Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Yes. And every time I have it’s because you can potentially move them later down the line after pumping their value and they can help us be a playoff team now given their age.

It’s hilarious how hard it is for you and Empo to comprehend this. Shouldn’t be surprised I guess.

I could probably copy and paste one of your posts and you’d tell me I was wrong.

Laps just was a top performer on the Calder Cup winning Bears. Caps have him, Miro, Leonard, a 1st round this year, as well as Strome, PLD and McMichael as a decent young nucleus to build around.

Sounds like a roster that will be just good enough like the Minneslta Wild.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I'm fine not going after that guy. Saros about to re-sign?
Askarov:

b5644bd6-0265-4a60-8b98-07545d6c4034_text.gif

Reactions: Goodleaf

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sounds like a roster that will be just good enough like the Minneslta Wild.

Sounds like Penguins fans coping that the Capitals will be relevant for the next 5 years while we watch Mike Sullivan stumble around the benches wondering what happened.

All of those people work for the Washington Capitals I presume?

Everyone knows he’s capable of being a good player. Everyone also knows he’s capable of being mediocre and mentally checking out. I’m predicting an initial boost due to new environment that will fizzle out until Caps fans want to strangle him in about a year and a half.

This idea that people have been unhappy with PLD everywhere he went is weird.

Jets fans loved him. CBJ fans thought he was their franchise center.

He had a bad year in LA. He has a chip on his shoulder and he's actually going to get to play with actual NHL talent versus Laferriere.

Is he going to be above a 60 pt player? I doubt it, but look at the players making 8 mil.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sounds like Penguins fans coping that the Capitals will be relevant for the next 5 years while we watch Mike Sullivan stumble around the benches wondering what happened.

He had a bad year in LA. He has a chip on his shoulder and he's actually going to get to play with actual NHL talent versus Laferriere.

Is he going to be above a 60 pt player? I doubt it, but look at the players making 8 mil.

If you love the Capitals so much, maybe you should just become a fan of them and go on their board

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Being annoyed with the Pens being directionless is fine but acting like the Caps are some kind of well run organization with a plan is hilarious. They have made their sole focus to get Ovechkin the record and thats it.

The Capitals have sold pieces and have a method to what they are doing. The Caps can afford to give up a 2nd because they have been making smart moves. They've also won a cup more recently than us and have more playoff appearances than us. They are doing exactly what people are acting like Dubas is doing / what Hextall was "trying" to do.

1719540310391.png

If you love the Capitals so much, maybe you should just become a fan of them and go on their board

If you love the Penguins so much, why don't you actually watch the games?

All you did last season was complain about the Penguins too. It's funny how when you do it, it's well thought out and noble, but when someone else does it I should become a fan of the Caps.

Different fans like to do different things. The Dubas / FSG Penguins era has been dark so far.

No rhyme or reason to our moves. No focus on the future or now. Just a team floating around with Crosby being the only rudder.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
How is it not silly? Would you be pleased about this team spending a 2nd round pick on a 1 year rental like Mangiapane?

Mangiapane had the same level of production as Smith last year and has been hovering at that level for a couple of years now. If Dubas traded a 2nd for a guy like Mangiapane right now, this board would be livid.
1 year of term isn’t as bad as you make it out to be, especially on a reclamation project with a questionable cap hit. It’s probably better than more years of term. They can recoup some or all of their initial investment at the TDL depending on how he plays. Or if he fits well, keep him. Or if it goes horribly.. they lost a 2nd. Even in that worst case odds are who ever is picked is not as good of a player as Mangiapane. The lack of term = options.

Like I said I’d prefer not to do that trade because no money went the other way and the Pens don’t have a ton of flexibility and over $10mm tied up in Rakell and Smith. But it’s far from silly.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The Capitals have sold pieces and have a method to what they are doing. The Caps can afford to give up a 2nd because they have been making smart moves. They've also won a cup more recently than us and have more playoff appearances than us. They are doing exactly what people are acting like Dubas is doing / what Hextall was "trying" to do.

View attachment 888370
Its nice that the Caps acquired some assets but other than that how have they chosen a direction? They are nowhere close to a contender but also havent shown any willingness to tank. They acquire all these picks but are then acquiring meh guys like Dubois and Mangiapane who dont move the needle at all. As you've graciously pointed out many times, the Pens dont have anyone to trade that holds any sort of value. The organization has also commited to the core so they cant sell off auxiliary pieces like the caps have.

I think most of us understand that the Pens are still trying to compete (albiet badly) so the rest of Sid's career will just be spent treading water hoping good players fall into our lap.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

I would much rather be in or near the basement retooling for the future than be mediocre.

To each their own I guess.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Its nice that the Caps acquired some assets but other than that how have they chosen a direction? They are nowhere close to a contender but also havent shown any willingness to tank. They acquire all these picks but are then acquiring meh guys like Dubois and Mangiapane who dont move the needle at all. As you've graciously pointed out many times, the Pens dont have anyone to trade that holds any sort of value. The organization has also commited to the core so they cant sell off auxiliary pieces like the caps have.

I think most of us understand that the Pens are still trying to compete (albiet badly) so the rest of Sid's career will just be spent treading water hoping good players fall into our lap.

The Capitals are in the same exact position as us only they have a treasure trove of prospects and picks.

They have made the right decisions.

Most of this is on Hextall not trading pieces like Rust and Zucker. But some of it lies with Dubas in terms of Graves and other deals.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The Capitals are in the same exact position as us only they have a treasure trove of prospects and picks.

They have made the right decisions.

Most of this is on Hextall not trading pieces like Rust and Zucker. But some of it lies with Dubas in terms of Graves and other deals.
Capitals have as many bad contracts and signings as us - Oshie and Backstrom are corpses, they signed Wilson long term, they trade for PLD, they have a couple middle ground dmen playing top 4 roles...I mean, we get you don't like Dubas but using Washington as some shining example of hockey team management is just flat out bizarre. Even for you.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Capitals have as many bad contracts and signings as us - Oshie and Backstrom are corpses, they signed Wilson long term, they trade for PLD, they have a couple middle ground dmen playing top 4 roles...I mean, we get you don't like Dubas but using Washington as some shining example of hockey team management is just flat out bizarre. Even for you.

Backstrom is on LTIR. Contract is over next year.

Oshie is on LTIR. Contract is over next year.

You got no clue what you are talking about.

Shake off the black and gold glasses.

Caps have a better future outlook and a better here in the now outlook.

Let's see if Dubas can pull a rabbit tomorrow or over the weekend.

Otherwise next year is going to be the middest of the mid.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Anyways.

Some rabbit Dubas can pull.

Somehow acquire McGroarty. Would be huge.

Somehow trade Jarry's contract. Who cares what comes back as long as it isn't an ugly contract. Not sure who would take him on, but if he can get out of Jarry and return something that is either a LHD that can elevate above Graves or a cheaper goaltender that'd be great. I wish Utah didn't have Ingram because a Vej for Jarry deal would be something I'd die for.

If he's unable to do either of the above. He needs to focus on not spending cap on UFA.

There is literally nothing that fits what we need in this roster available in UFA outside of maybe Yakov Trenin.

If we are looking around the league at young centers he could target that may be available...

Payton Krebs
Cole Perfetti
Marco Rossi

Potential RFAs that may not be qualified or that we could potentially target..

Isac Lundestrom
Urho Vaakanainen
Blake Lizotte
Erik Brannstrom
Jacob Bryson
Taylor Raddysh
Alexandre Texier
Yegor Zamula
Ryan Johnson

Reactions: Jacob

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
It's clear that's not what I meant. There are $6M middle-six wings who can be had in a couple days who are FAR better than Mangiapane without giving up assets.

He's a worse offensive player than Smith and he's a f***ing midget, which makes him laughably overpaid for what he brings.

He had one good year. The entirety of the rest of his body of work proves that year was an obscene outlier. No sane person would want him at more than $4M. Fair for him is probably closer to $3.5.

Kindergarten Kyle should be really busy right now, but not on shit players like Mangiapane. He should be trying to get out of bad contracts/fits like Jarry, Smith, and Acciari.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad