All Bruins rumors/proposals: Reset and Sweenified

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I do too, lots to like there as long as the money is reasonable, but I also feel like another tweak would have to come. That D would be too slow for my liking.

Chara-Franson
Seids-x(C.Miller/Morrow)
Krug- McQ

would be brutally slow, C.Miller would have to win a roster spot, just with Krug we'd be theslowest D group in the league.

Sweeney said a month ago that our D needs to get faster and have better D-zone exits providing scoring support, I have no idea how that group could be faster or provide any kind of offensive support.
Trotman couldn't be the final piece on that D group.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Don't understand how people can say Franson sucks yet love Hamilton. They're very similar players at this point. Sure, Hamilton obviously has the upside, but they're fairly comparable right now IMO. The only real area Hamilton has over Franson is he's a better skater, but it's not exactly like Hamilton is a burner either.

I agree. He's not a bad defenseman. He was far and away Toronto's best defenseman against us in the 7 game series we played against them two years ago. Leaf fans were raving about him.

He does have some flaws that are not ideal, particularly the fact that he's not fast, but who knows if that ideal guy is actually available and if he is he's going to cost dearly. Whereas signing someone who's close to what you need, allows them to keep the futures they've built up.

And again, if they do it then I'd like to see another tweak to the defensive group, moving out a slower guy for a faster one, but that could be something they look at doing down the line.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Chara-Franson
Seids-x(C.Miller/Morrow)
Krug- McQ

would be brutally slow, C.Miller would have to win a roster spot, just with Krug we'd be theslowest D group in the league.

Sweeney said a month ago that our D needs to get faster and have better D-zone exits providing scoring support, I have no idea how that group could be faster or provide any kind of offensive support.
Trotman couldn't be the final piece on that D group.

I agree, but maybe there's another shoe to drop...

Personally, I'd like to see a Krug-Franson pairing. Franson is offensive without being a rover and Krug is a force offensively... They could be the Dpair version of the Krecji line, getting a lot of favorable offensive zone starts and line matchups.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
This will be interesting. You can't really go on the record saying you want a faster defense then come into camp with assured spots for Chara, Seidenberg, Franson and McQuaid. All of those guys are laughably slow. We're Jim Weimer and Dave Ellett from the all-time Bruins slow team. Clearly this can't happen.

Or I guess it can. They'll just suck.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like Franson but not North of $5.

If Sweeney got him on a Beleskey deal I'm in.

Doug Houda could probably make a few subtle improvements. Here he is a good room guy.

I want to see Trotman get a shot but getting Franson for good value I would not pass up.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I agree, but maybe there's another shoe to drop...

Personally, I'd like to see a Krug-Franson pairing. Franson is offensive without being a rover and Krug is a force offensively... They could be the Dpair version of the Krecji line, getting a lot of favorable offensive zone starts and line matchups.

You'd be pushing Seids-McQ pairing then and I don't think if I could watch that :laugh:
You also have to remember that Chara would be playing with a rookie and getting rough starts with him, and it would probably be Trotman then and I would hate that D group, hate that.

D-play is not Krug's best asset and he needs someone who knows how to play D, and to me Seids would be the best guy to pair with a rookie, especially offensive rookie.

I'd rather see both Morrow and C.Miller in the lineup than get Franson, if they get Franson then they should ship Seids out.

You'd potentially have Colin Miller, Morrow & Krug, all of whom have skill & at least some speed. Miller especially.

The problem is potentially, but if C.Miller could win a roster spot then it changes things a lot, but if Trotman would win it then someone save us. :help:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This will be interesting. You can't really go on the record saying you want a faster defense then come into camp with assured spots for Chara, Seidenberg, Franson and McQuaid. All of those guys are laughably slow. We're Jim Weimer and Dave Ellett from the all-time Bruins slow team. Clearly this can't happen.

Or I guess it can. They'll just suck.

I would go after him but that's me- the future is some form of composition of Zboril, Arnasson, O'Gara, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Carlo, Captain Krug, Miller, Trotman, Morrow etc...

We are two years away and I'd sign Franson to 4 years or less

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Part of me wants them to see how the kids do on defense before signing a defenseman. The other wants to get a decent defenseman.

If this were a complete rebuild, sure, but while no longer a top team, the B's canst least compete for a playoff spot. In that case you go out and find solid defensive depth to stabilize the blue line..

There's been enough instability.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
So, what's the latest? I'd prefer this not be true.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Lyndon Byers Facebook post:

I still think it makes a lot of sense. Kind of one of those "where there's smoke there's fire" type of things.

Something tells me he did in fact hear something and post it but either got a call when it was seen or learned something new and took it off

Lyndon Byers ain't the brightest bulb in the ole tool shed...or something like that

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
You'd be pushing Seids-McQ pairing then and I don't think if I could watch that :laugh:
You also have to remember that Chara would be playing with a rookie and getting rough starts with him, and it would probably be Trotman then and I would hate that D group, hate that.

D-play is not Krug's best asset and he needs someone who knows how to play D, and to me Seids would be the best guy to pair with a rookie, especially offensive rookie.

I'd rather see both Morrow and C.Miller in the lineup than get Franson, if they get Franson then they should ship Seids out.

The problem is potentially, but if C.Miller could win a roster spot then it changes things a lot, but if Trotman would win it then someone save us. :help:

I like Trotman. The thing to do if you think Miller can make the jump is to trade Dennis. Then you would have two slow but hopefully still effective shut down guys in Z & Adam; Trotman as a similar steady stay at home; faster skill in Krug, CM & Morrow; Kevan Miller as an extra, and maybe Franson. That wouldn't be terrible.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
The fact that he isn't signed 6 days into free agency scares me.

PASS

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
We still need to move out 2 forwards. I believe Sweeney meant what he said about Clode needing to let the kids play a bit. I don't think he goes into camp without have at least 1 open spot up front and on D for the kids to battle for. Kemppainen didn't sign here to ply in Providence either.

Last edited:

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Something tells me he did in fact hear something and post it but either got a call when it was seen or learned something new and took it off

Lyndon Byers ain't the brightest bulb in the ole tool shed...or something like that

this has been my thought as well. Seems like a weird thing to post otherwise; and doubt someone would hack his account to post it

I still think it's a good idea; as long as the money is right. you are going to need to let the kids play at some point anyway; as someone is going to be on the shelf, for at least a little while; but you don't want to throw them into the fire, or worse end up with one or two guys on the shelf and have three or four rookies in the lineup.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I like Trotman. The thing to do if you think Miller can make the jump is to trade Dennis. Then you would have two slow but hopefully still effective shut down guys in Z & Adam; Trotman as a similar steady stay at home; faster skill in Krug, CM & Morrow; Kevan Miller as an extra, and maybe Franson. That wouldn't be terrible.

I just see 4 guys that will have a roster spot here next year, Krug, Chara, Seids, McQ, I doubt none of those will get traded, if you add Franson to make it 5 then we have only 1 spot left and we are looking at the slowest D group in the league, then Trotman can't be in the lineup, we need one of Morrow/C.Miller to boost our skating/offensive support. We don't have elite offensive forwards, our D needs to be able to support them.

Sweeney himself said he wants us to be faster team, we need 2-3 well skating D's in that group to make it so.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

PASS

I think the league knows Franzon is at best a #4 defenseman. He does some things well, and had very significant flaws in his game.

I thenk Franzon and the agent, believe Franzon is more than that and is looking for #2/#3 money and for 6 years. Personally I wouldn't touch him

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
If we could sign Franson on a decent contract ( 4-4.5 per for 3 years) then this would be my D pairings.

Chara - C. Miller
Franson - Morrow
Krug - MacQuaid

K. Miller or Trotman as 7th and the other in Providence as injury call-up.

Obviously Seids is missing from this lineup. I'd trade him for whatever futures Donny can get for him.

Although this D incorporates two rookies ( Miller/Morrow) both bring what was lacking last season( speed/Transition). Also all 3 pairs are balanced with an offensive D man with a more sturdy defensive guy and the R/L balance works out.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

PASS

Neither is Oduya who is a very solid defenseman. Franson at a reasonable rate would be a good pick up, he is a number 4 not a top pair guy but he hits and has decent offensive skills. Skating is an issue but he would fit in with the rest of the D in the regard.

Given a choice between Trotman ot Franson it really isn't a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad