Confirmed with Link: Tanev Signs With Leafs | 6 Years $4.5 Million AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
The leafs always have to give everything, never get a discount. 6 years, 80% signing bonus, and a full NMC the whole through and still couldn’t get him lower

Glad to have him, but who the f*** is negotiating these contracts
You realize the number of teams who want Tanev are massive right. He's easily getting 4.5 mil minimum within the first 30 seconds after noon if we didn't sign him

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Will be interesting to see what happens when he retires early (or hangs out in LTIR). While not 35+, there are provisions in the CBA for cap circumvention like this after the fact.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Tell me how to feel, I am on the fence

One of the best defensive defenseman in the league over the last couple years. Very good shot suppression and skates very well. He's a beast on the PK as well.

The less good side is that he does have a history of injuries and he's not young anymore. Leafs are betting on a very good player short-term and worry about the long-term when we get there.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Apologies for not knowing in advance, but is this subject to the 35+ cap restrictions regarding retirement? I think we may be in the clear since Tanev is currently 34. Whether or not he actually leaves $4.5m/yr on the table as he approaches retirement age is of course TBD, but this could realistically be a 4ish year contract

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Tanev is a better dmen than Roy than everyone here wanted to pay 6M + but yeah for sure older.. lenght is heavy but i've got the feeling than the Pesce,Roy,Montour, Zadorov will be heavily high and some here will be surprise high number will be

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
No issue with this at all, even including the NMC.

Tanev has had his health issues improve as of late, which is the ONLY concern. But that is also why he is still so coveted as those concerns start to disolve.

He works hard, he will age well as mobility doesnt define his defensive presence.

The last two years are the question, but thats what Robidas island is for.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Apologies for not knowing in advance, but is this subject to the 35+ cap restrictions regarding retirement? I think we may be in the clear since Tanev is currently 34. Whether or not he actually leaves $4.5m/yr on the table as he approaches retirement age is of course TBD, but this could realistically be a 4ish year contract
It is not. It's basically the only thing that salvages this contract.

Reactions: Primary Assist

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He's not a 35+ contract.

Reactions: Primary Assist

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Another home town boy takes the Leafs to the cleaners
I mean, we cry about Boosh getting exposed when he's paired with Rielly against contenders in the playoffs but at the same time don't want to pay an average salary to a defender who fixes that problem for at least 2 years?

Let's worry about year 3 later. The dynamics of the team will probably change even more by then.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Tanev is a better dmen than Roy than everyone here wanted to pay 6M + but yeah for sure older.. lenght is heavy but i've got the feeling than the Pesce,Roy,Montour, Zadorov will be heavily high and some here will be surprise high number will be

If Zadorov rejected Vancouver's offer, 6x6 is a possibility. Hopefully this signing keeps Treliving away from it.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
It is not. It's basically the only thing that salvages this contract.
Thank you for confirming. I think this is a very reasonable contract then for a UFA. This is likely in line with his market value, though other GMs may have stayed away from the NMC sweetener.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
As long as he stays healthy. Hope it’s not Muzzin part 2.
As far as the player, I like him.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruaware41

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Is Tanev any better than 20-21 and 21-22 Brodie?

Hes older, more injury prone, and somehow less offensively inclined than Brodie

Our defense in 2021-2022 playoffs had:

Rielly - Lubyuskin (round 1)
Muzzin - Brodie
Giordano (pre fall off) - Holl (pre being pure shit)
Sandin - Lilijgren

The current defense will be worse then that a by lot, and that defense itself wasnt good enough to win come playoffs

Reactions: ruaware41

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
The leafs always have to give everything, never get a discount.

I'd say Domi gave them a discount.

6 years, 80% signing bonus, and a full NMC the whole way through and still couldn’t get him lower

Glad to have him, but who the f*** is negotiating these contracts

$4.5m for a player of his quality is fine. The term doesn't really matter as they can send him to Robidas Island, he can retire, or whatever.

Reactions: socko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad