’s one of the guys who I think it will be fascinating to follow. To me, he feels like a coach’s dream… which may end up biting a team in the ass when he’s playing too many minutes too early a la Ristolainen. I think you could also say that about Levshunov, so it’s kinda pick your poison. With all that said, he’s still worth a pick in the 6-8 range. Floor is two high to fall any further IMO.

Yakemchuk:

There were some more disparaging quotes from other NHL scouts, but this one was the worst IMO. The game reports from the EP scouts mirrored a lot of what I’ve seen too.

On the whole, this defensive class may be a little overrated. Levshunov and Dickinson have hockey IQ questions. Yakemchuk has hockey IQ and skating questions. Parekh has physicality and defensive questions. Silayev has puck-handling and offensive questions. And Buium has translatability questions, though I believe in him the most.

All this to say that I’d be thrilled with any of those defensemen at 14, but holy hell are well lucky to have Macklin. I don’t envy the teams in the 2-5 range that have to distill something from this mess.
Does EP have a mock draft in any of that content? It'd be interesting to see what that sort of place would have for us at 14.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Does EP have a mock draft in any of that content? It'd be interesting to see what that sort of place would have for us at 14.
Their latest mock, which they released after the lottery, had the Sharks taking Sennecke at 14. I'm not sure how realistic that is anymore as the firmly ranked Sennecke in the top 10 in the latest guide.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Yakemchuk is going to go a lot lower than I think us fans think. His defensive and IQ issues just tell me BUST.
He's a polarizing prospect even among pro scouts. He could go high, or he could go low. I don't think anyone (including professionals) know for sure what's going to happen with him.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I'm sold(berg). Hopefully he's still there at 14.
The pro scouts quoted from EP rinkside are hesitant on his top 4 potential. Seem to see him more as a 5. Everyone loves that he's mean, but some question whether or not his puck skills are translatable. Today, Pronman added in his latest that he sees top 4 upside and likes his ability to move pucks enough. He definitely seems like a Grier guy.

Brandsegg-Nygard does too though. If he's there at 14, I'd be at least tempted to walk away with him and Celebrini as they are rated by EP as the best two-way forwards in the draft. Although, other scouts question Nygard's stamina and didn't like his international play.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yakemchuk is going to go a lot lower than I think us fans think. His defensive and IQ issues just tell me BUST.
He's a polarizing prospect even among pro scouts. He could go high, or he could go low. I don't think anyone (including professionals) know for sure what's going to happen with him.
Yeah, I think he’s gonna be one of the most fascinating stories in the draft. I’m low-key worried Grier would pass on him.

Frankly, I’m excited to be at the draft just because of how crazy I think it’s gonna be. Last year I was going nuts with Reinbacher and Simashev taken before Michkov and But going before Benson.

Reactions: Gecklund

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The pro scouts quoted from EP rinkside are hesitant on his top 4 potential. Seem to see him more as a 5. Everyone loves that he's mean, but some question whether or not his puck skills are translatable. Today, Pronman added in his latest that he sees top 4 upside and likes his ability to move pucks enough. He definitely seems like a Grier guy.

Brandsegg-Nygard does too though. If he's there at 14, I'd be at least tempted to walk away with him and Celebrini as they are rated by EP as the best two-way forwards in the draft. Although, other scouts question Nygard's stamina and didn't like his international play.
Sounds like Solberg could be an Alex Romanov type defenseman if he pans out.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sounds like Solberg could be an Alex Romanov type defenseman if he pans out.
I think that’s a reasonable projection. EP ranks his tools as average across the board but gives him an 8 (out of 9) for physicality and compares him to Trouba stylistically.

I wouldn’t be thrilled with him at 14, but I could live with it. I just feel like middle-pairing LHD is the only spot in our blue line that we already have taken care of in Mukhamadullin, so Solberg is a little less exciting. His tracking profile is pretty poor, especially with zone exits, probably the most important thing for defensemen.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
It sounds to me like Solberg could be a Jacob Trouba or he might end up being Nikita Okhotiuk, not sure if we should take him at 14.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think that’s a reasonable projection. EP ranks his tools as average across the board but gives him an 8 (out of 9) for physicality and compares him to Trouba stylistically.

I wouldn’t be thrilled with him at 14, but I could live with it. I just feel like middle-pairing LHD is the only spot in our blue line that we already have taken care of in Mukhamadullin, so Solberg is a little less exciting. His tracking profile is pretty poor, especially with zone exits, probably the most important thing for defensemen.
If we draft a legit top pair guy with our 2025 1st (preferably a right shot but can't be too picky) I think we could make it work with that guy, Shak and Solberg in the top 4. Or we trade Shak or Solberg in a few years to address a different need.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If we draft a legit top pair guy with our 2025 1st (preferably a right shot but can't be too picky) I think we could make it work with that guy, Shak and Solberg in the top 4. Or we trade Shak or Solberg in a few years to address a different need.
Totally. A true #1 doesn’t need another top-pairing quality D on his pairing to make it work. In fact, I feel like best-slash-most attainable formula for a successful defense might be something like the Tampa model, where Hedman/McDonagh/Sergachev played on different pairings with decent bottom pairing guys as their partners. It’s juniors, but Saginaw just won the Mem Cup with Parekh/Donavan/Dionico on separate pairs until crunch time where they pretty much played only four D.

Edmonton only has Bouchard/Ekholm/Nurse as real top-4 D and Florida only has Forsling/Ekblad/Montour. You can definitely make it work.

It’s just a matter of is a legit #1D prospect even available next season that’s the problem. I’m not convinced yet, hopefully one emerges.

Reactions: Hodge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad