Rumor: All about Alex DeBrincat -possible trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
My sense is the posturing from the DrBrincat camp about contract demands is an effort to get him to Detroit. It wouldn’t shock me if he wants Meier money from any other team to try and make a trade less palatable, but on the off chance another teams pulls the trigger, DeBrincat gets a big contract. I have to imagine both DeBrincat and his agent know they are coming in below Larkin in Detroit.

I still don’t think that guarantees he gets dealt here though.

Reactions: wings95

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
If you wait for free agency, every team in the league can negotiate a contract with him.

If you trade for him now, only one team can ... Detroit.
Yes and Yzerman has shown a willingenss to go after guys to ensure they don't hit the open market (see: Husso). He's said as much in interviews.

I'd bet the stumbling block here is Ottawa's asking price. They gave up the #7 and #39 OA picks (and a third) for him. If they don't get much back, Dorion's going to get crucified.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yes and Yzerman has shown a willingenss to go after guys to ensure they don't hit the open market (see: Husso). He's said as much in interviews.

I'd bet the stumbling block here is Ottawa's asking price. They gave up the #7 and #39 OA picks (and a third) for him. If they don't get much back, Dorion's going to get crucified.
At some point Dorion needs to just accept that he's gotta eat shit on the return. You don't get to overpay on speculation and then when it doesn't turn out as well as you hoped get your full payment back. If you gamble and lose, you lose. You don't get do-overs.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The problem Dorion has is to get the best return ADB needs to be signed long term to a team friendly contract. But, ADB likely doesn’t want to sign that contract without a trade in place. And Detroit isn’t going to agree to a big return until they know if they’re going to be saddled with an overpriced contract or not. Someone will need to blink first. And Yzerman isn’t one to blink.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
At some point Dorion needs to just accept that he's gotta eat shit on the return. You don't get to overpay on speculation and then when it doesn't turn out as well as you hoped get your full payment back. If you gamble and lose, you lose. You don't get do-overs.

I think the fact that he’s fighting for his job is probably also a factor. I assume the new ownership group eventually moves on from Dorion, but him eating an L here can’t help. But ultimately he’s screwed either way from his own hubris, so it’s going to turn into how much longer he can stomach looking like a fool.

Reactions: norrisnick

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
What is a realistic asking price for ADB? Boston first for sure and what else? And I assume that price will be higher because of a trade WITHIN the division

Last edited:

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think the fact that he’s fighting for his job is probably also a factor. I assume the new ownership group eventually moves on from Dorion, but him eating an L here can’t help. But ultimately he’s screwed either way from his own hubris, so it’s going to turn into how much longer he can stomach looking like a fool.
If he is going to get sacked by new ownership anyways, you might as well just do your best and move on from this. Take the L but then go sign Tarasenko. Sure you lost good assets for debrincat, but it got you to get Terasenko's name

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
What is a realistic asking price for ADB? Boston first for sure and what else? And I assume that price will be higher because of a trade WITHIN the division
I'd do Bostons first and Fabbri/Kubalik to clear the roster spot.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'd do Bostons first and Fabbri/Kubalik to clear the roster spot.
I would trade Fabbri as he's never healthy, but I wouldn't move a cheap 20-20 guy like Kubalik to free up a spot for a 30-30 guy. We don't have enough 20-20s as it is.

And really hesitant on the 1st too for that matter.

No one is lining up to trade for this guy. What are the Islanders capable of offering both in trade and salary? Nothing. We shouldn't get conned into bidding against ourselves.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
I would offer our first with heavy protections. Lottery protected in 2024. Top ten protected in 2025.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
love it, if we can get him we are a playoff team 100%, a cupboard full of top prospects and a good cap situation. Ppl doubting the Yzerplan will eat crow when we make the playoffs after pulling off this trade.
Ugh. It's not doubting the Yzerplan. Yzerman doesn't have some master plan where he's moving little minatures around a board. He's doing a good job understanding what his needs are and is trying to address them in the best way he can.

I get why people are frustrated and angry and blindly pumping "The Yzerplan (tm)" is annoying AF. He's just a really good GM who is making sound moves to incrementally improve which build a base so the time they actually get luck, they're ready to go.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I want Berggren more than I want DeBrincat. He's going to be a cheap as f*** 20-20 guy with 30-30 potential of his own.

Fabbri probably has to go the other way though, yes.
My reasoning is that I think they would like a young player back.
I don't want to give up Wallinder or Rasmussen, or any of those U22 prospects really.

It stands between Veleno and Berggren. Veleno we can probably replace with Kasper right away, but I would rather ease Kasper in on the wing.

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
love it, if we can get him we are a playoff team 100%, a cupboard full of top prospects and a good cap situation. Ppl doubting the Yzerplan will eat crow when we make the playoffs after pulling off this trade.
OTT is further along in their rebuild than we are and they didn't make the playoffs. You need to slow your roll if you think adding some one dimensional winger is going to propel the wings into the playoffs with all of the big gaping holes that exist on this team.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
My reasoning is that I think they would like a young player back.
I don't want to give up Wallinder or Rasmussen, or any of those U22 prospects really.

It stands between Veleno and Berggren. Veleno we can probably replace with Kasper right away, but I would rather ease Kasper in on the wing.
I would 1000% move Veleno before Berggren. Kasper has a year of center in the SHL. He'd be fine.

Can you put 2 conditions on it like that?
Have you seen the conditions on the pick that Calgary gave to Montreal?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Not sure if people already brought this up, but yesterday Marek said on TSN they he does not see how Debrincat ends up with anybody but Detroit, but that the Wings and Islanders are the two teams in the mix. (New York would have to be a much bigger trade since they're only a million under the cap and still have to sign Wahlstrom.)

They're chatting about it on 97.1 now.

I wonder if ADB isn't interested in signing long term with the Islanders, Yzerman isn't flinching with his trade offer, and Dorion is down to his final options to take anything more than what the Wings offered (which I'm now assuming is not exactly a lot).

Fingers crossed that the Wings add a 30+ goal scorer via a favorable trade, whether it's with Ottawa or not.

Reactions: wings95

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
How reliable is this guy? Has he broke any stories before?
He's a long-time Blues beat writer. I remember him best for "breaking" a story that the Wings lockeroom despised Babcock and Lidstrom was leading the charge against him. I think this was back in 2007.

Obviously there was probably some truth there but I'd take this tweet with a grain of salt...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad