Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Hey Goldobin looks good in the KHL! Still a chance
He also scored 27 points in 63 games for the Canucks in 2018-2019, so it’s not like he didn’t have NHL skill. I’m assuming they were empty-calorie points on a bad team, but that’s not nothing.

Well I’m on the east coast so i think Buium will probably have to fall to 14 for me to hear you from Vegas :laugh:
14th overall picks ranked by how far you’d hear me:

Buium, Dickinson, Iginla, Lindstrom: You’d hear me from the streets of New Jersey
Parekh, Catton, Yakemchuk, Sennecke: Pop-off heard from the Tank
Helenius, Jiricek, Brandsegg-Nygard, Solberg: Polite golf clap and head nod of approval
Eiserman: You’d hear me from the streets of New Jersey but it would be a different sound

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Ugh, me too. And I loved Nikolai Goldobin, he was so good with the Cuda I still have trouble believing he didn’t pan out. Not just scoring but he looked phenomenal.

Good thing we have Kevin Labanc!
Alexis Vanier was definitely going to be the next Sheldon Souray.

Reactions: Gecklund

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Everyone please forgive me for bringing this burning pain to the front of your minds, but another thought on Solberg; kinda gives me Mirco Mueller vibes..

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
for those who didn't want to listen, here's a 5-10min summary read, Morehouse is our Dir Amateur Scouting:
  • Conversation with Macklin didn't reveal much. Talked about his injury, talked about growing up in Vancouver, talked very briefly about the Warriors, revealed nothing about whether he is planning to sign or go back (seems silly) - the hosts said he really did seem like he's being thoughtful about whether to come to SJ or not. Seems generally very laid back. Talked about Eiserman as "one of my best friends." Talked about video review with Jay Pandolfo at BU. Talked about Bedard "a magician on the ice." No superstitions, not much routine before games, wrist shot over slapshot.
  • Convo with Chris Morehouse. Talked about Celebrini off ice, "everything you read and hear about the kid is true, family did an incredible job," etc. All glowing reviews, he just "has it." Talked about how the kids that "have it" stand out, cited interviewing Makar in the past asking scouts questions, talked about Bedard having "it" as well. Says "compete" is the one thing that's always present in the best and important to them. Says they really want to let Macklin decide what he wants to do next year - what's best for him and the future.
  • "We also have 14, 33, and 42, really good opportunity to continue building what we put together last year."
  • 70 interviews this week, get as much info as they can, talk to as many kids before they become property of other teams. Trying to build info on psychology, physiology.
  • Club's philosophy behind drafting: "Don't want to reveal too much, but an eye on where you are, an eye on where you want to go, but also keep thinking about not drafting players like you already have because it diminishes that asset."
  • On pick 14: BPA, or leaning toward a player type? "Hard question to answer but in that area you're gravitating toward talent aspect. Some situations where you start to consider need, want, best talent available, but also draft kid with best situation to succeed." "The media starts the list, then everyone reacts to that... the idea BPA from the media might not be what ours is. A value of a player on our team might not be the value of the player on another team. You have to pay attention, but you have to keep a mindset that there's a lot of noise. Our job is to figure out if the media is right or who is falling between gaps."
  • "Everybody likes the clear cut 1 vs 2, we get why the press does it. We get central scouting's list as well, they work their tails off, it's just more we have to figure out the middle ground of 'the general talent list' versus what works for us."
  • "The best part about Mike (Grier) is the communication, inclusivity, I always know where his head's at and where we want to go, the team we're trying to build. We have a really unique opportunity to have an impact on how the Sharks look for the next 5-10 years."
  • Asked about Jiricek and Lindstrom: "we get all the medical info we can, both kids played a lot underage and enough international events, both kids played enough that teams will have an idea, more about where are we at with the injury today. Both injuries require you to make sure that they're going to heal properly and be OK. Seems like they're both on their way. Now it's ultimately figuring out if they're healthy."
  • "Yes, it's tough not having the Russian kids here. We're lucky, the agencies are putting together camps."
  • "When you're looking at the good prospect pool before and this year, what's the excitement level for what you're building in San Jose?" -- "For us, it's just one step at a time. Sounds cliche and it is. Last year was my first draft in San Jose, we had a process in place and executed and felt really good about the draft. Credit our scouts for that. If we can end every year saying all our prospects have a chance to play... no one wants to admit it, but you know pretty early if they don't have a chance... they show up to the prospect game and you say 'uh oh...' if we can end every year saying our prospects took a step, that's all we want to try and do." "Build up that foundation and get to the point where Mike can start trading all our picks away (laughs)."
  • He played with Brad Marchand -- says he could see the competitiveness in Junior even if it was a bit rough/troubled. "exceptional athlete, exceptionally competitive. There's an example of he is what he is because he was so highly talented, but also smart, adapted down to 4th line, worked his way up, doesn't surprise me because he's driven to be the best."
My takeaway: whoever we draft at 14 is going to be really competitive and driven. And we're not likely to take a player that looks like other players in our pipeline if we have too much of an archetype (e.g. big 2-3rd line C/W, possibly smaller skilled W). I could see them evaluating Eiserman and saying "he wants to win so badly, he just needs guidance how to do it better than he currently does." We'll see. MBN, Solberg, Jiricek all still in play, all about Jiricek's knee.
You the real MVP.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Eiserman: You’d hear me from the streets of New Jersey but it would be a different sound
vader-noooo.gif

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Fantastic transcription @coooldude. I just finished the interview myself and two things stood out to me:

"Hard question to answer but in that area you're gravitating toward talent aspect. Some situations where you start to consider need, want, best talent available, but also draft kid with best situation to succeed."
I really like to hear this. It’s not just about taking the “best” player or the “best fit”, but rather the player who is most likely to have success in your organization. Don’t draft a guy who you feel like you have to mold to your org, you draft a guy whose strengths are exactly what you want.

“Last year was my first draft in San Jose, we had a process in place and executed and felt really good about the draft. Credit our scouts for that. If we can end every year saying all our prospects have a chance to play... no one wants to admit it, but you know pretty early if they don't have a chance... they show up to the prospect game and you say 'uh oh...' if we can end every year saying our prospects took a step, that's all we want to try and do."
I feel like this flies in the face of the HF Boards style “be patient, he literally just got drafted” mindset… but I completely agree. There are outliers who change significantly post being drafted, but I feel like you can watch a prospect and there’s a bit of a je ne sais quoi to them where you can tell “this guy is a future player” or “we won’t be tendering him a contract in three years”.

I also think it’s pretty funny that Morehouse mentioned just about every prospect we drafted last year as “took a step”… except Svoboda. :laugh:

GRANdSharks

Mar 14, 2018
Everyone please forgive me for bringing this burning pain to the front of your minds, but another thought on Solberg; kinda gives me Mirco Mueller vibes..
they dont necessarily seem similar at all from a playstyle perspective, its been a while and i have scrubbed that pick from my memory, but mueller's physicality was one of his biggest weaknesses, Solberg has that aspect of his game in spades, and is a much different defender at this stage imo. Mueller was very raw and was completely ruined by getting rushed to the NHL

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
i dont necessarily similar at all from a playstyle perspective, its been a while and i have scrubbed that pick from my memory, but mueller's physicality was one of his biggest weaknesses, Solberg has that aspect of his game in spades, and is a much different defender at this stage imo. Mueller was very raw and was completely ruined by getting rushed to the NHL
I haven’t seen enough of Solberg to make the call, but Mueller’s issue is that there just wasn’t anything there. He was a big guy who could skate and that was literally it. I don’t feel like that’s Solberg, though I obviously don’t know the player well.

I hated the Mueller pick from the get. I have a memory of actually yelling at my television.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
He also scored 27 points in 63 games for the Canucks in 2018-2019, so it’s not like he didn’t have NHL skill. I’m assuming they were empty-calorie points on a bad team, but that’s not nothing.

Buium, Dickinson, Iginla, Lindstrom: You’d hear me from the streets of New Jersey
Helenius, Jiricek, Brandsegg-Nygard, Solberg: Polite golf clap and head nod of approval

Good to know if we draft Eiserman that I’ll be able to explain to my neighbors what that wailing sound in the distance is and that they do not need to board up their houses.

knu

Feb 28, 2012
Fremont CA
Based on the wording I don't think it's crazy for the staff to take Eisermans. He brings a talent that is currently missing, different, you might say. Has the drive, but just lacks 2 way fundamentals. Also the "best friend" line makes me think celebrini can help him grow maybe.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Based on the wording I don't think it's crazy for the staff to take Eisermans. He brings a talent that is currently missing, different, you might say. Has the drive, but just lacks 2 way fundamentals. Also the "best friend" line makes me think celebrini can help him grow maybe.
I think so too. Some may be overlooking that he’s going to Minnesota for college. He’s going to learn and grow there.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

I don't see you making a different sound all the way to NJ haha based on the multiple times Grier has stated what he wants in a player, and Eiserman lacks all of it. Unless Celebrini straight up demands his buddy Cole on his wing for the next 10 years (and despite the #Boston/BU memes), I think the odds of Eiserman becoming a Shark are very low.

MBN and Solberg certainly fit the Grier mold but don't have the upside, so I think he still takes a guy like Sennecke, Helenius, Yakemchuk, or Parekh if one of them drops. Catton I am less certain about, and I don't see Jiricek either to be honest. Grier has preached patience, and I don't think he reaches for Jiricek just because he fits a "need." And obviously Grier will run to the podium faster than you can start popping off yourself if one of Igilna, Dickinson, or Buium drops somehow.

Reactions: Sandisfan

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
See above.
"His decision to switch his commitment from Minnesota to BU? To be closer to his dad, who was diagnosed with cancer, underwent surgery and is now in remission.“ It was all family. I’ve been away from home for so long. Being closer to home was really important to them, and it would mean a lot to me. It wasn’t a hockey decision at all,” Eiserman said"

May-be his bad season is due, in part, to his dad's cancer?

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
"His decision to switch his commitment from Minnesota to BU? To be closer to his dad, who was diagnosed with cancer, underwent surgery and is now in remission.“ It was all family. I’ve been away from home for so long. Being closer to home was really important to them, and it would mean a lot to me. It wasn’t a hockey decision at all,” Eiserman said"

May-be his bad season is due, in part, to his dad's cancer?
I now just feel bad for the kid. No 17 year old should have to deal with that. I can't imagine it has helped his season or development at all.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Desperately waiting for combine rumors and Friday's physical testing...
  1. Kiviharju says he was still hurt at worlds, hoping he's graded on a curve
  2. Solberg and MBN are best friends and currently roommates at the combine

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I haven’t seen enough of Solberg to make the call, but Mueller’s issue is that there just wasn’t anything there. He was a big guy who could skate and that was literally it. I don’t feel like that’s Solberg, though I obviously don’t know the player well.

I hated the Mueller pick from the get. I have a memory of actually yelling at my television.
I was so mad haha thought the trade up was to grab Mantha. Not that Mantha did much but at least he had a career

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad