All Bruins rumors/proposals: Reset and Sweenified

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
It might be a great thing to have Kelly around these young players.

I don't buy this. Boston already has enough players with leadership qualities: Bergeron, Krejci and Chara lead the way, while I think that McQuaid also exhibits similar traits.

Claude Julien and this coaching staff combined with Kelly is not a good thing IMO. I don't know if anyone can say with a straight face that he's going to be the full time 4th line center.

You know the first injury or the first sign of struggle from Spooner, Kelly's minutes will rise. Wouldn't even shock me if he actually plays more than Spooner 5 on 5.

The only thing Kelly does is block youth IMO. Injury in the top-9, he's the guy who likely moves up. Need to cut ties if at all possible. Just like Campbell and Paille.

Precisely.

Playing them on the 4th line seems pretty useless. I hate Kelly as much as anyone but we still need penalty killers.

It should be Kelly-Kemppainen-Talbot. WITH 10 MINUTES OR LESS CLAUDE.

Krejci, Eriksson, Marchand and Bergeron all kill penalties. Kemppainen and Talbot (if they are on the team) do it, too. Julien even had Spooner doing some PK on his first stint with Boston. Losing Kelly won't hamper that aspect of Boston's game.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I don't buy this. Boston already has enough players with leadership qualities: Bergeron, Krejci and Chara lead the way, while I think that McQuaid also exhibits similar traits.

Krejci, Eriksson, Marchand and Bergeron all kill penalties. Kemppainen and Talbot (if they are on the team) do it, too. Julien even had Spooner doing some PK on his first stint with Boston. Losing Kelly won't hamper that aspect of Boston's game.

would be a great day if kelly is traded. but i'm resigned to the fact that we'll be watching him in a b's sweater at least until late february. if he can get us a 2nd or 3rd round pick at the deadline, it may allow me to stomach watching him for the 50-60 games between now and then. but if they somehow end up signing him to an extension, i'm definitely gonna snap.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Though I would prefer otherwise, resigning Kelly would not surprise me nor upset me too much as long as he gets paid what he's worth which is about half or less of what he makes now. Oh, and no NTC/NMC or clauses of any kind.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
^^ This has been said many times in many different games from different posters. He also looked great down the stretch for the Bruins. This is the perfect season to let a guy like Trotman prove he's got what it takes to be a steady top 4 guy. He's at that age to where most young dmen either get it or don't and his current progression arc shows that he's getting it. Give him a chance IMO.

doc5hole is convinced that Trotman, with his one-way contract this season, will take Hamilton's place next to Chara. I've seen him rate Trotman's AHL playoff performance this past Spring as outstanding.

Zach Trotman, a right shot, slides nicely with his one-way contract into Hamilton’s spot across from Zdeno Chara.

He quotes GM Sweeney in the article:

I have talked about having some patience for players to develop and then not being impatient in terms of their integration. And I think we are at that point. The players always identify when they are ready to play in the National Hockey League. Our coaches have to be willing to put them in roles where they are going to be successful.

You look at the progression of Zach (Trotman) and Joe (Morrow) and Colin and they are going to fit amongst our group.

See more at: http://blogs.southcoasttoday.com/bruins/#sthash.6pjy8t18.dpuf

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
i am glad DS did not rush into signing Franson.

I don't think they sign any other D. They stay put. And they probably should, give some of these young D prospects a chance.

The only other move, is a hockey trade for a Hamilton replacement. But that's not easy either.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Caron had a one-way contract.

I like Trotman. I'm high on Trotman. He's a AHL defenseman until he proves otherwise. I've been fooled enough by slightly older college defenseman in the past with Kampfer, Bartkowski, K.Miller, and Hunwick. Trotman is like three years older than Hamilton for **** sake. It more likely he is what he is. I do like him though.

You're better off starting these guys from the bottom paring letting them work their way up. This team is in the lottery of Trotman is penciled into the top pair for opening night.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
We have a chance to not to be a bridge team for more than 1year. I'm going into next year with re-tool look and my entertainment will be watching kids stepping up, but like I've said here we have the potential but we aren't just there yet. We need that 1st pairing D who will be our blue line leader for a long long time, 2nd overall is my target, package both our 2 1st picks+ and get our potential franchise D. And if they can't do that then 5 top15 1st round picks is a nice way to build up our prospect pool while also getting some interesting/strong prospects from Lucic trade.

Marchand-Bergeron
Eriksson-Krecji
Beleskey-Spooner
Kelly-Kemppain
+Rask
can challenge anyone in this league, now it's time for the rw kids to develop and step up, Pasta should be a strong top6 rw for us in his last ELC year, Connolly steps up or we make a trade for top6 winger at the deadline or in the offseason, we have the assets/cap space for it.

Marchand-Bergeron-Connolly/top6
Eriksson-Krecji-Hayes
Beleskey-Spooner-Pasta
DeBust-Kuraly-Koko-Seny, we don't have to worry about our forward group that much for a long time, it's all about giving them a year to develop and find their game. Spooner, Pasta and Connolly can be hopefully real impact players for us in the 2016- season, then you add those other players who are still in their prime + 2 1st round winger prospects close to being NHL ready
I have no worries for our 2nd/3rd pairings after next year, Krug-McQ-Zboril-C.Miller-Linus-Morrow, you can build a strong 2nd/3rd pairings with those guys. But the 1st pairing D is missing and it has to be found, if we found that then our team can be strong for a long time.
If we can't find that 1st pairing D then we are screwed and we can stop dreaming playing in the finals.
We should focus all our attention/assets for finding that D, it's a must find.
We have ton of prospects we can push into lineup and make sure we won't be in cap hell for a long time, lots of promising prospects.

We are going to have elite skating team soon which will be fun to watch and we haven't sacrificed size while getting that.
Spooner-Pasta-Beleskey-Marchand-Seny-Krug-C.Miller-Zboril-Kuraly will make sure we are going to be fast and entertaining, I can't wait to see thos guys flying.
We are still going to have size in the lineup, Chara, McQ, Hayes, Seny, Beleskey and we've added few hopefull scorers in Seny and DeBust.

But like I've said many times, it's all on the future #1D, Sweeney can't honestly think that we have a chance in hell without that.

I don't think that it should be looked at that way, Florida will be better than they were, Buffalo will be a lot better than they were and Columbus just flew by us.
Now it's our time to fill up the holes/prospect pool and get our young players ready, it's a quick re-tool, This team as it is isn't a playoff team.
We are 2 top4D's+ 1 top6 winger short, you can't honestly expect them to be better than we were last year, D situation is just a killer. If we go into next year with must be in the playoffs attitude then we are going to hurt our future, trades that would be needed would take too much.

Ofcourse I want us to be in the playoffs and win, and I would hate to be out, but next year if we won't make it then we shouldn't explode and destroy everything.
GordonHowe's post on page 11 ,pretty well expresses my feelings as to what I am hoping for . " I may be a fool but I am optimistic " . I just can't buy into the mentality of a "bridge year " .

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
GordonHowe's post on page 11 ,pretty well expresses my feelings as to what I am hoping for . " I may be a fool but I am optimistic " . I just can't buy into the mentality of a "bridge year " .

If I had a dollar for every post this guy is telling us it's bridge year I could retire. Same post over and over again in different words.

I'm with you, optimistic like always. It never occurs to some posters that 1 or 2 of our young D might surprise and that perhaps better chemistry and more enthusiasm among the forward lineup may take us further than skill and sulking.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Kellys one year away from a cost drop... and has negative trade value

Krug is one year away from a cost jump and might be at his highest trade value he will ever have.

Im think kelly for three more years around 1.5-2 mill is ok
krug for three more years at around 5 mill not ok
Keep Krug.

They only way he gets a big raise is if he earns it, and if he does well great! And if the bruins don't want to keep him, then turn around and trade him.

Keeping Kelly around so that the Bruins can keep him for 3 more seasons after this at 1.5m-2m is just ridiculous.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Keep Krug.

They only way he gets a big raise is if he earns it, and if he does well great! And if the bruins don't want to keep him, then turn around and trade him.

Keeping Kelly around so that the Bruins can keep him for 3 more seasons after this at 1.5m-2m is just ridiculous.

To me there will be an issue with Krug going forward. On the one hand he provides an important offensive side however he's a 3rd pairing D who is simply to small to play against top lines. How much you think you pay for a 3rd pairing D is likely to be different than what he thinks it is. I would consider trading him for the right deal.

I'd prefer to see Kelly go as soon as possible but I wouldn't rule out him being resigned. If it has to happen it should be less than 1.5 per and not for 3 years.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I absolutely hate losing, and I hate it a ............ lot :laugh: but when I try to look at this team with my brain and not heart and think whats best for us then it's not hard to see a ------ year being the best option, ofcourse every player goes all out and if we make the playoffs then great and playoffs should be the goal with this roster as it is, but we really shouldn't do any bad contracts and push us against the cap so we could have a better chance to make it when this team is not ready to be contenders just yet.
We have a chance to build a successfull base and I'd hate to screw that up.

With this D we won't be a contender, it's ust full of question marks, how well have chara+seids recovered, can Morrow/Trotman/C.Miller all step up and deliver and be real top4D's because they'd have to be.
With Hamilton we were 1top4D short from being contenders, now we are 1 1st pairing D and 1 2nd pairing D short. + 1top6 rw winger, fixing all those holes now would kill our future.

The most I'd hate to be a middle team who is going nowhere, couldn't stand that at all, time to fix last years mess and fill up the prospect pool and have lots of contending years after.

Right now we are in the 8-10 range in the East, being challengers which should be a good thing for our players motivation. But I wouldn't kill our future while going all in next year when the chances are badly against us, I hate losing but I hate sucking for years much more.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Caron had a one-way contract.

I like Trotman. I'm high on Trotman. He's a AHL defenseman until he proves otherwise. I've been fooled enough by slightly older college defenseman in the past with Kampfer, Bartkowski, K.Miller, and Hunwick. Trotman is like three years older than Hamilton for **** sake. It more likely he is what he is. I do like him though.

You're better off starting these guys from the bottom paring letting them work their way up. This team is in the lottery of Trotman is penciled into the top pair for opening night.

How does Kevan Miller fit with that group?

You don't think he proved anything last season?

If healthy, I would think he and Krug will be an excellent pairing again as they were last season.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
If you're moving him, it's to clear up cap space to fix the defense. Who are the young players just itching to take a spot on the 4th line? It already looks like we're fixing to waste a spot on Zac Rinaldo. I'd much rather Kelly at 3 than that dirtbag on the vet minimum. (Not that I'm particularly fond of either).

Not sure if serious. There is a plethora of young talent willing to prove themselves. How do you think Lucic, Marchand etc got a chance to play in the NHL?

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
To me there will be an issue with Krug going forward. On the one hand he provides an important offensive side however he's a 3rd pairing D who is simply to small to play against top lines. How much you think you pay for a 3rd pairing D is likely to be different than what he thinks it is. I would consider trading him for the right deal.

I'd prefer to see Kelly go as soon as possible but I wouldn't rule out him being resigned. If it has to happen it should be less than 1.5 per and not for 3 years.
Krug is still learning. His angles will be better, his gap will improve and he will use his stick more in defending. He has a chance to become a top4 Dman.

i wouldn't move him. unless it would be in a package for a top 3 dman.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Krug is still learning. His angles will be better, his gap will improve and he will use his stick more in defending. He has a chance to become a top4 Dman.

He is the most underrated player on the team.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
Not sure if serious. There is a plethora of young talent willing to prove themselves. How do you think Lucic, Marchand etc got a chance to play in the NHL?

Very serious. I don't see them giving Khokhlachev or Griffith spots on the 4th line. Ferlin and Randell? Maybe, but I'd argue they're more likely to win spots over Talbot and Rinaldo than they are Chris Kelly. Kempainnen is 27, so not exactly young.

The majority of the other players signed are going to need to spend a year in the AHL to get acclimated with pro hockey.

By the time they're ready, Kelly's deal will have expired. IMO, it will also be more likely that Kelly waives his No Trade at the deadline and we can get more in return for him.

So other than freeing up (or pushing it to another spot) cap space, I don't see the great rush to trade Kelly. The time to do it was 2013 offseason, not this one.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Krug is our only puck moving D-player, if C.Miller+Morrow have one helluva seasons then maybe they could look at trading Krug, but those would have to be one helluva seasons. We are trying to get faster not slower.

So get 2nd overall next year, C.Miller+Morrow goes crazy and Zboril develops extremely well and fast then we can talk of trading Krug :laugh: Or sign Yandle with 5+

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Very serious. I don't see them giving Khokhlachev or Griffith spots on the 4th line. Ferlin and Randell? Maybe, but I'd argue they're more likely to win spots over Talbot and Rinaldo than they are Chris Kelly. Kempainnen is 27, so not exactly young.

The majority of the other players signed are going to need to spend a year in the AHL to get acclimated with pro hockey.

By the time they're ready, Kelly's deal will have expired. IMO, it will also be more likely that Kelly waives his No Trade at the deadline and we can get more in return for him.

So other than freeing up (or pushing it to another spot) cap space, I don't see the great rush to trade Kelly. The time to do it was 2013 offseason, not this one.

I think Kelly will be a Bruin next year which I'm not happy about but only because there is nobody in the league that wants his stupid contract.

We aren't going to be a good team next year so we might as well give somebody like Koko a chance to prove himself like we did with Spooner.

Either way, Kelly has no purpose on this team. He just takes up cap space in which we could sign somebody that we could trade at the deadline for a pick. Like Franson.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
He is the most underrated player on the team.

Agreed, I really love his drive and the sandpaper his game is developing. His shot is amazing and he really WANTS to improve defensively. He will figure it out and thrive, not saying he is better then Dougie but I've always liked his game more even though he isn't as flashy or noticeable.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
How does Kevan Miller fit with that group?

You don't think he proved anything last season?

If healthy, I would think he and Krug will be an excellent pairing again as they were last season.

Hunwick, Kampfer, and Bartkowski all played in the NHL last season. Showed flashes early that got people excited. Slightly older than peers. Bartkowski isn't far removed from being a savior stepping in for Siedenberg on the 2nd pair.

Kevan Miller turns 28 this fall. He proved that he was an NHL defenseman. Dime a dozen type though. I wouldn't have re-signed McQuaid FWIW. Two similar talents. One spot. $800k vs $2.75M.

Trotman I think falls into the same group until he proves otherwise. At 24/25, of course he's going to be more advanced than most call-ups.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Changing direction from everyone repeating everything...

So not every number #1 D is a lottery pick.

Keith, Subban, Weber, and Vlasic were 2nd round picks, for instance. Shattenkirk, if you feel he is trending in that direction, was a mid-first. So was Karlsson. Chara was a 3rd rounder. Giordano was undrafted.

If you could guess on one player in the Bruins organization that could make a surprise jump, who would it be?

My guess is Trotman...kidding!

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Changing direction from everyone repeating everything...

So not every number #1 D is a lottery pick.

Keith, Subban, Weber, and Vlasic were 2nd round picks, for instance. Shattenkirk, if you feel he is trending in that direction, was a mid-first. So was Karlsson. Chara was a 3rd rounder. Giordano was undrafted.

If you could guess on one player in the Bruins organization that could make a surprise jump, who would it be?

My guess is Trotman...kidding!

Zboril in couple years. Maybe that's cheating, as he was a 1st rounder. But not a lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad