Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
So had the Sharks won the lottery last year you would have been against drafting Connor Bedard?
Okay, no more drafting players under 6 foot out of junior hockey unless they score at least 2.5 points per game in their draft year.

So no Canadians or Americans under 6’0”? It’s not Catton’s fault he doesn’t have another option than juniors. Celebrini is the first guy in a long time to play NCAA at age 17, he’s the exception, not the rule.
It's not their fault but it's undeniable that drafting a small player based entirely on his performance against teenagers is a huge risk. Whereas with NCAA and especially European pro leagues there's at least some proof of concept that the player can succeed against physically developed opponents.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Okay, no more drafting players under 6 foot out of junior hockey unless they score at least 2.5 points per game in their draft year.

It's not their fault but it's undeniable that drafting a small player based entirely on his performance against teenagers is a huge risk. Whereas with NCAA and especially European pro leagues there's at least some proof of concept that the player can succeed against physically developed opponents.
I don’t disagree with this, but you could say that as much about a 5’11” guy as a 6’0” guy. Do you really think one inch matters that much? My point is that there should be no hard-and-fast rules. Obviously size is something you would and should take into consideration. I think Catton is one of the best players in this draft but I wouldn’t take him with a puck in the top five partially because he is a small and slight guy. But if he were somehow available at 14, you sprint to the podium to grab him because he’s by far the most talented player available.

No rules. Always evaluate on a case by case basis.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
So no Helenius either, then. He's listed as 5'11".
Helenius has a high degree of structure to his game with high offensive and defensive IQ, with potential to be more and a decent strength base already.

Catton's defense is like a caricature of Mitch Marner's defense by someone who especially hates him.
Especially if he's playing wing, and "defensive liability" will be somewhat negated. Not sure what metric was used, but Wheeler even said he was one of the top PKers in the WHL

Everyone? Find a single source that says that.
His thread? There's plenty of discussion about inconsistent defensive decisions and inability to win board battles.

The PK thing is just being good positionally and getting takeaways, it also differs from defense, their penalty kill was pretty bad as a whole too so you'd really have to see him in a different sample to say much about it.

Talks about his struggles in board battles from a guy who really likes him.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

I think you'd be fine if you didn't make blanket statements. It's okay to analyze each individual player separately.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

I agree. I made mention of this a while back about how a majority of our prospects/kids are under 6'. We're still gonna need some physicality if the team ever wants to go on a long run.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
While we're on the topic, the first fun thing to come out of the combine is more accurate heights. Here's the invite list with heights and weights. I'm not sure if these are the official measurements (I don't think so - physicals are on Weds EDIT: official height measurement and physical tests are on Fri) but these are probably therefore the "official" submitted heights by the players, and would be a little embarrassing if these were far off the physical.
  • Catton, while being talked about as 5'11" or 6'0" at times, is 5'10.0" and 170.
  • Zeev Buium is indeed 6'0.0" and 183.
  • Macklin is 6'0.0" and 190.
  • Helenius is 5'10.75" and 180.
  • Cole Hutson is 5'10.25" and 165.
  • Sennecke is 6'2.25" and 177 (beanpole)
  • Solberg is 6'2" 194.
  • EJ Emery is 6'3" 185 (also beanpole).
  • Yak is 6'2.75" and 201.

Last edited:

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Any thoughts on Yegor Surin at 33 or 42? 6'1" C from Yaroslav and super young for the draft, August 1st birthday.
I haven't seen much on him on these boards/ various articles, but the little I've seen tends to be positive. As opposed to people who seem kind of all over the place on many Russian prospects (Silayev as high as 2 and as low as high teens, Chernyshov as high as 12ish and as low as 40s+, even some people down on Demidov as a top 5).

Wonder how our Russian scout fiasco impacts the team's confidence to select a Russian.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Reading his scouting reports he sounds like a Russian Ben Eager.:laugh:
1717467876508.png

Surin at least has high compete and seems like a reasonable pick in the 2nd-3rd, however given our needs there are likely other players that are better fits and similar potential.

Still will be curious if we draft any Russians at all.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Any thoughts on Yegor Surin at 33 or 42? 6'1" C from Yaroslav and super young for the draft, August 1st birthday.
I’d definitely consider him at 42. I’m pretty locked on defense at 33 though.

I have an EP Premium membership and spent the last three or four hours reading through hundreds of pages of scouting reports. Pretty insane amount of content. My favorite part of it is the “Industry quotes” section where anonymous NHL scouts give sound bites to EP. Really interesting to see what real NHL scouts are saying.

I obviously won’t give up a ton of paid content, but if anyone has any specific questions on any specific prospects I can give an overviews. They have microstat tracking profiles, tool grades, projections, etc. I also like the cute little icons that they tag each profile with. Macklin has “sniper”, “tactician”, and “got that dog in him”. :laugh:

I was particularly intrigued by some NHL scout quotes on Dickinson and Yakemchuk. They reflect things that I have seen myself, though I’m higher on both players than EP.

Dickinson:
“I’m watching the Oilers and watching Darnell Nurse struggle. Dickinson will play in the NHL and play a lot of minutes. I think the hockey sense will limit how far this thing will go.”
This was a fascinating quote to me because I feel like Nurse is a pretty decent comparison. Nurse has the size, skating, physicality, shot, and he can make some great individual offensive plays, but the package doesn’t add up to what it should. I think Dickinson lands somewhere between Nurse (#4D who can eat minutes but also drives you a little crazy) and Hanifin (solid if unspectacular #2D). He’s one of the guys who I think it will be fascinating to follow. To me, he feels like a coach’s dream… which may end up biting a team in the ass when he’s playing too many minutes too early a la Ristolainen. I think you could also say that about Levshunov, so it’s kinda pick your poison. With all that said, he’s still worth a pick in the 6-8 range. Floor is two high to fall any further IMO.

Yakemchuk:
“The talent is there, the offense is there… I’d rather play against him than have him on my team. I don’t like him. He’s just soft. He didn’t interview well. That could be a really disappointing pick. You just can’t bet on someone that high who is that easy to play against. I hope someone else takes him high.”

There were some more disparaging quotes from other NHL scouts, but this one was the worst IMO. The game reports from the EP scouts mirrored a lot of what I’ve seen too.

On the whole, this defensive class may be a little overrated. Levshunov and Dickinson have hockey IQ questions. Yakemchuk has hockey IQ and skating questions. Parekh has physicality and defensive questions. Silayev has puck-handling and offensive questions. And Buium has translatability questions, though I believe in him the most.

All this to say that I’d be thrilled with any of those defensemen at 14, but holy hell are well lucky to have Macklin. I don’t envy the teams in the 2-5 range that have to distill something from this mess.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I’d definitely consider him at 42. I’m pretty locked on defense at 33 though.

I have an EP Premium membership and spent the last three or four hours reading through hundreds of pages of scouting reports. Pretty insane amount of content. My favorite part of it is the “Industry quotes” section where anonymous NHL scouts give sound bites to EP. Really interesting to see what real NHL scouts are saying.

I obviously won’t give up a ton of paid content, but if anyone has any specific questions on any specific prospects I can give an overviews. They have microstat tracking profiles, tool grades, projections, etc. I also like the cute little icons that they tag each profile with. Macklin has “sniper”, “tactician”, and “got that dog in him”. :laugh:

I was particularly intrigued by some NHL scout quotes on Dickinson and Yakemchuk. They reflect things that I have seen myself, though I’m higher on both players than EP.

Dickinson:

This was a fascinating quote to me because I feel like Nurse is a pretty decent comparison. Nurse has the size, skating, physicality, shot, and he can make some great individual offensive plays, but the package doesn’t add up to what it should. I think Dickinson lands somewhere between Nurse (#4D who can eat minutes but also drives you a little crazy) and Hanifin (solid if unspectacular #2D). He’s one of the guys who I think it will be fascinating to follow. To me, he feels like a coach’s dream… which may end up biting a team in the ass when he’s playing too many minutes too early a la Ristolainen. I think you could also say that about Levshunov, so it’s kinda pick your poison. With all that said, he’s still worth a pick in the 6-8 range. Floor is two high to fall any further IMO.

Yakemchuk:

There were some more disparaging quotes from other NHL scouts, but this one was the worst IMO. The game reports from the EP scouts mirrored a lot of what I’ve seen too.

On the whole, this defensive class may be a little overrated. Levshunov and Dickinson have hockey IQ questions. Yakemchuk has hockey IQ and skating questions. Parekh has physicality and defensive questions. Silayev has puck-handling and offensive questions. And Buium has translatability questions, though I believe in him the most.

All this to say that I’d be thrilled with any of those defensemen at 14, but holy hell are well lucky to have Macklin. I don’t envy the teams in the 2-5 range that have to distill something from this mess.
I'd be curious to hear what they have to say about Demidov.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'd be curious to hear what they have to say about Demidov.
He’s firmly locked into the #2 spot for them and has been all year. They believe he has as high or maybe higher offensive upside than Celebrini, though they don’t think there’s any debate or argument for Demidov at #1. They think he’s a potential superstar offensively, only real knocks on him aside from the league he plays in is perhaps that he overhandles the puck at times and his skating stride is a little weird.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
He’s firmly locked into the #2 spot for them and has been all year. They believe he has as high or maybe higher offensive upside than Celebrini, though they don’t think there’s any debate or argument for Demidov at #1. They think he’s a potential superstar offensively, only real knocks on him aside from the league he plays in is perhaps that he overhandles the puck at times and his skating stride is a little weird.
A weird skating stride isn’t so bad. Curious if Chicago takes him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad