All Bruins rumors/proposals: Reset and Sweenified

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
Move Kelly and the 4th line can be a combo of

Talbot, Rinaldo, Koko, Ferlin, Randell,

If they were able to shed Kelly's contract. I could see a 4th line of Rinaldo-Talbot-Randell, and hopefully that's the combination that finally gets Claude to stop playing the 4th line so much, because it looks terrible.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
They can add Franson but him to be our #4D and replace Seids, but I just doubt their willingess to move Seids, those both in the lineup we will go nowhere and kill bergerons/rask's/krecji's prime and what do we do then.
It's either Chara-Seids-McQ+ the kids or Chara-Franson-McQ+ the kids.

Chara can't go, we'd be dead if he now goes, he is just too important part of our D group and he is the player who is trying to hold it together.

I just feel that all of our assets/efforts/cap should be used on finding that future elite #1D, it doesn't matter what else we do but if we can't find that then we won't win in this league. That player has to be found somehow during these next 12 months, my goal would be the 2nd overall now.

They aren't going to move Dennis for similar D return. But maybe they trade him for another positional need & sign Franson in the bargain. And yes, at this point I would be surprised if they traded Z. Too much has gone down & now there's no DH to build around.

I agree that an elite 1 D is pretty much mandatory now. The problem is that they are almost never traded, or are never make it to free agency. I don't see that #1 in the organization, either. So, I don't know. Short term, I would attempt to bring in Franson & deal Seidenberg for another need.

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm
It might be a great thing to have Kelly around these young players. And he's still a very good defensive fw when it matters.
Remember late last season, when he's absolutely dominating Zetterberg for an entire late (maybe even the last) shift? I'd like a clip of that if anyone know where to find it.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
We can't win the cup next year without killing/destroying our future so let the kids develop and chance to step up. Find that future blue line leader and go for the cup 2016, you can obviously try to make the playoffs but it shouldn't be the must demand/expectation.

I'm afraid that they believe this group can do it and if they can't then they will explode and do something stupid.

We have a chance to build a strong future without cap hell now, don't screw that up.

I wouldn't worry about impetuous moves. We've seen some crazy, stunning developments, and some questionable decisions early in this regime. As we've learned more about the context of these changes, and the players brought in to date, a direction is beginning to emerge.

You can say Cam is overly emotional & reactionary, and you may be right. That's not Don Sweeney. Whatever his initial missteps, he's a thoughtful, deliberate and methodical guy. Whatever we may think of it, he's going to implement his plan & stay the course.

Time will be the judge.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It could totally happen (not making the playoffs ) but think it would be disastrous for everyone .It would mean the core underachieved again ,none of the new blood had any impact and the young guns (Spooner and Pasta ) regressed .

I may be a fool but I'm optimistic. The veterans will be reenergized & motivated, not least because they are a proud group. New guys & youth will also bring energy and hunger. Last year was so disjointed & off in terms of team chemistry. There was a disconnect. Through subtractions & additions, my sense is that this group will mesh well together. They will play for one another.

They are going to be aggressive, scrappy,, and more committed. The room will be livelier, and lighter in mood. Think it's going to be fun to watch.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I do.

Hes a good skater and a great room guy. Players like Kelly are great to have when you have a young team.

Now will I be crying myself to sleep if he gets dealt? No way, but if there aren't any more moves in the pipeline then i don't move him for the sake of moving him.

I agree & I know what you're saying, but as much as I like Chris, maybe it's time.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They've already tried. The McQuaid deal was worse than Kelly's, Campbell's or Paille's when they were signed. At the time of those deals, the team was a contender, and there weren't viable replacements in house.

When the top 4 has 3 holes in it this coming season, that contract will be a big reason why.

Right now this team is the very definition of a bridge team. They're acquiring future assets, they aren't good enough to contend for a cup, and they aren't bad enough to be a lottery team. Anyone telling you different is doing paid or volunteer PR work for the front office.

We have a chance to not to be a bridge team for more than 1year. I'm going into next year with re-tool look and my entertainment will be watching kids stepping up, but like I've said here we have the potential but we aren't just there yet. We need that 1st pairing D who will be our blue line leader for a long long time, 2nd overall is my target, package both our 2 1st picks+ and get our potential franchise D. And if they can't do that then 5 top15 1st round picks is a nice way to build up our prospect pool while also getting some interesting/strong prospects from Lucic trade.

Marchand-Bergeron
Eriksson-Krecji
Beleskey-Spooner
Kelly-Kemppain
+Rask
can challenge anyone in this league, now it's time for the rw kids to develop and step up, Pasta should be a strong top6 rw for us in his last ELC year, Connolly steps up or we make a trade for top6 winger at the deadline or in the offseason, we have the assets/cap space for it.

Marchand-Bergeron-Connolly/top6
Eriksson-Krecji-Hayes
Beleskey-Spooner-Pasta
DeBust-Kuraly-Koko-Seny, we don't have to worry about our forward group that much for a long time, it's all about giving them a year to develop and find their game. Spooner, Pasta and Connolly can be hopefully real impact players for us in the 2016- season, then you add those other players who are still in their prime + 2 1st round winger prospects close to being NHL ready
I have no worries for our 2nd/3rd pairings after next year, Krug-McQ-Zboril-C.Miller-Linus-Morrow, you can build a strong 2nd/3rd pairings with those guys. But the 1st pairing D is missing and it has to be found, if we found that then our team can be strong for a long time.
If we can't find that 1st pairing D then we are screwed and we can stop dreaming playing in the finals.
We should focus all our attention/assets for finding that D, it's a must find.
We have ton of prospects we can push into lineup and make sure we won't be in cap hell for a long time, lots of promising prospects.

We are going to have elite skating team soon which will be fun to watch and we haven't sacrificed size while getting that.
Spooner-Pasta-Beleskey-Marchand-Seny-Krug-C.Miller-Zboril-Kuraly will make sure we are going to be fast and entertaining, I can't wait to see thos guys flying.
We are still going to have size in the lineup, Chara, McQ, Hayes, Seny, Beleskey and we've added few hopefull scorers in Seny and DeBust.

But like I've said many times, it's all on the future #1D, Sweeney can't honestly think that we have a chance in hell without that.

It could totally happen (not making the playoffs ) but think it would be disastrous for everyone .It would mean the core underachieved again ,none of the new blood had any impact and the young guns (Spooner and Pasta ) regressed .

I don't think that it should be looked at that way, Florida will be better than they were, Buffalo will be a lot better than they were and Columbus just flew by us.
Now it's our time to fill up the holes/prospect pool and get our young players ready, it's a quick re-tool, This team as it is isn't a playoff team.
We are 2 top4D's+ 1 top6 winger short, you can't honestly expect them to be better than we were last year, D situation is just a killer. If we go into next year with must be in the playoffs attitude then we are going to hurt our future, trades that would be needed would take too much.

Ofcourse I want us to be in the playoffs and win, and I would hate to be out, but next year if we won't make it then we shouldn't explode and destroy everything.

Last edited:

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I do.

Hes a good skater and a great room guy. Players like Kelly are great to have when you have a young team.

Now will I be crying myself to sleep if he gets dealt? No way, but if there aren't any more moves in the pipeline then i don't move him for the sake of moving him.

Claude Julien and this coaching staff combined with Kelly is not a good thing IMO. I don't know if anyone can say with a straight face that he's going to be the full time 4th line center.

You know the first injury or the first sign of struggle from Spooner, Kelly's minutes will rise. Wouldn't even shock me if he actually plays more than Spooner 5 on 5.

The only thing Kelly does is block youth IMO. Injury in the top-9, he's the guy who likely moves up. Need to cut ties if at all possible. Just like Campbell and Paille.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
We have a chance to not to be a bridge team for more than 1year. I'm going into next year with re-tool look and my entertainment will be watching kids stepping up, but like I've said here we have the potential but we aren't just there yet. We need that 1st pairing D who will be our blue line leader for a long long time, 2nd overall is my target, package both our 2 1st picks+ and get our potential franchise D. And if they can't do that then 5 top15 1st round picks is a nice way to build up our prospect pool while also getting some interesting/strong prospects from Lucic trade.

Marchand-Bergeron
Eriksson-Krecji
Beleskey-Spooner
RINALDO-Kemppain
+Rask
can challenge anyone in this league, now it's time for the rw kids to develop and step up, if Pasta should be a strong top6 rw for us in his last ELC year, Connolly steps up or we make a trade for top6 winger at the deadline or in the offseason, we have the assets/cap space for it.

Marchand-Bergeron-Connolly/top6
Eriksson-Krecji-Hayes
Beleskey-Spooner-Pasta
DeBust-Kuraly-Koko-Seny, we don't have to worry about our forward group that much for a long time. Spooner, Pasta and Connolly can be hopefully real impact players for us in the 2016- season, then you add those other players who are still in their prime + 2 1st round winger prospects close to being NHL ready
I have no worries for our 2nd/3rd pairings after next year, Krug-McQ-Zboril-C.Miller-Linus-Morrow, you can build a strong 2nd/3rd pairings with those guys. But the 1st pairing D is missing and it has to be found, if we found that then our team can be strong for a long time.
If we can't find that 1st pairing D then we are screwed and we can stop dreaming playing in the finals.
We should focus all our attention/assets for finding that D, it's a must find.
We have ton of prospects we can push into lineup and make sure we won't be in cap hell for a long time, lots of promising prospects.

We are going to have elite skating team soon which will be fun to watch and we haven't sacrificed size while getting that.
Spooner-Pasta-Beleskey-Marchand-Seny-Krug-C.Miller-Zboril-Kuraly will make sure we are going to be fast and entertaining, I can't wait to see thos guys flying.
We are still going to have size in the lineup, Chara, McQ, Hayes, Seny, Beleskey and we've added few hopefull scorers in Seny and DeBust.

But like I've said many times, it's all on the future #1D, Sweeney can't honestly think that we have a chance in hell without that.

I don't think that it should be looked at that way, Florida will be better than they were, Buffalo will be a lot better than they were and Columbus just flew by us.
Now it's our time to fill up the holes/prospect pool and get our young players ready, it's a quick re-tool, This team as it is isn't a playoff team.
We are 2 top4D's+ 1 top6 winger short, you can't honestly expect them to be better than we were last year, D situation is just a killer. If we go into next year with must be in the playoffs attitude then we are going to hurt our future, trades that would be needed would take too much.

zac-rinaldo.png

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Claude Julien and this coaching staff combined with Kelly is not a good thing IMO. I don't know if anyone can say with a straight face that he's going to be the full time 4th line center.

You know the first injury or the first sign of struggle from Spooner, Kelly's minutes will rise. Wouldn't even shock me if he actually plays more than Spooner 5 on 5.

The only thing Kelly does is block youth IMO. Injury in the top-9, he's the guy who likely moves up. Need to cut ties if at all possible. Just like Campbell and Paille.
Exactly.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

[STL] Tarasenko re-signs with Blues (8 years, $7.5M AAV)

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1925489&page=11

Not a bad deal for St. Louis at all. Expected 8m or more.

Backes likely to be moved now.

Maybe Shattenkirk, but much less likely. Though, I think Shatty will be made available next year, when he has only a year left on his contract and surely, by then, the Blues won't be able to afford him. Unless they move Pietrangelo instead. Bouwmeester's cap hit is too heavy to be moved, for what he brings, highly doubt anyone would bite. Can't see them having two D earning 6.5-7pm, plus Bouwmeester's 5.6m hit.

If the Blues re-sign Shattenkirk for 7m next year, four players will eat up nearly half of their cap space (Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Bouwmeester, Tarasenko). Not sustainable.

We should make a big push for Shattenkirk next year.

Last edited:

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
If Kemppainen doesn't make the roster, the 4th line will be:

Rinaldo-Kelly-Talbot

If he makes it, expect Kelly or Talbot to get dealt.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I may be a fool but I'm optimistic. The veterans will be reenergized & motivated, not least because they are a proud group. New guys & youth will also bring energy and hunger. Last year was so disjointed & off in terms of team chemistry. There was a disconnect. Through subtractions & additions, my sense is that this group will mesh well together. They will play for one another.

They are going to be aggressive, scrappy,, and more committed. The room will be livelier, and lighter in mood. Think it's going to be fun to watch.

Yes ,I think the goal should be to make the playoffs and then take it from there . People can predict what will happen all they want in the playoffs but let's take it one step at a time. Remember we were Cup favourites in 2014 but how did that work out ?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Compared to what?

Tampa had strong top6, weak bottom6, Hawks got scoring from every line and 4th line was used to shutdown top lines at the same time.

Depth wins. That's going to be Pittsburg's problem, crazy top6/1st pairing but nothing afer that, can't see them winning the Cup.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Wonder if any other team site's posters are so obsessed with their 4th line?

Hockey is about matchups and depth. Rarely is a first line of superstars enough to offset very miss matched third and fourth line. Pittsburgh is of course a perfect example of this. Boston certainly doesn't have a group of top and talent that could generate enough of an advantage to us where are third and fourth lines could afford to be useless.

When we were winning our cup it was generally thought that our fourth line was dominating during its time on the ice and that was the advantage we needed to squeak through those seven game series.

Fixing a top line and making it good enough that it can dominate another top line is very expensive and difficult. But you can fix a fourth line to give you a huge advantage over another part line without a lot of money if you do it the right way and get the right players involved. I think were not overdoing it with how much attention we are getting our 4th line because we know our Bergeron line and our krejci line specialize in defense first. They can neutralize opposition. But it only leads to another cup if 3 and 4 lines are getting looks us that half goal lead they used to before last seasons injury mess that had everyone playing above their pay grade

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
Did I stumble into the competition for the ********* fourth line?

What it should be:
Griffith-Koko-Craig Cunningham:nod:

Playing them on the 4th line seems pretty useless. I hate Kelly as much as anyone but we still need penalty killers.

It should be Kelly-Kemppainen-Talbot. WITH 10 MINUTES OR LESS CLAUDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad