All Bruins rumors/proposals: Reset and Sweenified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
The problem is that how do we make the D roster work after next season? We need to add a new top pairing D and then

Chara- Top D
Krug- Seidenberg
x-McQ

are locks, we have Zboril, Morrow, Linus, C.Miller, Carlo pushing into lineup, how will they get the chance if 5 spots are locked up for 2-3years?

If they bring in Franson it's even worse situation.

This is a good point. I don't think they're signing anyone.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The problem is that how do we make the D roster work after next season? We need to add a new top pairing D and then

Chara- Top D
Krug- Seidenberg
x-McQ

are locks, we have Zboril, Morrow, Linus, C.Miller, Carlo pushing into lineup, how will they get the chance if 5 spots are locked up for 2-3years?

I think Krug-Seidenberg is terrible. I don;t think either one of those guys is 2nd pairing worthy, but if forced to pick one I go Krug. Get rid of Seidenberg.

My plan would be this:

- Trade a forward (Loui, maybe Krejci) and futures for a solid RH d-man who can log top minutes.

My defense:

Chara-C. Miller
Krug-Player X
Morrow-McQuaid
K. Miller

If you keep Seidenberg and he regains his form, then he plays with the new guy, you slot Krug back to third pair with McQuaid and sit Morrow. Then when McQuaid gets hurt by November, you make adjustments.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
They dont need to do anything at this point. If they are going for it near the deadline then go after a top 4 guy. No sense in getting Franson and getting into cap hell again when we have more than a few guys ready for the leap. Morrow C Miller specifically. Also Arnession is right there as well.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think Krug-Seidenberg is terrible. I don;t think either one of those guys is 2nd pairing worthy, but if forced to pick one I go Krug. Get rid of Seidenberg.

My plan would be this:

- Trade a forward (Loui, maybe Krejci) and futures for a solid RH d-man who can log top minutes.

My defense:

Chara-C. Miller
Krug-Player X
Morrow-McQuaid
K. Miller

If you keep Seidenberg and he regains his form, then he plays with the new guy, you slot Krug back to third pair with McQuaid and sit Morrow. Then when McQuaid gets hurt by November, you make adjustments.

This team needs a topD and future #1D to replace Chara, wasting top wingers for 2nd pairing D just makes us worse. We should not spend any money to that 2nd pairing D, we must find that future #1D, without that you can't win. This team can't afford to trade Eriksson, if he would bring us a top pairing future #1D then sure, but for anything else no no no we can't afford that.

I'm not worried about our bottom4 after next year, I'm worried about our 1st pairing, Krug-Zboril-Linus-C.Miller-McQ-Morrow, you can build a strong 2nd/3rd pairing out of those guys for 2016 season, assets/cap we now use has to go to that top pairing D, 2nd overall pick from next years draft is my top choice right now.

We have no Chara replacement in the system and Chara is not prime beast Chara anymore, time is running out and it has to be found now(during the next 12months). It doesn't matter how well anyone will develop because without that #1D we can't win, just wasting everyones prime.

Zach Trotman will be playing in the top 4 opening night. It's set in stone IMO.

Then hell no to Franson.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
As much as I like what Sweeney has done with the forwards the fact that names like Trotman (who reminds me of the second coming of Hal Gill, big, slow and soft) and Linus Arnesson are even being mentioned as potential candidates to make this team is terrifying,
I get Franson in and after next season when Seidenbergs contract ends you hope one of C. Miller, Morrow, Zboril or Carlo are ready to play 15+ minutes a night. I think Carlo will require a few more years than that to mature into a top 6 D but hopefully Zboril will be ready.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Honestly, I wouldn't hate seeing Krug getting a shot next to Z. He could very well get exposed, but if we want him to take that next step and earn his $ he needs the opportunity.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
We might not want to expose those young D men to the expansion draft coming up and will likely keep them in the A an extra year and go with a vet if it means not having to protect them. We'll probably only play 1-2 young guys until after that.

Franson on a Beleskey like team friendly deal works for me.

4 for 20 and he has one year post Chara.

If no I go Oduya 1 year 5 mil give him a nice big 1 year deal with the Savard savings.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
If the intention all along is to flip the player at the deadline, why not just leave the roster spot open for one of the prospects like C. Miller, Trotman, or Morrow? If you're looking towards '16-'17 as the year when we're competitive again, then having those three get as much NHL ice time as possible in a throw away season is more valuable than bringing in Franson for 60 games.

You are not thinking like a Jacobs. It may be a bridge year, but JJ gotta be paid, and that means a lucrative playoff gate.

Simply as a fan, with the addition of a 4 D, and/or Franson, and a suitable backup for Rask (if that's not Smith), the B's are capable of making the playoffs. Sweeney owes it to players like Patrice & Z to at least attempt a run, and as the manager of a proud organization, I believe he has every intention of doing so. From a developmental perspective, playoff experience will be invaluable to the maturation of their young players, too.

This is a major retool, but given all the moves that have been made & those presumably in the offing, there's no reason the Bruins can't be a playoff team. No longer a favorite, which perhaps is a good thing.

If they bring physicality & an aggressive edge, *&* a greater emphasis on speed/skill, it may not be long before the B's are again a team no one wants to play against.

That would be pretty cool, eh?

Last edited:

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
As much as I like what Sweeney has done with the forwards the fact that names like Trotman (who reminds me of the second coming of Hal Gill, big, slow and soft) and Linus Arnesson are even being mentioned as potential candidates to make this team is terrifying,
I get Franson in and after next season when Seidenbergs contract ends you hope one of C. Miller, Morrow, Zboril or Carlo are ready to play 15+ minutes a night. I think Carlo will require a few more years than that to mature into a top 6 D but hopefully Zboril will be ready.

Trotman is underrated by plenty on these boards. He's a lot of things, but slow isn't one of them. He has some Stralman in his game.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

I went to only one Providence game last year, but Trotman was the best player on the ice, at least that night.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I went to only one Providence game last year, but Trotman was the best player on the ice, at least that night.

^^ This has been said many times in many different games from different posters. He also looked great down the stretch for the Bruins. This is the perfect season to let a guy like Trotman prove he's got what it takes to be a steady top 4 guy. He's at that age to where most young dmen either get it or don't and his current progression arc shows that he's getting it. Give him a chance IMO.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

My plan would be this:

My defense:

Chara-C. Miller
Krug-Player X
Morrow-McQuaid
K. Miller

I agree the D is awful right now. But I don't think a "solid RH d-man" is going to fix it, long term.

Our first priority is to find a future #1D to replace Hamilton. There is no way in hell we're ever going to contend again without having at least an top D to lead our group. And while I have high hopes for Miller, Morrow, etc, I don't think any have the upside to be that #1D. We need a Keith, a Seabrook, a Doughty, Hedman, type leader moving forward, as Chara doesn't have much left in the tank. So, that, plus a solid RH d-man, as you suggest, would bring us back into respectability.

Without those two moves, we're going to be scraping into the playoffs, which is awful because it means we also won't draft high enough to acquire an elite D.

And I don't see any easy answers.

Deedot

I'm your Huckelberry
Mar 21, 2002
New York
Visit site
It would be nice for Trotman and our other young & inexperienced D-man to get a chance to play without fear of making a mistake. You can't learn if you don't play and if you are always worried about getting benched if you make a mistake you will never take risks. This is the one fear I have with Julien returning. Will he allow his youthful players a chance to strut their stuff or will the same old Claude mentality (bench the yutes, play the vets, chip off the glass under pressure) return.

Time will tell but I for one would like to see what we truly have with the many young D options before seeking out another more experienced & high priced body. That's my .02 cents FWIW.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I don't want anything to do with any of the UFA d-men currently unsigned.

When we went to the finals against the Hawks we had Chara-Seids-Hamilton-Bart-Krug-McQuaid-Miller- Johnny B. It was a revolving door of injuries that playoffs. But I remember Bart and Krug being in the line up at the same time.

To date we have Chara-Seids-Krug-McQuaid-Miller-Trotman-Morrow-C. Miller. Whether people want to focus on last season to validate their opinion or focus on a larger sample size, like the last 2-3-4 years will depend on how you think the D will perform. I personally think Seids will come back stronger this season and have a huge bounce back year for us. I think Chara as well will be a monster. Those guys are a solid 2 guys to have in your top 4. The other 6 guys mentioned are arguably 4-7 type d-men. There's no proven #3 out of those guys. But I feel the potential is there. Johnny B is paid as a #1 dman in NY, we took him up as a career AHL guy with low potential and low and behold, look what he has turned into.

Take a look at the d core in Tampa, the runner up this season. Besides Hedman, how many true #2-3-4 guys do they have in their system? They had Garrison, Sustr, Stralman, Carle, Coburn. Does that jump off the page to you? The difference is the played an up-tempo game, their forwards were defensively responsible, and had a good goaltender.

We have a GREAT goaltender, we now have a faster set of forwards than we had last season, I feel we don't need to beat to death our defense. Yeah if Shattenkirk or Seabrook become available you try and land them, but the UFA's available now do nothing for us that we can't get from "the 6" mentioned above(excluding Chara and Seids). If we really want to do something, lets get a proven back up tender so Tuukka doesn't have to throw fits after finally getting a rest after 22 games, only to be called upon in the 1st period. I also wouldn't mind moving Kelly(3 mill) and grabbing Sharper from the Hawks to improve our top 6.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
lot of interesting stuff on Franson in this article

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...in-on-unrestricted-free-agency-175843792.html

Franson was a victim of being a good defenseman in the wrong situation. All of his underlying numbers were phenomenal: When adjusting for score, he saw 56% of all total shot attempts go towards the opposing goaltender, more than any other Preds defenseman. He also was only on the ice for 23.85 shots per 60 minutes, the fewest of any blue liner since joining the team.

Remember all those times he made a mistake to cost the team a goal? Well, you probably remember way more of them than there actually are. He was only out for nine 5v5 goals against, also the fewest of any regular blue liner.

sure sounds like these two kids like each other but Boston isn't going near that Petry contract and his agent is trying one more attempt to get someone like the Penguins to create space and give him the 6/33- or a lot closer than what Boston is coming in at

he's getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much negative stuff here. I asked multiple folks that know his ability better than me and its universal they like him. If they get him on 3-4 year deal at $5 M or less I jump

I'm not sure about Sweeney relationship with this agent, whereas Beleskey's agent and Don have a great working relationship and fairness was the name of the game and the player wanted Boston; but this looks like the Bruins like Franson and he likes them but the bling is not there and some team like the Penguins could get him.

Last edited:

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
They already stated they were looking for top 9 F help and a backup goalie. I don't see them going after a Dman unless it's for a really cheap cap hit, seeing as Don preached cap flexibility. Pretty sure they banking on Z and Seids having stronger seasons and the young guys stepping up.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Would be cool with Franson. He's 27 which is usually when D-men start hitting their stride. Not the sexiest pickup in the world stats-wise but he's a solid top 4.

Yeah exactly, and under Clode he would learn a ton! I see him as an unpolished gem. I think that he'd surprise many here once he gets acclimated and educated by the Clodefish.

They dont need to do anything at this point. If they are going for it near the deadline then go after a top 4 guy. No sense in getting Franson and getting into cap hell again when we have more than a few guys ready for the leap. Morrow C Miller specifically. Also Arnession is right there as well.

If we leaned anything about Don Sweeney, he's not one to get us back into cap hell. IF he signs Franson he'll do so carefully with an eye on the cap. Anyway, he's still in the "evaluation" process which to him doesn't mean napping...

Honestly, I wouldn't hate seeing Krug getting a shot next to Z. He could very well get exposed, but if we want him to take that next step and earn his $ he needs the opportunity.

Me too! Not sure if it's been tried for more than a shift here and there but they'd need to try it for half a season so that they "learn" each other.

You are not thinking like a Jacobs. It may be a bridge year, but JJ gotta be paid, and that means a lucrative playoff gate.

Simply as a fan, with the addition of a 4 D, and/or Franson, and a suitable backup for Rask (if that's not Smith), the B's are capable of making the playoffs. Sweeney owes it to players like Patrice & Z to at least attempt a run, and as the manager of a proud organization, I believe has every intention of doing so. From a developmental perspective, playoff experience will be invaluable to the maturation of their young players, too.

This is a major retool, but given all the moves that have been made & those presumably in the offing, there's no reason the Bruins can't be a playoff team. No longer a favorite, which perhaps is a good thing.

If they bring physicality & an aggressive edge, *&* a greater emphasis on speed/skill, it may not be long before the B's are again a team no one wants to play against.

:yo:That's exactly how I feel. Too many here are down on the moves but DS is putting together a hungry, young team with lots of potential and competition throughout the ranks. It's a good thing, and it'll keep paying dividends now and for long into the future IMO.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Chara- Top D
Krug- Seidenberg
x-McQ

You're looking at this from a future perspective, and with an eye toward injecting speed/skill into the defense, and I take your point. But Franson, from what little I know, should provide the skill if not the speed. He's 27, the age when D typically blossom in their understanding of a very complex position. I would at least see if a sensible deal can be made both in terms of dollars & term (maybe overpay a bit for shorter term if you're concerned about over commitment relative to the latter).

You may also be overlooking the very real possibility that if Seidenberg isn't dealt this year, he may well be next year. The Bruins could also move on from Chara at that point, too. So the young defensemen may not have to wait as long as you fear to crack the roster. This is at least a plausible scenario.

And don't ask me who becomes the 1 D at that point! ;-)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
lot of interesting stuff on Franson in this article

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...in-on-unrestricted-free-agency-175843792.html

sure sounds like these two kids like each other but Boston isn't going near that Petry contract and his agent is trying one more attempt to get someone like the Penguins to create space and give him the 6/33 or a lot closer than what Boston is coming in at

he's getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much negative stuff here. I asked multiple folks that know his ability better than me and its universal they like him. If they get him on 3-4 year deal at $5 M or less I jump

I'm not sure about Sweeney relationship with this agent, Beleskey's agent and Don have a great working relationship and fairness was the name of the game and the player wanted Boston but this looks like the Bruins like Franson and he likes them but the bling is not there and some team like the Penguins could get him.

Nashville fans said he didn't fit into their style and we are trying to change our style closer to theirs, fast flying D-zone exits to provide offense.

He is expecting way too much money.

They already stated they were looking for top 9 F help and a backup goalie. I don't see them going after a Dman unless it's for a really cheap cap hit, seeing as Don preached cap flexibility. Pretty sure they banking on Z and Seids having stronger seasons and the young guys stepping up.

I think this was said long time ago, their minds have changed many times since then. They signed Beleskey and traded for Hayes, they were seriously looking at D green but missed him, they've had some intrest in Franson/Oduya but don't know where they stand now.

D is going to be brutal for their playoff hopes the way it is now, Seids+Chara can't be your top2 D'a logging huge minutes and then expect every kid to step up and perform. For re-tool year it's fine and better for our future but if you are demanding playoffs then you are screwed. Our forwards next year won't be top scorers in the league and can't cover for D's weakness.

8 Spokes

Feb 7, 2010
Boston, MA

Simply as a fan, with the addition of a 4 D, and/or Franson, and a suitable backup for Rask (if that's not Smith), the B's are capable of making the playoffs. Sweeney owes it to players like Patrice & Z to at least attempt a run, and as the manager of a proud organization, I believe has every intention of doing so. From a developmental perspective, playoff experience will be invaluable to the maturation of their young players, too.

I'm totally on board with the idea of us signing Franson and gunning for the playoffs. My problem is with the posters who said sign him on a one year deal and flip him at the deadline for a 1st rounder. If that's the position the Bruins are in going into the deadline, so be it. But I don't want to sign the guy and be like "Yeah you should probably just rent in Boston because by March, you're outta here."

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I agree the D is awful right now. But I don't think a "solid RH d-man" is going to fix it, long term.

Our first priority is to find a future #1D to replace Hamilton. There is no way in hell we're ever going to contend again without having at least an top D to lead our group. And while I have high hopes for Miller, Morrow, etc, I don't think any have the upside to be that #1D. We need a Keith, a Seabrook, a Doughty, Hedman, type leader moving forward, as Chara doesn't have much left in the tank. So, that, plus a solid RH d-man, as you suggest, would bring us back into respectability.

Without those two moves, we're going to be scraping into the playoffs, which is awful because it means we also won't draft high enough to acquire an elite D.

And I don't see any easy answers.

Heck, I wanted them to keep Dougie AND get a #1/#2 to pair with him for a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad