Confirmed with Link: Tanev Signs With Leafs | 6 Years $4.5 Million AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Sports are supposed to be fun. You're supposed to get excited about players. What a sick, twisted world we live in where adding good players causes us physical pain, **** the salary cap to high heaven.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Pretty sure I’ve heard that line about another boat anchor we have.

My biggest question is why does he have an NMC in years 4-6 if he’s supposed to be on LTIR by then.
who says he'll be on LTIR in yrs 4 - 6 ? , he may be on it in 3 or he may age well and play the full 6 yrs

the nmc is if he's still able to play

and i'm surprised your calling Tavares a boat anchor

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
You clearly dont understand that is an outdated concept

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

and a main reason Tanev is never nominated for the norris

No defensive defenceman is, and that is why the award is stupid. It should be for the best offensive defenceman.

never talked as a #1D or even 2D at this stage outside of these homer boards due to his non existent offense and two way abilities.

People with brains and common sense don't give a flying f**k about his offense because we have other options for that. We need a shut down d-man.

Hes a one way defenseman who's going to need strong goaltending and defensive structure/committment to work

We shut down boston, shut down panthers too. Our defense provided neglible offense and we lost

Wow. Just wow.

We lost because our high octane forwards couldn't score, not because our defense didn't.

Tanev is Brodie 2.0. He plays a similar defensive game, is less durable and older, has 0 puck skills and ability to rush a puck. We added a guy who should be playing on our 3rd pairing an PK1 about 18-19mins a game

And this is why NHL teams aren't beating down your door to hire you as a GM.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
If he LTIRs when he’s too busted up to play top-4 effectively, then this is an excellent deal. If he tries to hang on at the end, it may be a problem… but that’s a then problem.

Our blueline just got better.
Excellent point at the end, we’ve upgraded our defence with a terrific warrior and playoff performer. Worry about term after the third year. For those calling him a “shit” player, you have ZERO credibility or lost the minuscule amount you had.

Reactions: bax

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Reading a lot of mental gymnastics and copium here. I’m repeating myself, but we said the same thing about Marleau’s disaster of a contract and the rest was history.

The underlying issue here is we can’t seem to win a negotiation. Tanev’s awesome, but he’s at an age where his game can fall off overnight. 3 years max term, take it or leave it, lots of players out there. Relying on a player to agree to disappear after X amount of years is a loser’s race.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
I
If people think having and not having Tanev is the difference maker then its a wrong think IMO

It is the marner+tavares who are complete JOKES and 22M in cap hit thats the issue.

A GM with a foresight recognizes that he cannot move 16 and 91 due to NMCs but he must still plan for future. I would have signed Lindholm + Zadorov + Boosh + Backup + depth with Kampf and Jarnkrok (4.5M OUT) traded

And keep building towards 2025-2026 season.

This signging is absolutely STUPID.

Leafs are NOT winning anything until the cap structure, cap allocation and team composition is rounded out. And it starts with both marner and tavares teh F out which is NOT next season unfortunatley due to their NMCs and NTCs

If people think having and not having Tanev is the difference maker then its a wrong think IMO

It is the marner+tavares who are complete JOKES and 22M in cap hit thats the issue.

A GM with a foresight recognizes that he cannot move 16 and 91 due to NMCs but he must still plan for future. I would have signed Lindholm + Zadorov + Boosh + Backup + depth with Kampf and Jarnkrok (4.5M OUT) traded

And keep building towards 2025-2026 season.

This signging is absolutely STUPID.

Leafs are NOT winning anything until the cap structure, cap allocation and team composition is rounded out. And it starts with both marner and tavares teh F out which is NOT next season unfortunatley due to their NMCs and NTCs
No arguing that the use of caps adds significant credibility to your argument.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Reading a lot of mental gymnastics and copium here. I’m repeating myself, but we said the same thing about Marleau’s disaster of a contract and the rest was history.

The underlying issue here is we can’t seem to win a negotiation. Tanev’s awesome, but he’s at an age where his game can fall off overnight. 3 years max term, take it or leave it, lots of players out there. Relying on a player to agree to disappear after X amount of years is a loser’s race.

Lots of players out there? Name the ones at his level that they could have had on shorter deals.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

No defensive defenceman is, and that is why the award is stupid. It should be for the best offensive defenceman.

People with brains and common sense don't give a flying f**k about his offense because we have other options for that. We need a shut down d-man.

Wow. Just wow.

We lost because our high octane forwards couldn't score, not because our defense didn't.

And this is why NHL teams aren't beating down your door to hire you as a GM.
Youll be bitching about this deal just like Brodie & Tavares amd pretend we didnt have info at time of signing that its a shit deal

Cant wait, enjoy a 100 days of staying delusional. Reality will hit the homers in fall

Reactions: ruaware41

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
The leafs always have to give everything, never get a discount. 6 years, 80% signing bonus, and a full NMC the whole way through and still couldn’t get him lower

Glad to have him, but who the f*** is negotiating these contracts
I guess no one wants to play here. Oh how things change

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
look you can not like the term all you want but the reality is this is a BIG upgrade to the defense they are without question better today than they were yesterday

Reactions: BayStBullies

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Holy crap. So what was Tanev worth on a short deal? Hes older than Brodie who's game fell off a cliff a year ago. You don't sign for 6 instead of 4 unless you hope to play for 6. Im starting to get scared about what Marner is going to get. When Shanny said everything is on the table I guess he meant all of their money so come grab it :laugh:

I like the move a lot for about 2 years.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Youll be bitching about this deal just like Brodie & Tavares amd pretend we didnt have info at time of signing that its a shit deal

Cant wait, enjoy a 100 days of staying delusional. Reality will hit the homers in fall

Both Brodie and Tavares were excellent pickups. Everyone knew they were going to tail off towards the end, that was part of the deal.

• Haha
Reactions: ruaware41

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Judge this deal on the fact that the guy will likely hang it up soon and the 4.5 will not count on the cap. He will really help us as long as he's healthy.
My thoughts exactly. Let the morons on the main board have their fun.

Tanev is the ideal partner for Rielly and should be able to give us solid minutes during our window of contention.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
don't know what that means
he will prob have most of his pay by the time he's 37/38 so just have to buy out if he declines to get rid of cap hit?
Depends on the structure but if bonus money is owing for the last few years of the contract it will be costly to buyout. Also better hope LTIR rules don’t change in new CBA.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Lots of players out there? Name the ones at his level that they could have had on shorter deals.
I can guarantee you were the same guy excited about signing Clarkson and Tavares to those albatross contracts. Homers never learn and management doesn't either apparently. Just try the same thing every year and hope for different results. It's going to be funny to bump this thread in a few years. Treliving sucks

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
who says he'll be on LTIR in yrs 4 - 6 ? , he may be on it in 3 or he may age well and play the full 6 yrs

the nmc is if he's still able to play

and i'm surprised your calling Tavares a boat anchor

I don’t think even Dekes would have expected Tavares to be anything but an anchor in the last year or two of the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad