Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018
I think the Sharks should consider moving up and grab Zeev Buium (D). The problem he might be gone by 9 or 10. Also, for the Sharks to jump up to 9th Calgary or 10th NJ might want 3 picks #14, #33, and #42 altogether to move up a few spots. So it is worth it to move up and get an NHL quality player or stay put and roll the dice on 3 mediocre players that might have some issues?
I say trade the picks and move up because there are only a few slots left in each organization each year and to keep these picks and to add 9 more players. Where are they going to go?
If Zeev gets past Utah at 6 and Seattle at 8 I'll be shocked and willing to offer a lot to NJ to swap picks. I think Zeev is going to be a star.

Reactions: Star Platinum

SoftDumpInTheCorner

Jun 29, 2010
Man Jose
If Helenius magically drops to 14, there is no way Grier passes up on him. Even if he's not an organization "fit", this team needs to be drafting best player available as there are still lots of holes to fill.

Worst case scenario you have an elite 3C or a good 2C and that forces Smith or Helenius to play with Celebrini. Or you could use Helenius as a trade chip to fill holes later with NHL ready players.

Many of the scouting orgs/mocks have this guy all over the top 10 and it would be a gift to get him at 14. This draft not having a real defined consensus top 5 is going to let a few gems fall to the mid and late 1st round.
Screenshot 2024-06-01 204226.jpg

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
If Helenius magically drops to 14, there is no way Grier passes up on him. Even if he's not an organization "fit", this team needs to be drafting best player available as there are still lots of holes to fill.

Worst case scenario you have an elite 3C or a good 2C and that forces Smith or Helenius to play with Celebrini. Or you could use Helenius as a trade chip to fill holes later with NHL ready players.

Many of the scouting orgs/mocks have this guy all over the top 10 and it would be a gift to get him at 14. This draft not having a real defined consensus top 5 is going to let a few gems fall to the mid and late 1st round.
I would say this draft has a pretty consensus Top 4 and a pretty consensus Top 10. Picks 11-13 almost anything could happen.

The two things I feel comfortable about predicting is that there is very little chance that a Top 6 defenseman falls to 14 and a pretty good chance that a good forward prospect is going to fall to 14. At that point, we'll see what Grier does, but my hope is that if we can't trade up to get a defenseman that we take the good forward at 14 and don't reach for the next best defenseman.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Seems wasteful, I could live with Catton but if you're going to take him it would be such a waste of Celebrini to pair him with a defensive liability instead of other players who are hard to play against. I don't like his implication that Emery is the only good defensive player needed to build a future defense.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I would say this draft has a pretty consensus Top 4 and a pretty consensus Top 10. Picks 11-13 almost anything could happen.

The two things I feel comfortable about predicting is that there is very little chance that a Top 6 defenseman falls to 14 and a pretty good chance that a good forward prospect is going to fall to 14. At that point, we'll see what Grier does, but my hope is that if we can't trade up to get a defenseman that we take the good forward at 14 and don't reach for the next best defenseman.
By the time of the draft, it may very well be that Emery and Solberg are not seen as quite such a big reach at 14. If Button thinks Emery is the same as Silayev and all his NTDP teammates say he's the hardest to go against, and his biggest knock was offense but he showed pretty well joining the rush and scoring a goal at junior worlds plus his dad is a pro football player meaning he has the tools to add hand eye skills... Or, Solberg is a late riser and now being comped to Mo Seider as underrated because he comes from a non traditional league, but just looked really good against men at worlds... I will personally be excited if the staff is confident enough to pick either. If they go with a forward, great, we'll be adding a good prospect either way.

Preemptive edit: yes, I know, the rankings say it would be a reach. But the rankings are likely behind/not representative of where NHL teams are ranking players going into and coming out of the combine. Rumor mill should be churning this week and it'll be very interesting to see what we're hearing.

Last edited:

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood

Many of the scouting orgs/mocks have this guy all over the top 10 and it would be a gift to get him at 14. This draft not having a real defined consensus top 5 is going to let a few gems fall to the mid and late 1st round. View attachment 878631
I don't see Helenius, a center, dropping too far to be honest. I'd love to snag him at #14, absolutely.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Helenius would actually be a dream defensive/matchup focused 3C. Then with Celebrini as 1C and Eklund 2LW you have at least 1 responsible forward on each line.

Other options would be draft MBN who could be our Ryan Leonard throw on any line type.

Realistically we're probably just taking whoever "falls" to 14 and it could be anyone not named Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson, Lindstrom or Iginla.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't see Helenius, a center, dropping too far to be honest. I'd love to snag him at #14, absolutely.
You never know, I wouldn’t be terribly shocked to see him there at 14. Personally I do think he translates to center at the NHL level (the only guy in the top-15 other than Macklin I can say that about), but he’s 5’11”, not a burner, and did disappoint at international tournaments all year. Plus, rightly or wrongly, I think Finnish prospects have a bit of a stigma right now after some pretty high profile busts lately.

Frankly I don’t think he’s a great fit for the Sharks, as we have our centers set and need someone with size and speed, but he’s such good value at 14 I think you just have to take him anyway.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
You never know, I wouldn’t be terribly shocked to see him there at 14. Personally I do think he translates to center at the NHL level (the only guy in the top-15 other than Macklin I can say that about), but he’s 5’11”, not a burner, and did disappoint at international tournaments all year. Plus, rightly or wrongly, I think Finnish prospects have a bit of a stigma right now after some pretty high profile busts lately.

Frankly I don’t think he’s a great fit for the Sharks, as we have our centers set and need someone with size and speed, but he’s such good value at 14 I think you just have to take him anyway.

I’m not super read into the thing, but is the “stigma” about recent crops of Finnish prospects just not meeting the mark offensively at the NHL level? Offensive projections consistently not materializing?

I feel like I’ve read that between the lines in some commentary online, but I couldn’t point to anything specific.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’m not super read into the thing, but is the “stigma” about recent crops of Finnish prospects just not meeting the mark offensively at the NHL level? Offensive projections consistently not materializing?

I feel like I’ve read that between the lines in some commentary online, but I couldn’t point to anything specific.
Yup, at least from my perspective. A lot of the high-profile guys who scored a lot in Liiga have not been able to do so in the NHL. Particularly Puljujarvi and Kakko of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad