2024 CHL Import Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Steiner is another pick out of Switzerland from my shortlist I was wondering about. That's 2 out of 3 of the top 07 born Swiss born prospects drafted. Including Czech born Matej Pekar that's 3 out of 4 of the 07 born top prospects from the Swiss U20 elite league drafted. Only Dorian Moret left.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I think in most cases you can make an educated guess based on draft position and standing of the player.

Biggest hope pick so far is Emil Hemming at 15. At least for me it looks like a gamble but I don't have any info about the player's plans.
For me the biggest swing is 10th by Charlottetown on Radivojevic, top prospect with probably decent ice in Sweden one would imagine. Hemming maybe a swing also but it's a good idea for teams to give Euros 1 year CHL to adjust to smaller ice/more offensive role than throwing them straight into the AHL fire at 18. Then with the loaning loophole can play AHL at 19 after 1 CHL year

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
My thoughts on the Germans selected so far.

• Max Bleicher is one of the best D prospects we have had in some time. I have no idea if he will come over, but I would like it for him, because he needs to start playing against higher level of competition.
  • Norwin Panocha was selected last year by Chicoutimi, and after a somewhat promising start things did not turn out well for him or the team, maybe a change of scenery will work for him. Not sure what the situation in Prince Albert is, so I am not sure if it is a good landing spot for him.
  • Noah Samanski is not someone I was expecting to be selected, but now that he was I can see him give it a shot. I know nothing about Wenatchee but given the poor performance by many of the German import picks in recent years, I am not expecting too much.
  • Carlos Händel is the only D prospect from Germany I currently like more than Bleicher. Normally I would have said there is no chance he comes over, but he was selected by Halifax, so maybe there is a shot. Not sure if I'd prefer him staying in Sweden or going to Halifax.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Technically he could be. However the CHL Import isn't really a draft. It's often agents cooking up deals with CHL teams. This post would seem to indicate that Vecvangs has a deal in place with Blainville. It doesn't prevent another team from taking him but it's fairly unlikely someone will do that
Never doubt Acadie-Bathurst‘s DGAFness to screw with other teams plans…

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So out of Switzerland I think that Schenk and Sansonnens are locks to commit. Pekar and Steiner are likely. Bosson, Cjunskis and Pedrotti are the wild cards. I have no idea. Bosson could definitely help Drummondville but I thought would be playing SL next season. Pedrotti is a kid I didn't even have on my list for this import draft. 07 late birthday. Played mostly U17 last season. Not NHL draft eligible until 2026. Harijs Cjunskis is another head scratcher. Very surprising picks. I'm not sure if those two have what it takes to play CHL next season. It's definitely a step up from the Swiss U20 elite league.

Last edited:
Reactions: kudla

Trav

Aug 2, 2005
My thoughts on the Germans selected so far.

• Max Bleicher is one of the best D prospects we have had in some time. I have no idea if he will come over, but I would like it for him, because he needs to start playing against higher level of competition.
  • Norwin Panocha was selected last year by Chicoutimi, and after a somewhat promising start things did not turn out well for him or the team, maybe a change of scenery will work for him. Not sure what the situation in Prince Albert is, so I am not sure if it is a good landing spot for him.
  • Noah Samanski is not someone I was expecting to be selected, but now that he was I can see him give it a shot. I know nothing about Wenatchee but given the poor performance by many of the German import picks in recent years, I am not expecting too much.
  • Carlos Händel is the only D prospect from Germany I currently like more than Bleicher. Normally I would have said there is no chance he comes over, but he was selected by Halifax, so maybe there is a shot. Not sure if I'd prefer him staying in Sweden or going to Halifax.

How about David Lewandowski? Picked up with the last pick by Saskatoon.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
How about David Lewandowski? Picked up with the last pick by Saskatoon.

I was surprised by this pick. I figured if he had an agreement in place with any team he would have been selected far earlier. But I have no insight on his plans and won't rule out that he could go the CHL route. He has signed a pro contract with Düsseldorf in the DEL and would most likely spend this season in one of the lower pro-leagues in Germany while maybe getting a little taste of DEL hockey. Physically he should be able to handle it.
I am torn between wanting him to stay in Germany to play some pro hockey and wanting him to go to Saskatoon and give me another reason to follow the WHL next season.

He is a very talented but flawed player. He has a ton of skill and shares some similarities with a young Leon Draisaitl (but clearly inferior), and the biggest difference between Lewandowski and Draisaitl is that he lacks the processing speed to fully utilize his vision and playmaking ability.

If you give him time and space he can pick most defences apart, but under pressure he will often struggle and turn into a non-factor. If he can either figure out how to process the game faster or find ways to create more time and space for himself and make others play at his speed, he could become a very interesting prospect.

Reactions: pgfan66

Trav

Aug 2, 2005
I was surprised by this pick. I figured if he had an agreement in place with any team he would have been selected far earlier. But I have no insight on his plans and won't rule out that he could go the CHL route. He has signed a pro contract with Düsseldorf in the DEL and would most likely spend this season in one of the lower pro-leagues in Germany while maybe getting a little taste of DEL hockey. Physically he should be able to handle it.
I am torn between wanting him to stay in Germany to play some pro hockey and wanting him to go to Saskatoon and give me another reason to follow the WHL next season.

He is a very talented but flawed player. He has a ton of skill and shares some similarities with a young Leon Draisaitl (but clearly inferior), and the biggest difference between Lewandowski and Draisaitl is that he lacks the processing speed to fully utilize his vision and playmaking ability.

If you give him time and space he can pick most defences apart, but under pressure he will often struggle and turn into a non-factor. If he can either figure out how to process the game faster or find ways to create more time and space for himself and make others play at his speed, he could become a very interesting prospect.

Thanks...Could be an interesting one to watch then. see what happens.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
It seems like Gridin will be traded, but not to Rimouski.

Moncton? Chicoutimi? Cape Breton?

Those are the contenders that would probably give a good return for Gridin.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Man, what happened to all the Danish and Norwegian prospects? Seems they dried up big time and the only one drafted was Linde who looks like a bottom 6 CHLer at this point.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
It seems like Gridin will be traded, but not to Rimouski.

Moncton? Chicoutimi? Cape Breton?

Those are the contenders that would probably give a good return for Gridin.

I think Cape Breton has said that they’re sticking with their guys, but Moncton and Chicoutimi make sense.

If I had to put money on it, Moncton would be my bet. In a go for it year and going all out.

He’d fit with Chicoutimi’s age group though.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Fun fact. All 5 Swiss born players and 5 of 6 players drafted out of Switzerland were selected by QMJHL teams.

galixon97

Jul 3, 2024
So out of Switzerland I think that Schenk and Sansonnens are locks to commit. Pekar and Steiner are likely. Bosson, Cjunskis and Pedrotti are the wild cards. I have no idea. Bosson could definitely help Drummondville but I thought would be playing SL next season. Pedrotti is a kid I didn't even have on my list for this import draft. 07 late birthday. Played mostly U17 last season. Not NHL draft eligible until 2026. Harijs Cjunskis is another head scratcher. Very surprising picks. I'm not sure if those two have what it takes to play CHL next season. It's definitely a step up from the Swiss U20 elite league.

Any info on Schenk? scouting report?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Any info on Schenk? scouting report?
One of three 07 born Swiss kids I figured would be good enough to play CHL. Two of them, both forwards, got drafted.

Schenk was born into a famous Swiss hockey family. Towering playmaking Centerman with elite Vision/hockey IQ and soft hands. Skating is a work in progress. Has been the top Swiss 07 born for years but kinda got caught by Lars Steiner, the other Swiss 07 forward drafted in the 2024 import draft. Schenk is still a respectable prospect in his own right and if he has a good start in Saint John he should get drafted into the NHL as well. I don't have any confirmation but I'm pretty sure he's gonna commit and move to NA.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I put the results with DOBs and some other info on a sortable table. I deleted the passes but kept the OA selection numbers for reporting purposes. I know the Swiss Jr. League is called U20-Elit but I used the old name instead and I'm too busy to go back and change it. Should be easy to copy and paste this table onto your own spreadsheet

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I put the results with DOBs and some other info on a sortable table. I deleted the passes but kept the OA selection numbers for reporting purposes. I know the Swiss Jr. League is called U20-Elit but I used the old name instead and I'm too busy to go back and change it. Should be easy to copy and paste this table onto your own spreadsheet

Thanks. CHL made a mistake though. Lars Steiner never played for Bern. He's from the opposite side of the country (Davos).

Trav

Aug 2, 2005

Well the Blades GM just said in their press release that Lewandowski hasn't committed yet and that he wanted to try the DEL route first so so see what happens with him I guess. Maybe a year from now he'll come over? Curious to see how that goes.

Reactions: Maverick41

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
Man, what happened to all the Danish and Norwegian prospects? Seems they dried up big time and the only one drafted was Linde who looks like a bottom 6 CHLer at this point.
Sweden is just more lucrative. Each year there are top NHL prospects from (obviously) Sweden, (and also) Switzerland, Slovakia, Norway. USHL closes in on CHL, and even top Canadian prospects go the NCAA route, while top EU prospects already play with men in their draft year. CHL with all its drafts and restrictions becomes more of a gamble league for average level prospects, who choose to go there in hopes of getting noticed by scouts in case they are not good enough for EU leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad