NHL Entry Draft 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
A lot of hot scouting takes from people who didn't watch any games of our new prospect in here...
It’s more shock we are used to the Poile way up doing things also, the kids is Russian that alone makes me think. Looking at YouTube clips of him. I’m just wondering if he pairs perfectly with happy. Rough goals scorer with a rough playmaker.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
View attachment 889059
Everyone Needs to chill...this is a great pick
1719632617633.jpeg

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I wasn’t able to link for some reason and can’t find the tweet anymore but read a draft recap from a scouting service where they took every pick and gave a % rating of being a star and a percentage of becoming an NHL
player

They were high on Surin- had him ranked 19th with a 18% chance of being a star and 72% chance of being a regular NHL player

Of course none of that means a thing but that’s not bad for the 22nd pick

I don’t think it’s a terrible pick at all

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I wasn’t able to link for some reason and can’t find the tweet anymore but read a draft recap from a scouting service where they took every pick and gave a % rating of being a star and a percentage of becoming an NHL
player

They were high on Surin- had him ranked 19th with a 18% chance of being a star and 72% chance of being a regular NHL player

Of course none of that means a thing but that’s not bad for the 22nd pick

I don’t think it’s a terrible pick at all
You talking about this one?

Reactions: Soundgarden

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think it's fairly natural that as casual draft watchers, most of us aren't familiar with the whole slate of prospects. And it's very true that a sort of "consensus" is formed early in the season, and sort of sets itself into our collective thoughts as the season progresses. So that if we pick a guy who wasn't really thought of in that groupthink/consensus, we might seem surprised on draft day. But the reality is that the real scouts are watching things closely, and aren't constrained by any global consensus. Plus they are noticing which guys come on later in the year, which guys go on great runs in the playoffs, etc.

There were a few other guys in various places in this year's draft whose stock rose also. Sennecke at the top, others at various places throughout. So Surin went from "consensus" 32-34ish to being our #22 pick? Well don't look at where Tanner Molendyk was ranked last year!

I like that our scouts have their own opinions, and if they spot a trait that might bode well for the future of the player, they make a move. Trading up for the competitiveness of L'Heureux. And I think they saw a similar sort of spark in Surin probably. Or realized that Molendyk's skating was such that even if his draft year stats weren't great, he was due to pop in D+1.

I wasn't paying attention to Surin as a candidate for our pick, but I like what I'm reading so far. I'm glad we didn't pick a guy who was sort of a milquetoast skills guy (a la Tomasino) who might not fit the team's identity. Surin sounds like he has the kind of guts to fit in.

Now let's see some D on Day 2!

Reactions: Enoch and hido

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I won’t say much about our pick because he does seem like the high energy guy that trotz likes and his ceiling is more than likely a 3rd line guy. Now what I have a problem with is that one of the best goal scorer in this draft was sliding and you didn’t take one of those 2nds you had and try to move up. I would have overpaid to get Eiserman and trotz should have too. For a team that’s constantly looking for scoring help to not go after him is terrible. I’m beginning to think that this organization can’t draft and develop a 1st line talent guy to save its life. Eiserman will be a solid top 6 guy watch. Trotz talks a big game but he doesn’t back it up. You had the draft capital to move up and get him multiple times with how much he slid but decided to go with your type of guy that will most likely keep us where we will always be the “mushy middle”

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The team missed its chance for a self deprecating sphere joke.

We’ll see in 2-3 years if the scouts got this right. The team pays them to watch kids and assess how well they’ll progress. HF members read snippets of other people’s assessments and watch carefully selected videos before generating strong opinions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad