All Bruins rumors/proposals: Reset and Sweenified

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
how is this a bridge year:laugh:

they have Chara, Rask, Bergeron, Krejci, Eriksson, Seidenberg, Pastrnak, Marchand, Krug that doesnt sound like a strip down year to me

Sweeney moved a

1. soft perimiter player who didnt fit Bruins style and was overpaid
2. a malconent who didnt want to be here
3. a UFA to be that would have been a nightmare to sign

in return he got about a dozen assets for a spoiled brat and 2 guys many on this board loathe and one who doesnt play the Bruins way

the only bridge this is, is a bridge to the future

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

they have Chara, Rask, Bergeron, Krejci, Eriksson, Seidenberg, Pastrnak, Marchand, Krug that doesnt sound like a strip down year to me

Sweeney moved a

in return he got about a dozen assets for a spoiled brat and 2 guys many on this board loathe and one who doesnt play the Bruins way

I agree Sweeney has made some shrewd moves, for sure, and added aggressiveness, size, and speed. We should be more hungry.

But on Hamilton, regardless of whether we dislike him, the fact is that he was our second best D last year, by a country mile, and was certainly our best offensive D. And likely was going to surpass Chara this year in other D categories too.

Even if Seids recovers and Chara too, to an extent, we need to find a replacement for Hamilton, moving forward, That's a big hole going into this season. We struggled with transition and slowness on our D last year. And losing Hamilton made the D group older, slower.

PS: the "bridge" line I've bolded is pretty damn funny (and clever). Are you in marketing, DKH? :laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You're looking at this from a future perspective, and with an eye toward injecting speed/skill into the defense, and I take your point. But Franson, from what little I know, should provide the skill if not the speed. He's 27, the age when D typically blossom in their understanding of a very complex position. I would at least see if a sensible deal can be made both in terms of dollars & term (maybe overpay a bit for shorter term if you're concerned about over commitment relative to the latter).

You may also be overlooking the very real possibility that if Seidenberg isn't dealt this year, he may well be next year. The Bruins could also move on from Chara at that point, too. So the young defensemen may not have to wait as long as you fear to crack the roster. This is at least a plausible scenario.

And don't ask me who becomes the 1 D at that point! ;-)

They can add Franson but him to be our #4D and replace Seids, but I just doubt their willingess to move Seids, those both in the lineup we will go nowhere and kill bergerons/rask's/krecji's prime and what do we do then.
It's either Chara-Seids-McQ+ the kids or Chara-Franson-McQ+ the kids.

Chara can't go, we'd be dead if he now goes, he is just too important part of our D group and he is the player who is trying to hold it together.

I just feel that all of our assets/efforts/cap should be used on finding that future elite #1D, it doesn't matter what else we do but if we can't find that then we won't win in this league. That player has to be found somehow during these next 12 months, my goal would be the 2nd overall now.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I can be persuaded on Franson. I've mused about adding him before, as he offers some decent offensive production, and also physical play (2nd in the league in total hits in 2013/2014, behind only Matt Martin).

But I also don't want us to overpay for any UFA at this point, when next year, there should be a better UFA class, and other targets more easily attained (Shattenkirk will likely be moved next year, as he'll only have 1 year left on his bargain basement contract).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Sweeney moved a

We can't win the cup next year without killing/destroying our future so let the kids develop and chance to step up. Find that future blue line leader and go for the cup 2016, you can obviously try to make the playoffs but it shouldn't be the must demand/expectation.

I'm afraid that they believe this group can do it and if they can't then they will explode and do something stupid.

We have a chance to build a strong future without cap hell now, don't screw that up.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
^^ This has been said many times in many different games from different posters. He also looked great down the stretch for the Bruins. This is the perfect season to let a guy like Trotman prove he's got what it takes to be a steady top 4 guy. He's at that age to where most young dmen either get it or don't and his current progression arc shows that he's getting it. Give him a chance IMO.

I liked what I saw of him up with the big club. As someone said at the time, if you don't notice a steady, solid D who plays a simple game, that's usually a good thing. Seemed to be a calming presence in his own end that played a high percentage game.

Hope he gets his chance.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

This team seriously needs not just 1 top 4 D but 2-3. Chara and Seidenberg will be gone in a few years and looking at the system its kind of blah for our defense. I mean there are some guys who have potential.

Morrow - Top 4 potential
O'Gara
Sherman
Zboril
Lauzon
Carlo

But most are years away from an impact. IDK if this year is a retool or a rebuild. Team should make up their mind. Don't like our top 6 D. I am at a loss of what this team should do however. If they sign Franson for how long? Erhoff wont come here he is cup chasing. Oduya wants to be in Chicago.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
They dont need to do anything at this point. If they are going for it near the deadline then go after a top 4 guy. No sense in getting Franson and getting into cap hell again when we have more than a few guys ready for the leap. Morrow C Miller specifically. Also Arnession is right there as well.

They're not going to the cap hell bit again. If they can sign CF or top 4 D without gross overpayment in $$$ & term, they will. Otherwise, no way. The recent moves to free space were painful enough.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
We can't win the cup next year without killing/destroying our future so let the kids develop and chance to step up. Find that future blue line leader and go for the cup 2016, you can obviously try to make the playoffs but it shouldn't be the must demand/expectation.

I'm afraid that they believe this group can do it and if they can't then they will explode and do something stupid.

We have a chance to build a strong future without cap hell now, don't screw that up.

They've already tried. The McQuaid deal was worse than Kelly's, Campbell's or Paille's when they were signed. At the time of those deals, the team was a contender, and there weren't viable replacements in house.

When the top 4 has 3 holes in it this coming season, that contract will be a big reason why.

Right now this team is the very definition of a bridge team. They're acquiring future assets, they aren't good enough to contend for a cup, and they aren't bad enough to be a lottery team. Anyone telling you different is doing paid or volunteer PR work for the front office.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I agree Sweeney has made some shrewd moves, for sure, and added aggressiveness, size, and speed. We should be more hungry.

But on Hamilton, regardless of whether we dislike him, the fact is that he was our second best D last year, by a country mile, and was certainly our best offensive D. And likely was going to surpass Chara this year in other D categories too.

Even if Seids recovers and Chara too, to an extent, we need to find a replacement for Hamilton, moving forward, That's a big hole going into this season. We struggled with transition and slowness on our D last year. And losing Hamilton made the D group older, slower.

PS: the "bridge" line I've bolded is pretty damn funny (and clever). Are you in marketing, DKH? :laugh:

I am Dougie Hamilton's speech writer

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I'm totally on board with the idea of us signing Franson and gunning for the playoffs. My problem is with the posters who said sign him on a one year deal and flip him at the deadline for a 1st rounder. If that's the position the Bruins are in going into the deadline, so be it. But I don't want to sign the guy and be like "Yeah you should probably just rent in Boston because by March, you're outta here."

That won't happen for another reason: the guy has already signed three short term deals (at least one was for a single season, I believe) while watching teammates score ridiculous contracts. Whoever signs him, it won't be for one year.

I do agree with the observation that because he wasn't signed straight away on July 1, his value has decreased and the huge contract won't be forthcoming. The big fish are gone & already prudent buyers can afford to haggle a bit.

8 Spokes

Feb 7, 2010
Boston, MA
That won't happen for another reason: the guy has already signed three short term deals (at least one was for a single season, I believe) while watching teammates score ridiculous contracts. Whoever signs him, it won't be for one year.

I do agree with the observation that because he wasn't signed straight away on July 1, his value has decreased and the huge contract won't be forthcoming. The big fish are gone & already prudent buyers can afford to haggle a bit.

Right, not to mention that it's been rumored that he's holding out because he wants an NTC/NMC in the contract.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

It could totally happen (not making the playoffs ) but think it would be disastrous for everyone .It would mean the core underachieved again ,none of the new blood had any impact and the young guns (Spooner and Pasta ) regressed .

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I cannot see the Bruins starting the season with him. He just doesn't fit with their new direction/makeup

I do.

Hes a good skater and a great room guy. Players like Kelly are great to have when you have a young team.

Now will I be crying myself to sleep if he gets dealt? No way, but if there aren't any more moves in the pipeline then i don't move him for the sake of moving him.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I think most of us would like Kelly gone. IDK what the hold up is with trading him. Maybe Ottawa would want him back. If they didn't get into it with PC probably could have sent him to Edmonton.

A young team needing a veteran could use Kelly

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I do.

Hes a good skater and a great room guy. Players like Kelly are great to have when you have a young team.

Now will I be crying myself to sleep if he gets dealt? No way, but if there aren't any more moves in the pipeline then i don't move him for the sake of moving him.

You move him to give a young player a chance to play. What's the worst that can happen?

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I still would like Kelly gone.

Pretty sure everybody does. I still don't see any team willing to take on his contract, even if it's for a year. That NTC is killer...

It would be nice to move his money off the cap, then sign somebody like Franson.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
You move him to give a young player a chance to play. What's the worst that can happen?

If you're moving him, it's to clear up cap space to fix the defense. Who are the young players just itching to take a spot on the 4th line? It already looks like we're fixing to waste a spot on Zac Rinaldo. I'd much rather Kelly at 3 than that dirtbag on the vet minimum. (Not that I'm particularly fond of either).

Bi Coastal Bawse*

If you're moving him, it's to clear up cap space to fix the defense. Who are the young players just itching to take a spot on the 4th line? It already looks like we're fixing to waste a spot on Zac Rinaldo. I'd much rather Kelly at 3 than that dirtbag on the vet minimum. (Not that I'm particularly fond of either).

Move Kelly and the 4th line can be a combo of

Talbot, Rinaldo, Koko, Ferlin, Randell,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad