All Bruins rumors/proposals: Reset and Sweenified

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Byers MC'd the Bruins Draft party - he was everywhere. He's part of their family and in his yute was Neely's running mate

I don't know what it all means but Byers is sorta kinda tied to da Broons

I hope it's true as long as its not more than this 4/20 that is when my ugh comes into play

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Friedman is saying that the Bruins and Franson have been talking.

Okay, thank you.

They may as well explore it, and in judicious fashion. The guy is 27 and would replicate, after a fashion,what was lost with Dougie's departure. A decent bridge for the time being as long as the prices& term are sensible.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
What would people think about Kevin Klein from the Rangers? Heard they may move him...pretty good skater, decent toughness and could be a serviceable top 4 given our lack of options. His cap hit is about 2.9 mil for the next three years so he shouldn't be hard to move if better internal options (Miller/Morrow) develop. Not a sexy move but given it wouldn't likely cost much to acquire and we're operating in limbo land, could be solid in my opinion. He has been on two deep defensive teams in Nashville and the Rangers this past year but feel he could be a #4...kind of Ferrence type.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I just see 4 guys that will have a roster spot here next year, Krug, Chara, Seids, McQ, I doubt none of those will get traded, if you add Franson to make it 5 then we have only 1 spot left and we are looking at the slowest D group in the league, then Trotman can't be in the lineup, we need one of Morrow/C.Miller to boost our skating/offensive support. We don't have elite offensive forwards, our D needs to be able to support them.

Sweeney himself said he wants us to be faster team, we need 2-3 well skating D's in that group to make it so.

I could be wrong but don't see any reason why Seidenberg couldn't be traded. You've already re-signed Adam, at this point I don't see Z moving, and unless Franson or a legitimate 4D is brought in, guessing Trotman takes a spot. Krug, C. Miller & Morrow could balance this with speed/skill. Kevan Miller as extra D.

Again, it's not great and there is certainly a lot of risk trusting three young D, especially CM with no NHL experience. I don't love it but I don't hate it, either.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
What would people think about Kevin Klein from the Rangers? Heard they may move him...pretty good skater, decent toughness and could be a serviceable top 4 given our lack of options. His cap hit is about 2.9 mil for the next three years so he shouldn't be hard to move if better internal options (Miller/Morrow) develop. Not a sexy move but given it wouldn't likely cost much to acquire and we're operating in limbo land, could be solid in my opinion. He has been on two deep defensive teams in Nashville and the Rangers this past year but feel he could be a #4...kind of Ferrence type.

Like Klein a lot, he'd be a perfect replacement for Seids on the 2nd pairing.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
I'd love to give Franson a one year deal and flip him at the deadline. We have space this year. I want as much cap space for next year's free agent class as possible though.

8 Spokes

Feb 7, 2010
Boston, MA
I'd love to give Franson a one year deal and flip him at the deadline. We have space this year. I want as much cap space for next year's free agent class as possible though.

If the intention all along is to flip the player at the deadline, why not just leave the roster spot open for one of the prospects like C. Miller, Trotman, or Morrow? If you're looking towards '16-'17 as the year when we're competitive again, then having those three get as much NHL ice time as possible in a throw away season is more valuable than bringing in Franson for 60 games.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
If the intention all along is to flip the player at the deadline, why not just leave the roster spot open for one of the prospects like C. Miller, Trotman, or Morrow? If you're looking towards '16-'17 as the year when we're competitive again, then having those three get as much NHL ice time as possible in a throw away season is more valuable than bringing in Franson for 60 games.

Because he and Santorelli got a 1st in return last year. And there's a chance we could use Franson for a playoff run. If you want to open up space for Morrow and Miller, move Seidenberg and Kevan Miller.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Because the first round pick you'd likely get for him is also very valuable. It also allows the Bruins to feel him out and see if he's a good fit with the team. There will be opportunity for the kids to get into games.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I think this year is inevitably a retooling year. I think Sweeney deserves at least a year of awful hockey to try to put the foundation together for the team he wants.

So: Stay away from bad UFA signings. No Oduya. No Franson.

For example, it's not clear to me that Franson is an obvious top 4D guy in Boston. If he isn't, we shouldn't spend on him. Give Morrow a chance; let Krug step up. Let Kevan Miller finally show what he can do.

Thus -- stay put, no panicked or dumb UFA signings, retain some cap space flexibility, and be prepared to really suck this year (inevitable with the current D). Ensure we have a viable #2 goaltender to takeover when Rask has a mild psychotic break mid-season, draft an elite D and an elite F in the top 5-10 in 2016 (with ours and SJS's 1st rounder) and come back hard in 2016/17. There will be better UFAs (plus Shattenkirk will be easier to acquire from the Blues, for example, because he'd only have 1 year left on his contract), Kelly will be gone, Pasta/Spooner/Krug matured, and some of the 2015 prospect class ready to contribute, Krejci/Bergy/Marchy, still prime, and hopefully Chara still has something left in the tank.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I really hope they do sign Franson, I was excited last night when I read the post. And I think with the right term/cost, it's a good addition. You can't go into the season with Chara, Seids, Krug, mcQuaid, and two rookies. It's bad enough to have two rookies in the lineup; but if Chara, Seidenberg, or McQuaid get hurt (which is fairly likely), then you are rolling three guys that might not belong there yet.
This is exactly what happened with Boychuk last year; we dropped him, Chara & McQuaid got hurt, and our defense was in shambles.

If they are talking about competing this year; they absolutely need another defenseman signed.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I'd love to get Kline, assuming we could get him for limited assets in return. Very solid player

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
I've already seen it mentioned, Cody Franson could be a doubly valuable piece to the Bruins.

Sign him and see if he's a fit for this team moving forward. If he is then fantastic we've found a younger D-man we can move forward with until guys like Zboril, Carlo, Lauzon are getting ready to make the jump.

If he isn't a fit with the team moving forward, there is a very good chance to flip him at deadline time to a team needing D help for a playoff run. No reason to think he couldn't return a 1st once again.

Could be a dream scenario for the organization to hold 3 first round picks in back to back seasons.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I've already seen it mentioned, Cody Franson could be a doubly valuable piece to the Bruins.

Sign him and see if he's a fit for this team moving forward. If he is then fantastic we've found a younger D-man we can move forward with until guys like Zboril, Carlo, Lauzon are getting ready to make the jump.

If he isn't a fit with the team moving forward, there is a very good chance to flip him at deadline time to a team needing D help for a playoff run. No reason to think he couldn't return a 1st once again.

Could be a dream scenario for the organization to hold 3 first round picks in back to back seasons.

If we are sellers at this deadline, Loui gets us a 1st for sure.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I like loui, not looking to trade him. Let's see how this year goes.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
I doubt it would be limited assets. With the cap crunch they're about to face, he's very valuable to them at his price. They'll try to dump Dan Boyle on someone.

Are the NYR on Chris Kelly's list, because I'd take Boyle on if he was going the other way. Was still productive and skating nearly 20 mins per on a conference finalist.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I could be wrong but don't see any reason why Seidenberg couldn't be traded. You've already re-signed Adam, at this point I don't see Z moving, and unless Franson or a legitimate 4D is brought in, guessing Trotman takes a spot. Krug, C. Miller & Morrow could balance this with speed/skill. Kevan Miller as extra D.

Again, it's not great and there is certainly a lot of risk trusting three young D, especially CM with no NHL experience. I don't love it but I don't hate it, either.

Seidenberg could be traded but I don't see it as likely thing to happen, same thing with Kelly, if they feel that his recovery is going well, as DKH has mentioned then I just can't see them trading him.
But he should be atleast after next season, we have huge amount of kids pushing into lineup and we are probably going to see a new D-player added at some point next season.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

I think this is going to be the plan this year.

I think this is a retool year. Give the young'uns a chance but also be prepared to suck.

Of course we need a Hamilton replacement (I don't think it's coming from C. Miller or Morrow, etc), but that will be easier to acquire next year from a better crop of UFAs, or trade targets (Shattenkirk will be more likely moved next year).

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Seidenberg could be traded but I don't see it as likely thing to happen, same thing with Kelly, if they feel that his recovery is going well, as DKH has mentioned then I just can't see them trading him.
But he should be atleast after next season, we have huge amount of kids pushing into lineup and we are probably going to see a new D-player added at some point next season.

I wouldn't trade him. They say it takes over a year. Let's see if he plays good this year. I expect him t be better.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Are the NYR on Chris Kelly's list, because I'd take Boyle on if he was going the other way. Was still productive and skating nearly 20 mins per on a conference finalist.

Dom mentioned last year that the eight teams were ones closest geographically to Ottawa, so something like: Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto and the three NY state teams. New Jersey and Philly might be the others.

kman22

Apr 11, 2010
I think this is going to be the plan this year.

I think this is a retool year. Give the young'uns a chance but also be prepared to suck.

Of course we need a Hamilton replacement (I don't think it's coming from C. Miller or Morrow, etc), but that will be easier to acquire next year from a better crop of UFAs, or trade targets (Shattenkirk will be more likely moved next year).

I'm guessing that that's the plan too. Kelly comes off the books, Lucic's money is off the books, only notable free agents are Connolly, Krug, and Eriksson. Should be able to avoid overages this season, so next year seems like the ideal time to make a big(ger) addition.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I wouldn't trade him. They say it takes over a year. Let's see if he plays good this year. I expect him t be better.

The problem is that how do we make the D roster work after next season? We need to add a new top pairing D and then

Chara- Top D
Krug- Seidenberg
x-McQ

are locks, we have Zboril, Morrow, Linus, C.Miller, Carlo pushing into lineup, how will they get the chance if 5 spots are locked up for 2-3years?

If they bring in Franson it's even worse situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad