News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm not one to cling to every little bit of speculation out there, but I thought the idea was he didn't want to play RD which is one part of why he wanted out. If true, the effort would have been to accommodate him at the position he's most comfortable playing. In which case, he wouldn't be considered an RD

I think the panic here is a bit much, but maybe that's just me.

Oh I’m not panicking merely stating opinion and observation. One can have an opinion without it being construed as panic.

I am merely stating the Oilers have a giant hole at RD after losing 3 RD - regardless where said D wanted to play - which has nothing to do with Broberg wanting out or his offer sheet.

Stetcher, Brown and Emberson are being expected to fill that RD hole right now and probably until the TDL.

That is a chance the team seems willing to take and we shall see how it plays out. My thoughts are that they will be looking to fill that hole faster than the TDL. That isn’t panic but an opinion based on what we’ve seen thus far and in prior seasons (or not seen in Emberson’s case), and perhaps should have addressed it in the off season than acquiring a second second line LW in Skinner in addition to Kane (unless the plan really is to pull a Vegas)

Hope it works out but have concerns.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm really hoping that the Oilers can somehow put together a reasonably effective fourth line with a compilation of their younger depth forwards. Philp isn't just some young kid. He's a 26 year old with a full junior career and full post university career under his belt. Add in a really promising first year as a pro and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could be an impactful defensive center.

Reactions: McDoused

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm really hoping that the Oilers can somehow put together a reasonably effective fourth line with a compilation of their younger depth forwards. Philp isn't just some young kid. He's a 26 year old with a full junior career and full post university career under his belt. Add in a really promising first year as a pro and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could be an impactful defensive center.

Don’t disagree but after not playing for a year could use a few months in the A before trial by fire in the bigs.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I wonder if Lavoie getting time at LW could mean another stint at center for Janmark.

It'd give Lavoie a bit of a real audition and let Philp get back into the swing of things in Bako for a bit.
I think it's just a numbers game. They lost Holloway, McLeod, Foegele and Kane in one fell swoop. They need someone to step up.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think it's just a numbers game. They lost Holloway, McLeod, Foegele and Kane in one fell swoop. They need someone to step up.
I'd assume Janmark and Pod are penciled in at #3/#4LW, but Lavoie being able to play LW would let them use Janmark at #4C which is probably a huge upgrade on the alternatives.

Seems kind of counterintuitive to break up the third line, but if Lavoie wins a spot, that might be the best bottom six they could ice.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Nothing crazy but I would run:

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Podkolzin-Philp-Lavoie

I have no issue waiving Perry and or Ryan to give the young guys a chance. I dont see anyone claiming either guy. Most teams want to let their young guys play instead of 38 year olds with slow boots.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yup. The Oilers bottom six scored more goals with Connor Brown on the ice than when Foegele was on the ice during the regular season.

He was a ghost away from Leon.
Of his 20 goals Foegele scored about 7 playing 5 vs 5 in the bottom 6. People are worried that in Foegele, McLeod and Holloway that the team lost a lot of offense. I just don't see it.

Here is the other thing that seems not be be factored in. Kane is still an Oiler. If he is healthy for the playoffs that is a huge plus over last year in terms of scoring depth.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I wonder if Lavoie getting time at LW could mean another stint at center for Janmark.

It'd give Lavoie a bit of a real audition and let Philp get back into the swing of things in Bako for a bit.

Honestly I don't hate the idea of Janmark at centre. Though if they do that, I think he should keep Brown on his wing for as much familiarity as possible.

Podz-Henrique-Perry/Lavoie
Lavoie/Perry-Janmark-Brown

The Oil ran Foegele/Holloway-Rico-Perry a few times last year and it looked good.
Janmark and Brown work well enough together that they should be able to compensate for the slower boots on their other wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad