All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Just made my bracket. England over Spain in the final. Even with the injuries, I'm high on the Lionesses.

Hot take is that, based on my bracket, Spain upset USA in the QFs.

My dear Canada goes out to England in R16, unfortunately.

Reactions: Venkman

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Just made my bracket. England over Spain in the final. Even with the injuries, I'm high on the Lionesses.

Hot take is that, based on my bracket, Spain upset USA in the QFs.

My dear Canada goes out to England in R16, unfortunately.
Do you have Spain or United States not winning their group?

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I think this would have been more likely if Miedema wasn't injured, although it's not as though the US isn't dealing with a plethora of injuries themselves.
Miedema is a huge huge loss, but I have hope lmao.
I don’t even know if this is a hot take Spain is really good.
It's a hot take in conventional circles, though it shouldn't be. Their core is the core of arguably the greatest club team in the history of the women's game. They missed Putellas badly at the Euros last year, and still took the champions to extra time. She's not fully match-fit yet, but she's still the best player in the world.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Miedema is a huge huge loss, but I have hope lmao.

It's a hot take in conventional circles, though it shouldn't be. Their core is the core of arguably the greatest club team in the history of the women's game. They missed Putellas badly at the Euros last year, and still took the champions to extra time. She's not fully match-fit yet, but she's still the best player in the world.
Isn't there some turmoil between the Spanish team and its manager? Can't recall for certain.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Thought that was France? could also be Spain
Spain def did. I don't know about France.

The Spanish coach, it seems from what I have read, is a megalomaniacal asshole who also is not particularly tactically savvy. 15 players wrote a letter in the fall threatening to leave the national team if things were not fixed - including, notably, the actual quality of training (which they said paled in comparison to what they were doing at club level, especially at Barcelona Feminin), and the FA stood by the coach and said "fine we won't pick you" even though it was, basically, the entire core of the team sans Hermoso and Putellas (who The Athletic said both supported the letter nonetheless). But most of those core players are now back in the squad for the WC.

Would be a damn shame if a douchebag coach and a bad FA sabotaged a team that, on raw talent, should be as much of a force as the Men's team was from 2008-2012.

What is the biggest surprise people think we will see out of the group stage?
Netherlands over USA for top in that group.

Less of a surprise, but I have Australia over Canada. Canada's team defense is strong, but there's no stopping Sam Kerr.

Reactions: robertmac43

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
As a side note, as a Canadian and as a Chelsea fan, I will be enthusiastically watching Canada-Australia at 6:00am on July 31. The building of a Canadian contingent at Chelsea has been a fun subplot in the last year or two.
Fleming has been there since 2020, Buchanan joined last season, and Lawrence for next season. Good to see.

Reactions: Ben Grimm

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Not as high on the Lionesses as @Wee Baby Seamus. Did a quick bracket and Germany in the quarters could be tough. No home advantage this time, injuries, form and a dispute with the FA over bonuses could be a distraction during the tournament.

Currently have USA v Spain and Australia v Germany in the semis.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Norway had a great chance to equalize but the penalty shot was off the post. NZ 1-Norway 0 in stoppage time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad