Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Would love to move up to 10 for Dickinson. Think he's an ideal guy as your 2/3 d-man for a decade or more.
I think there's a good chance he goes top-5. We'd have to move up quite a bit.

If he falls though I absolutely agree. For Dickinson or Silayev I'd throw 33 and 42 with 14 to move up to whatever is necessary. Neither would be flashy, but we could play them 20-25 mins a game and they would just be solid.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
New Mock by the Athletic. Sharks grab Tij at #14.

Seems like for this to happen, Lindstrom falls to CGY. A few wingers drafted before Tij (Eiserman, Sennecke). And Solberg at #13.
I really think Eiserman is one of those guys that scouts like but HF doesn’t like. From last year there were guys like Simashev, Danielson, But, Yager, Stenberg, Cowan all taken a bit higher than projected that all look good.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I think there's a good chance he goes top-5. We'd have to move up quite a bit.

If he falls though I absolutely agree. For Dickinson or Silayev I'd throw 33 and 42 with 14 to move up to whatever is necessary. Neither would be flashy, but we could play them 20-25 mins a game and they would just be solid.

Agreed. Levshunov feels like the prize, but I could see Dickinson, Silayev, Buium, Parekh, or Yakemchuk becoming the best D in the draft. That said, DIckinson and Silayev seem to have very, very high floors as well. Agree with you they are 20+ minute a night guys. I think if Dickinson only ended up #4 d-man you'd be disappointed. Size, skating, reach, good outlet pass, can rush the puck, and a good point shot is a nice package.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I've given up hope Iginla will be there at 14, but it's nice to fantasize about. I don't see him making out of the top 10.

I think Grier should focus on the Devs or Sabres to move up from 14. One of the 6 dmen should be available and he has the capital to make it happen.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I've given up hope Iginla will be there at 14, but it's nice to fantasize about. I don't see him making out of the top 10.

I think Grier should focus on the Devs or Sabres to move up from 14. One of the 6 dmen should be available and he has the capital to make it happen.
Moving up just for the sake of getting a D-Man as opposed to staying put and giving yourself more kicks at the can just doesn't seem to be wise strategy just to get 1 of the 6 as opposed to one that you really want. Better off staying at 14 and taking Solberg, or if he's gone as well (making it 7 D-Men in 13 picks off the board) getting a very good wing at 14 (MBN, Iginla, or Sennecke) to compliment the young center group we have and offer a variety of skillset as bigger power forward types.

Reactions: Sendhelplease

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Moving up just for the sake of getting a D-Man as opposed to staying put and giving yourself more kicks at the can just doesn't seem to be wise strategy just to get 1 of the 6 as opposed to one that you really want. Better off staying at 14 and taking Solberg, or if he's gone as well (making it 7 D-Men in 13 picks off the board) getting a very good wing at 14 (MBN, Iginla, or Sennecke) to compliment the young center group we have and offer a variety of skillset as bigger power forward types.

I feel like if you’re Grier you call every team before you to ask what it would take to make a trade.

Then, you have your guys you love and you watch the draft and decide if you want to pull the trigger or stay. If something crazy happens like Buium drops to 9 or something, you absolutely try and grab him.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Yeah I think the top-10 locks are:

Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson, Lindstrom, Buium, Iginla. Obviously there's only 8 of them. But that means our option at 14 is going to be who's left of:

Yakemchuk, Parekh, Sennecke, Helenius, Eiserman, Catton, or MBN.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

I'm not arguing surrendering every pick to move up. 14 and 42 should be a tantalizing offer and enough to move up a few spots. It's just a matter of leapfrogging Philly and Minny.

The difference between a Parekh, Dickinson, Buuim, and Yakemchuk is a giant step from Solberg and worth giving up one of the 2nds the Sharks currently hold.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
More picks is almost always wrong if you have any confidence in the player. There has to be a concrete reason why you wouldn't trade up as opposed to it being the default.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
More picks is almost always wrong if you have any confidence in the player. There has to be a concrete reason why you wouldn't trade up as opposed to it being the default.
The evidence of how the draft tends to play out should temper confidence in 17 or 18 year olds past the top handful of picks at best most years. That's the concrete reason to not do such a thing. Everyone has confidence in who they pick whether they trade up or not and many times you trade up to draft a bust.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
New Mock by the Athletic. Sharks grab Tij at #14.

Seems like for this to happen, Lindstrom falls to CGY. A few wingers drafted before Tij (Eiserman, Sennecke). And Solberg at #13.
The Mock is interesting, as a "what would I do", but it's not a "what do we think the teams will do" and the journalists admit that clearly. Catton probably wouldn't go above Lindstrom at 5 unless the back issue is horrible and even if so they may go Iggy or Sennecke over Catton... My point being it's hard to see Iggy falling past the flames but who freaking knows what happens on the day.

As it is I think MBN may be a bit underrated so I'd also be really excited if we pick him at 14, I'd just rather solberg or Yakemchuk. Helenius just seems too much like Eklund or a mid range Smith outcome, which is basically what the guys said on the mock (go with the high end winger not the high floor center).

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The Mock is interesting, as a "what would I do", but it's not a "what do we think the teams will do" and the journalists admit that clearly. Catton probably wouldn't go above Lindstrom at 5 unless the back issue is horrible and even if so they may go Iggy or Sennecke over Catton... My point being it's hard to see Iggy falling past the flames but who freaking knows what happens on the day.

As it is I think MBN may be a bit underrated so I'd also be really excited if we pick him at 14, I'd just rather solberg or Yakemchuk. Helenius just seems too much like Eklund or a mid range Smith outcome, which is basically what the guys said on the mock (go with the high end winger not the high floor center).
Couldn't Helenius (or Smith for that matter) just play RW? Or be included in a package for a top pair D in a few years...

I don't see how we could justify passing on Helenius if he's available. His numbers this season were insane.

Jul 10, 2010
more kicks at the can is the logic for mid 20s and later picks. When you have a noted top 5/6 crop of dmen you do everything you can to grab one. Especially someone like Dickinson, who by all accounts has a high end floor but maybe not the #1 guy ceiling.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
more kicks at the can is the logic for mid 20s and later picks. When you have a noted top 5/6 crop of dmen you do everything you can to grab one. Especially someone like Dickinson, who by all accounts has a high end floor but maybe not the #1 guy ceiling.
I just have seen the movie too many times before with draft classes that supposedly have a hard fall off after pick ___ or have ___ number of guys at a certain position before there's some massive fall off to see through the noise and not fall for it again.

We somehow see it every year that _____ draft is weak or strong at _____ spot and somehow almost every year the production from said draft class winds up basically being about the exact same. This idea that the #6 guy is really going to be markedly better than #7 on defense just is highly unlikely based on historical evidence.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I just have seen the movie too many times before with draft classes that supposedly have a hard fall off after pick ___ or have ___ number of guys at a certain position before there's some massive fall off to see through the noise and not fall for it again.

We somehow see it every year that _____ draft is weak or strong at _____ spot and somehow almost every year the production from said draft class winds up basically being about the exact same. This idea that the #6 guy is really going to be markedly better than #7 on defense just is highly unlikely based on historical evidence.
I wish we could pin this post at the top of every page of every thread about prospects or the draft.

Reactions: Sendhelplease

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Couldn't Helenius (or Smith for that matter) just play RW? Or be included in a package for a top pair D in a few years...

I don't see how we could justify passing on Helenius if he's available. His numbers this season were insane.
Are we talking about the same Helenius? Numbers were insane perhaps for his age in the Liiga, but the upside for him is all about his hockey sense and playing with men and Olli Jokinen (Coach) saying he's ready for the NHL now. Upside comp being Aho. His downside story is that he's not very big (5'11") and it's all about his hockey sense - same story as Eklund when drafted, same kind of discussion too about "he's so smart, maybe he should go 2nd" but then falls to us at 7.

Iggy is more like a Leonard style player - may not hit his ceiling, may not be very big for a W, but fast riser with goal scoring skill and some sandpaper on the boards. He and MBN seem similar to me honestly. I think it fits the need Helenius to me just seems a bit too "same as what we already have".

Realistically, UTA, OTT, and SEA are all highly likely to take a D so probably to one of them.

• Wow

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Are we talking about the same Helenius? Numbers were insane perhaps for his age in the Liiga, but the upside for him is all about his hockey sense and playing with men and Olli Jokinen (Coach) saying he's ready for the NHL now. Upside comp being Aho. His downside story is that he's not very big (5'11") and it's all about his hockey sense - same story as Eklund when drafted, same kind of discussion too about "he's so smart, maybe he should go 2nd" but then falls to us at 7.

Iggy is more like a Leonard style player - may not hit his ceiling, may not be very big for a W, but fast riser with goal scoring skill and some sandpaper on the boards. He and MBN seem similar to me honestly. I think it fits the need Helenius to me just seems a bit too "same as what we already have".

Realistically, UTA, OTT, and SEA are all highly likely to take a D so probably to one of them.
His draft year numbers were better than the best prospects to recently come out of Liiga like Lundell, Aho and Laine.

I would take Helenius and deal with the redundancies later. We can always include him or Eklund in a trade for a defenseman in the next few years.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
His draft year numbers were better than the best prospects to recently come out of Liiga like Lundell, Aho and Laine.

I would take Helenius and deal with the redundancies later. We can always include him or Eklund in a trade for a defenseman in the next few years.
And I wouldn't. I mean, it's all hazy this year. Helenius may go 10th or fall to Detroit or further.

• Wow

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
And I wouldn't. I mean, it's all hazy this year. Helenius may go 10th or fall to Detroit or further.
It seemed like he was a consensus top 10 pick all year long. I never thought we would have a chance at him with the Penguins pick.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
It seemed like he was a consensus top 10 pick all year long. I never thought we would have a chance at him with the Penguins pick.
But he was never consensus top 5, and Iginla is a strong riser since January. FWIW Iggy had a very strong worlds and Helenius was invisible. His stock hasn't fallen much but it hasn't kept up with where he was early in the year.

Either player would be a good addition to the pool, alongside many others, so we are just debating personal preferences at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad