Rumor: All about Alex DeBrincat -possible trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
What? Debrincat was great in his lone playoff run, Compher couldn't piss a drop in the playoffs this year and his play in the playoffs is why they didn't resign him.
Going to sign him long term for 9M based on his lone playoff run?
I'm just speculating, but he seems the type of player who can be silenced during the playoffs - and he doesn't bring much to the table if he isn't scoring.
Compher won't light up the score sheet regular season or playoffs, but he does bring other things to the table.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
We should get him free as UFA.

Ottawa failed this and won't deserve any incentives.

Im fine with waiting it out or just signing a big free agent next year if we cant be in on any one in the current market. Likely a Debrincat doesnt push us in the playoffs anyways, and we have two 1st rounders next year. We have a lot of assets. Dont think we should overpay with the amount of teams wanting cap relief soon, Yzerman playing the long game with weaponizing cap space.

I think we improve enough with development and roster moves that its going to be another year of a better product to watch as a fan.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
That doesn't given you the feeling the Sens are working on trades or a long-term contract. Not sure what Dorion's gambit is, teams have less cap space now that they have gone shopping via free agency.

ADC doesn't want to be there, so he will eventually be traded.

Going to sign him long term for 9M based on his lone playoff run?
I'm just speculating, but he seems the type of player who can be silenced during the playoffs - and he doesn't bring much to the table if he isn't scoring.
Compher won't light up the score sheet regular season or playoffs, but he does bring other things to the table.

Why do you say that about playoffs when he had 6 pts in 9 playoff games? Not saying he will keep that up, but 6 pts as a 22 year old playoff rookie is better than Dylan did in his rookie playoffs.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
ADC doesn't want to be there, so he will eventually be traded.

Why do you say that about playoffs when he had 6 pts in 9 playoff games? Not saying he will keep that up, but 6 pts as a 22 year old playoff rookie is better than Dylan did in his rookie playoffs.
I don't feel comfortable banking on him big money, long term based on one playoff performance. I think you need to be wise about who you give those types of contracts to. Don't want to be locked in on a type of player who is likely to be less a factor come playoff time.
Its simply my opinion on who Debrincat will be as a playoff regular and why I'd rather wait for a better player/situation to give that sort of term and money to, not to mention giving up assets for the right to lock him in for that term and money.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't feel comfortable banking on him big money, long term based on one playoff performance. I think you need to be wise about who you give those types of contracts to. Don't want to be locked in on a type of player who is likely to be less a factor come playoff time.
Its simply my opinion on who Debrincat will be as a playoff regular and why I'd rather wait for a better player/situation to give that sort of term and money to, not to mention giving up assets for the right to lock him in for that term and money.

I am not all in on him either and his size and contract is a concern, but honestly that aren't that many goal scorers in the NHL and we have no good shoot first players currently and none in the pipeline. Kubalik is our only shoot first mentality player and he is at best a 2nd/3rd line guy on a good team. Here he may play on the 1st line at times, but that is because we are very weak in goalscoring, among the bottom 3-5 teams in the league in pure ability to score.

A team full of 2 way guys can only score so much, that you need at least one guy who is good at that. If not Debrincat we need to be heavily looking at other players in that mold. We didn't draft any either.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
A team full of 2 way guys can only score so much, that you need at least one guy who is good at that. If not Debrincat we need to be heavily looking at other players in that mold. We didn't draft any either.
Clayton Keller might be available. Going to cost more though.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Clayton Keller might be available. Going to cost more though.

I think the only we he gets traded is if this next season they don't get their arena situation figured out. Apparently they have 6 locations they are thinking about buying and building an arena in the Arizona area. Apparently they are supposed to let the NHL know by mid season what their plan is.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Fabbri 5'11 - Larkin 6'1 - Perron 6'1
Kubalik 6'2 - Compher 6'0 - Raymond 5'10
Sprong 6'0 - Copp 6'1 - Berggren 5'11
Kostin 6'4 - Rasmussen 6'6 - Fischer 6'2
-----------
Veleno 6'1
Kasper 6'1
Söderblom 6'8
Zadina 6'0
Danielson 6'2
Mazur 6'0

People were worrying about the offence being too small with DeBrincat.

I don't think that's the case. Forward core is quite big, for now and for the future.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
So, just read that it's not Ottawa holding things up. They have let Cats agent talk to prospective trade partners on an extension but Cats agent is holding tight on a 8 year $8.75M per extension abd teams are bailing once they hear that BS. Teams are said to be offering more in the high 7 to $8M range only. They said his agent seems to be holding on the 40 goal player he was rather than his last years version.

Glad Steve didn't get sucked in on this one. If his agent would have taken a 3 year deal at $8.25M Steve probably would have rolled the dice.

Reactions: Henkka

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
^^ I understand the Agent's point of view. Here is one of the best wingers in hockey because he is a "40" goal scorer. It doesn't matter if he played with a 110-120 point player.

Also to the poster that said we would rather put our money into Debrincat vs Compher.

There is an equation here that comes with a high priced player:

Debrincat 8.75 + Kostin 2
Or
Compher 5.1 + Bertuzzi 5.5 (Example)

10-11M buys 2 players, not 1.

And when you pay big money to someone, you also pull the money out of another player.
(See Toronto)

So in essence you get a 1st liner and a 4th liner or maybe two second liners.

Every over pay contract pulls other talented people out of your lineup.

I am not a big fan of the Compher deal either, its likely 1M too much. I hate over paying players.
And I get it, that's how UFA works. Its a bidding process. But bottom line, our future is based on how our prospects work out... it will not be based on who we overpay. And the reason most are upset is many of our initial prospects have not worked out (Rasmussen/Zadina), and 2 have (Seider, Raymond)... and we still don't know about the last 3 (Edvinsson, Kasper, Danielson)

Reactions: SoupNazi

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Teams are said to be offering more in the high 7 to $8M range only. They said his agent seems to be holding on the 40 goal player he was rather than his last years version.

Glad Steve didn't get sucked in on this one.

Good to hear. Team's aren't stupid anymore.

Jesper Bratt is best DeBrincat comparable. Small winger, same draft class. He has scored more points on last 2 seasons. Got 8 years 7.85M.

That's the carbon copy ballpark teams are offering for DeBrincat.

1688473781340.png

Bratt more points and better points per game from 2 seasons (0.92 > 0.88).

Last edited:
Reactions: Murmansk16A

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Tbh I'm not interested in DBC at the trade prices being discussed. I don't view him as having the long term transformative effect to justify giving away roster players who are trending upwards as well as high draft picks.

And frankly, given how few teams there are with cap space, how few teams DBC wants to play for, and how the Sens have negotiated this one, I have no interest in giving the Sens similar asset value to what they paid for a potential 1 year UFA who will command a massive salary and has requested a trade and made clear he won't resign, when he has a game that is not obviously a perfect mesh with our roster.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I'd give up a boston 1st Ras and Berg for him

The Boston 1st Kubalik. Wallinder, and a second round pick in 2024
These are absurd. The cap space obtained is a weapon too (basically a part of the trade).
It sounds like Ottawa may have Tarasenko ready to sign and waiting for DeBrincat trade.

Could you imagine getting;
Tarasenko, Rasmussen, Berggren and a 1st round pick
For
DeBrincat (who won’t play for you)

Ottawa would be laughing so hard. I understand we have to do what’s in our own best interest. But we could just sign Tarasenko and keep everything.. It sounds like he is talking with Ottawa and Carolina (not exactly hot spots).

Last edited:
Reactions: Nut Upstrom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad